Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

comics addict

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
Sorry to bother 'cause I know this is mainly a Mac forum but I am looking for a place to order a genuine Windows 7 full version license for use in Boot Camp. Microsoft still chargers full price so I am interested first into other reputable online vendors that I can get it for a slightly cheaper price. Home Premium I believe is the version I can afford and the others just seem to have features I have no use for.

Any fellow mac user that has gone through this issue themselves ? I would greatly appreciate the help.

MeatRocket

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2013
In the Sandbox
Easy - Newegg. Win 7 Home Premium $100 - Win 7 Pro $140

IF you're a student or know someone who is that can register, you can get all versions of Windows free from Microsoft Dreamspark.

comics addict

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
Easy - Newegg. Win 7 Home Premium $100 - Win 7 Pro $140

IF you're a student or know someone who is that can register, you can get all versions of Windows free from Microsoft Dreamspark.

Thanks for the heads up. I am a student but the licenses through Dreamspark are valid only for a couple of reinstalls which I have already used up due to migrating my data to a SSD :) Also prefer to have a license that I can reuse to my hearts content as long as its used on a single PC, in this case, a Mac.

PS: I don't see those prices for Windows on newegg. You sure ?

MeatRocket

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2013
In the Sandbox
This one says OEM license. Do you know that it refers to ?

Yes, it means Original Equipment Manufacturer. It's meant for people building PCs and usually only sells if you're buying a hard drive or cpu along with it, but Newegg doesn't care, they'll sell it anyway. It makes absolutely no difference when registering with Microsoft.

OEM versions come with no support from Microsoft. The support for it falls on the builder of the PC. In this case, that would be you.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Phone activation should work. Had to do it that way when I upgraded my 2011 iMac for a 2012 iMac and could not uninstall from my 2011 beforehand. A phone number and code should come up when you try to install it. Just call that number and it is a very simple process. They will ask you for the code the software has issued with the phone number. Then they will give you a code in return. The code is to verify that your copy is legit. Only took me about 10-15 minutes on the phone for total process.

Unless you are trying to install it on more than one device, phoning MS will work.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
I bought a legit OEM Win 7 Home Premium 32-bit on eBay for $70 or $75.

comics addict

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
I bought a legit OEM Win 7 Home Premium 32-bit on eBay for $70 or $75.

I have been shying away from looking at eBay in fear of purchasing a bootleg. Any tips on verifying that the copy a seller is offering is legit ?

Thanks for all your responses. So from what I have been able to gleam from all you guys is that OEM licenses work just the same the retail version ? The only difference is that Microsoft doesn't offer support for it ? Support like Apple offers under AppleCare ?

Sorry for all these questions, its just it's been so confusing finding answers to these questions from trustworthy site online because Microsoft isn't any real help.

Apple makes it so simple by only selling a single version with no license key besides your Apple ID. :mad:

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
I am a student but the licenses through Dreamspark are valid only for a couple of reinstalls which I have already used up due to migrating my data to a SSD :)

Call Microsoft to activate. I've never had a problem doing that in the past after I went over the max number of activations. Just say your hard drive crashed or something and that you have to reinstall.

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
Be careful. To install Bootcamp, you are supposed to use a FULL version of Windows. Not that there aren't ways around this but if you're trying to stay legit...

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
I bought mine from this guy, it was a legit disc and it activated fine. He only shows a 64-bit Win 7 Pro right now.

The only reason Bootcamp says to use a retail copy is because technically that's the only one you SHOULD use. Doesn't mean it's the only one you CAN use. For what it's worth, my 64-bit copy is for my gaming machine, I've used the same OEM disc to install on 2 different motherboards (upgraded the system) without an issue.

vtecintegra

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2013
Like said, microsoft won't provide any assistance with oem versions, but technically the oem is locked to the first computer you install it on. You can't generally install it on any other computer in the future and get microsoft to reactivate. With the retail version, you can legitimately move your windows to you next computer if you uninstall from the previous and they will assist with reactivating over the phone if needed.

v2kea412

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2011
Maine
Just new egg it and be done with it... if it seems to good to be true, then that's probably cause it is. $100 for OEM Win7 OS is a decent price.

yeungman

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2011
Thanks for the heads up. I am a student but the licenses through Dreamspark are valid only for a couple of reinstalls which I have already used up due to migrating my data to a SSD :) Also prefer to have a license that I can reuse to my hearts content as long as its used on a single PC, in this case, a Mac.

PS: I don't see those prices for Windows on newegg. You sure ?
If you want the ability to reuse the licence, then the OEM version might not be for you. OEM is meant to be installed on new computers by PC manufacturers.

An OEM licence binds to the first computer it's installed on. I read somewhere that during the activation process, the hardware configuration is logged. So, you can reformat/reinstall on the same computer as many times as you want even with minor hardware changes (i.e. new hard drive). But if it detects that the hardware has changed significantly (i.e. new motherboard), the activation will fail.

Some users have even had difficulty trying to use an OEM licence with Bootcamp and Parallels/VMware at the same time because the virtualized "hardware" doesn't match the machine hardware.

I haven't experienced this personally, so take this with a grain of salt and do some more research as part of your own due diligence.

comics addict

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
Like said, microsoft won't provide any assistance with oem versions, but technically the oem is locked to the first computer you install it on. You can't generally install it on any other computer in the future and get microsoft to reactivate. With the retail version, you can legitimately move your windows to you next computer if you uninstall from the previous and they will assist with reactivating over the phone if needed.

I have called but they tell me to get in contact with my college to work it out. Hence my current predicament.

comics addict

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
I just won this listings from eBay and just wanted to confirm if this is a genuine retail copy of Windows 7 Home Premium (Full Version) ? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Windows-7-Home-Premium-Full-version-2-DVDs-32-64-bit-key-code-coa-/330941862123?autorefresh=true&pt=US_Operating_Systems_Software&hash=item4d0dac10eb&nma=true&si=ORtTccJNPZIfULIMyJPmeSVS3%252B4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

It looks valid by cross-referencing it from Microsoft "How to Tell" website.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/Software.aspx#Packaging

Any help would be very much appreciate it. :)

vtecintegra

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2013
I'd guess the product is legit. I'd be more worried about "like new condition" wondering if he or someone else has already installed and activated this copy with microsoft.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.