Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heimbachae

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
Ok, first off, I know there was an update. I'm just thoroughly confused that for over 3 years of ownership thinking apple was holding out for some amazing stations, we get crunchyroll??? seriously apple, why give us this crap? at least let us choose if we can uninstall it.

anyone else have any issues with these new stations? not software reliability issues, I mean issues cause I'm an apple snob issues.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
I saw it in the update. its not something i'm personally interested in but appreciate the effort to add more content.

heimbachae

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
Just hide them if you're not interested.

how? I know how to move icon but is hiding new or do I need to jailbreak?

----------

nvm, found it in parental controls. still, I own 2 appleTVs and my one Roku has way more channels that I can pick and choose. I wish appleTV would loosen it's reigns and let us do that.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
how? I know how to move icon but is hiding new or do I need to jailbreak?

----------

nvm, found it in parental controls. still, I own 2 appleTVs and my one Roku has way more channels that I can pick and choose. I wish appleTV would loosen it's reigns and let us do that.
Don't have a Roku, but I am curious what channels it has that you think are better than what the aTV offers.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I lol'ed at crunchyroll too then I realized I was hungry and went to get sushi for lunch. :D

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
[/COLOR]nvm, found it in parental controls. still, I own 2 appleTVs and my one Roku has way more channels that I can pick and choose. I wish appleTV would loosen it's reigns and let us do that.

It's not Apple, it's the content companies. Many of them don't want customers bypassing the cable box (cause then they can't charge rental fees) and they sure don't want direct subscripts without cable. And then there's the issue that they may have signed exclusive deals with other companies like Roku.

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
Don't have a Roku, but I am curious what channels it has that you think are better than what the aTV offers.

Amazon streaming,plex,external USB drive,Crackle off the top of my head.
I'd recommend taking a peek at the Roku channel "store"at roku.com to see the humongous number of channels and games(Angry Birds and Fieldrunners,for two examples).It's pretty interesting.
Many of the channels are junk,kind of like the iOS app store,but there are also some real gems too.
And the $99 Roku has an actual 21st century RF remote with a handy headphone jack and Wii-style motion control for games.

That said I love my ATV and wouldn't get rid of it for anything.Nicer interface,airplay and iTunes integration.

They are both great products.

heimbachae

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011

Roku has dedicated channels for cnet, IGN, rev3games, countless news channels, games!!, social networking sites, cooking shows, workout programs, etc. On the appleTV I can watch most shows I want through their YouTube channels, but the point I'm making is there is way more ala carte on the Roku. I thought apple was holding out for more premium services. not crunchyroll. which I never knew existed before yesterday.

It's not Apple, it's the content companies. Many of them don't want customers bypassing the cable box (cause then they can't charge rental fees) and they sure don't want direct subscripts without cable. And then there's the issue that they may have signed exclusive deals with other companies like Roku.

Apple is the wealthiest corporation in the world. no exclusive deals are out of their pocket. But you're right they probably did sign some kind of deal. once that exclusive timeframe ends I hope apple can get more custom with their channel offerings.

----------

only reason I bought the Roku was price and curiosity. it was 60 bucks and can be hooked to a non HD TV if necessary. the biggest problem I have is that it buffers. every. freakin. time. it's fuzzy, then once the signal catches up it clears. appleTV never has that issue. I also wish there was a hack to access my iTunes library through the Roku, but I won't hold my breath.

jmcgeejr

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2010
Seattle, WA
only reason I bought the Roku was price and curiosity. it was 60 bucks and can be hooked to a non HD TV if necessary. the biggest problem I have is that it buffers. every. freakin. time. it's fuzzy, then once the signal catches up it clears. appleTV never has that issue. I also wish there was a hack to access my iTunes library through the Roku, but I won't hold my breath.

If you feel up for it, you can use plex to access your itunes media. Install the plex media server on the box you have your itunes on, and then install plex on the roku.

heimbachae

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
I had plex once, I don't remember why I got rid of it. probably looked confusing and I didn't feel like learning something new that day so I swore it out of my life. I'll give it another go.

heimbachae

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
channels hidden. never thought to look in parental controls, not a parent.... yet!!! #letmetellyouaboutthecrunchyrollson

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
I've been a CR subscriber for years now, don't knock something if you haven't tried it. I was quite happy to see that it finally made it on the AppleTV, its one of the best clients available for the service. Before this the Boxee was the best option and it would have issues pop up too often where playback would be affected.

