Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
Hello, I'm travelling away on Sunday for 10 days and would like to restore my iPhone 5 back to iOS 6.1.4 while I'm away. While iOS 7 has been perfectly fine for me, I don't want to take the risk running it on my daily phone while I'm away. As soon as I return, I will be installing iOS 7 again.

The latest build I can seem to find on the Apple page is 6.1.3. Where can I download 6.1.4 for my iPhone 5?

Eric8199

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2009
Nope. Go to dfu mode and click restore. It will restore to the most current os, which is 6.1.4.

Nanasaki

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
[/COLOR]

Do I not have to download the iOS 6.1.4 file to be able to do the DFU restore back to iOS 6.1.4?

You could just connect your iPhone to your computer, then put put your phone to DFU mode. Then do restore. iTunes will find 6.1.4 for you. Or you could search iOS 6.1.4 firmware online.

i just went back from iOS 7 to iOS 6.1.3 on my iPod Touch. While iOS 7 is great in many way, i still couldn't get over with the colour choice and the lags

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
I don't prefer DFU restore because it stresses the buttons. I'm paranoid like that. :eek:

DFU restore: files not required
Shift + restore: file required

Ok, great. When you say you don't like doing it because it stresses the buttons, what do you mean? All you do is hold the buttons at the same time for 10 seconds? :confused:

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Sorry to question you, I'm sure you know what you're talking about! I've just read 6 different articles of ho to downgrade to iOS 6.1.4 using the DFU method and each one says to download the file.

http://www.iclarified.com/31004/how-to-downgrade-from-ios-7-beta-to-ios-6

In that article, what do I do when I get to step 4 if I haven't downloaded the file?

Instead of doing alt or shift + restore, just click on restore.

The reason why these articles tell you to download the file, is to save time. When you click just restore, iTunes downloads the file from Apple, and you have to wait a while for it to download. If you have the file downloaded already and do shift or alt + restore, it restores right away.

The advantage to have iTunes download the file for you is you don't have to figure out which is the correct file.

In the end, it doesn't matter which method you use, since you are just trying to restore to the current iOS version.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
Instead of doing alt or shift + restore, just click on restore.

The reason why these articles tell you to download the file, is to save time. When you click just restore, iTunes downloads the file from Apple, and you have to wait a while for it to download. If you have the file downloaded already and do shift or alt + restore, it restores right away.

The advantage to have iTunes download the file for you is you don't have to figure out which is the correct file.

In the end, it doesn't matter which method you use, since you are just trying to restore to the current iOS version.

Thank you, I understand now :)

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
19 posts when all that was needed was the first 3, not to mention the nutball 'don't do DFU because you'll stress the buttons' BS. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.