Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
After running my latest update to my ATV2 last night, I let the system go untouched after watching some SkyTV. I was prepared to be met by a brick wall when I tried to watch HBO Go on it about 15 minutes ago, given the fact that so many DTV users were reporting failures to watch. However, I was met by a screen presenting me with a 6 letter activation code which I could take to hbogo.com/activate and activate my device.

I figured it was worth a shot, right? Maybe all the hellraising DTV customers had done some good. So, I went to the address, and on it was a screen ful of participating partners. I clicked the DirecTV icon, and I entered our DTV account and password, and boom, sure enough, the page thanked me for activating my ATV.

Further, back on my ATV screen, it had changed to say that my attempt to activate was successful.

So, yes kiddies, it seems like our long national winter is over! I'm now watching The Dark Knight Rises on HBOGo natively on my ATV2.

Thought I'd share the good news!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I've been watching it all day on an ATV 2 as a DTV subscriber. No issues at all.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
DirecTV wasn't an option yesterday. This is probably where most of the reports were coming in.

Edit: New today
I'm actually getting the screen below when I try to activate online.

Going to HBOGO app, Settings, Activate Device presents me with a complete black screen on the aTV itself.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-06-20 at 5.30.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-06-20 at 5.30.39 PM.png
    144.2 KB · Views: 319

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
DirecTV wasn't an option yesterday. This is probably where most of the reports were coming in.

Edit: New today
I'm actually getting the screen below when I try to activate online.

Going to HBOGO app, Settings, Activate Device presents me with a complete black screen on the aTV itself.

I would just suggest you keep trying.

Aragornii

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
If you're a DTV subscriber, why would you want HBOGo on your ATV, rather than just watching it normally? HBOGO was awesome to have on my iPad, but i cant imagine using it on my ATV.

IPadNParadise

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
If you're a DTV subscriber, why would you want HBOGo on your ATV, rather than just watching it normally? HBOGO was awesome to have on my iPad, but i cant imagine using it on my ATV.

I could be wrong, but this is my reason - I want the HBO On Demand ability to watch the stored list of movies on HBO. I know I could get this from Directv (DTV On Demand) but then I would need an Ethernet cord strung across a doorway. Love this new feature on my ATV.

Aragornii

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
I could be wrong, but this is my reason - I want the HBO On Demand ability to watch the stored list of movies on HBO. I know I could get this from Directv (DTV On Demand) but then I would need an Ethernet cord strung across a doorway. Love this new feature on my ATV.

i use the on demand functionality of my DTV quite often so I was thinking that the ATV did not offer additional functionality. I guess for those with DTV receivers with no internet connectivity, the ATV provides a good alternative.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.