It's like my peeve with people and food "eww thats gross" "have you tried it?" "no" "then how the hell do you know you don't like it?!"

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean someone else doesn't see it as a value add.

heimbachae

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
I like sushi.... I'll check it out I guess, but I'm not promising anything.

heimbachae

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
yea, I'm not a huge fan of anime. got into deathnote a few years back but not much else. crunchyroll is a pass for me.

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
Roku has dedicated channels for cnet, IGN, rev3games, countless news channels, games!!, social networking sites, cooking shows, workout programs, etc.

I think you'll find many of these channels under Podcasts on the Apple TV. Certainly Revision3 is well represented.

A.

heimbachae

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
I think you'll find many of these channels under Podcasts on the Apple TV. Certainly Revision3 is well represented.

A.

I never got into podcasts. anyone and their mother can make one, which leads to me not caring. I also hate commercials, of any kind. they interrupt what's going in. that mostly applies to radio.

slothrob

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
I never got into podcasts. anyone and their mother can make one, which leads to me not caring.
I think you'll find that Podcasts like those from Revision3 are the same as what is offered on the dedicated Roku channel. You can chose the ones you like as Favorites and new episodes will appear on the aTV, under the Podcast button as they are released. It's like having custom channels for the aTV.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Roku has way more channels that I can pick and choose.

The Roku also has Crunchyroll. As far as channels you would actually watch, the main one that the Roku has that ATV doesn't is Amazon and that's never going to happen.

As a side note, Crunchyroll is one of the few channels other than Netflix that I actually watch on my Roku.

heimbachae

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
I think you'll find that Podcasts like those from Revision3 are the same as what is offered on the dedicated Roku channel. You can chose the ones you like as Favorites and new episodes will appear on the aTV, under the Podcast button as they are released. It's like having custom channels for the aTV.

I'll check it when I get home. any other pocasts I should steer towards or avoid?

The Roku also has Crunchyroll. As far as channels you would actually watch, the main one that the Roku has that ATV doesn't is Amazon and that's never going to happen.

As a side note, Crunchyroll is one of the few channels other than Netflix that I actually watch on my Roku.

I watch highlights of MLB on my ATV, Roku doesn't let me do that. I have a MLB account but still nothing substantial on Roku like recaps of games. Roku doesn't have YouTube which is Apples saving grace at this point. I subscribe to channels I want and watch them on ATV.

Like I said, I bought it for cheap just to see what it has to offer. I work on both so I'm now used to both. Still, the dedicated ala carte channel offering on Roku is a huge benefit. Apple has the money to make deals to offer individual channels, why they don't I'd beyond me.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Roku doesn't have YouTube which is Apples saving grace at this point. I subscribe to channels I want and watch them on ATV.

I get YouTube on my Roku through Plex. Plex is pretty good for YouTube since I'm able to watch it on my Roku and IOS devices (iPod Touch, iPhone, etc). The IOS devices will also display flash based video (since you are streaming it from your computer) unlike the YouTube IOS app.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005

Roku CR app is SD only, the AppleTV version supports 1080p or the max resolution of the series you're watching. Boxee supported HD, as well as PS3, never was sure why Roku never got HD support but its why I never bothered with it.

Toe

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2002
Amazon streaming,plex,external USB drive,Crackle off the top of my head.
I'd recommend taking a peek at the Roku channel "store"at roku.com to see the humongous number of channels and games(Angry Birds and Fieldrunners,for two examples).It's pretty interesting.
Many of the channels are junk,kind of like the iOS app store,but there are also some real gems too.
And the $99 Roku has an actual 21st century RF remote with a handy headphone jack and Wii-style motion control for games.

That said I love my ATV and wouldn't get rid of it for anything.Nicer interface,airplay and iTunes integration.

They are both great products.

Funny, I just saw this thread after I posted mine:
Why I bought -- then returned -- Roku 3

Sure, the Roku is better "on paper." Just like I'm sure some Android phones look better on paper than iPhones. And they, just like the Roku, leave a lot to be desired in terms of user experience. (At least, that has been my experience, as I detail in my post linked above.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.