Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

falconeight

Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
I returned my 11 inch macbook air today. I just couldn't get past the screen. It was very washed out and the pixels were screaming at me. Haswell at 1.3 ghz did seem really slow and choppy also. So I am back on my rMBP. Im pretty sad because I was looking forward to the battery life and compact size. In the 2 days I had it I also wasn't too impressed with the battery life. I was getting about 6 hours out of a charge.

MeatRocket

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2013
In the Sandbox
That really sucks man, sorry about your problems. I have read where people seemed to not realize full battery longevity without going through a few charge cycles. I also read that sometimes, especially on the LG screens, a specific profile was needed to bring the screen back into expected performance. The choppy Haswell I haven't seen though. Maybe you just got a dud? Apple does make high quality devices, but even they're susceptable to the occassional lemon. :(

falconeight

Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
Im pretty sure I am just spoiled by retina and it wasn't really choppy. The screen just blurs when scrolling.

sk3tch

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2003
I'm doing fine with mine...although I do much prefer my retina iPad 4 screen (of course). I have the AUO screen...and I haven't heard that much in the way of good things about it but I am fine with it.

Performance wise I have no problems. I just think people overestimate the battery life. Both my friend with a base i5 and myself with a loaded i7 are experiencing around 5 hours of life with "regular" use (us both being power users) - and that's no slouch. My '11 MBP was around 3 hours. So I'm happy!

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2010
I returned my 11 inch macbook air today. I just couldn't get past the screen. It was very washed out and the pixels were screaming at me. Haswell at 1.3 ghz did seem really slow and choppy also. So I am back on my rMBP. Im pretty sad because I was looking forward to the battery life and compact size. In the 2 days I had it I also wasn't too impressed with the battery life. I was getting about 6 hours out of a charge.

maybe you needed to calibrate from the display settings.....i had the same feeling about my 2011 macbook air but i was satisfied after i calibrate the display..

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
I was in the Apple store recently and felt the same way. I briefly considered buying the 2013 Air, but am holding out for the Haswell rMBP like originally planned.

falconeight

Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
I was in the Apple store recently and felt the same way. I briefly considered buying the 2013 Air, but am holding out for the Haswell rMBP like originally planned.

Good idea

----------

I just wonder why they couldn't have updated the screen a little bit?

hkim1983

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2009
Haswell at 1.3 ghz did seem really slow and choppy also. So I am back on my rMBP.

If you don't mind me asking, what exactly are you doing that is giving you the impression that the processor is at fault here? Unless you're really taxing the processor, there is virtually no difference in every day tasks between this and the retina model.

If you're using that much power on the go, why consider the Air at all then? The 15" seems like the only portable that would be suitable for your needs.

falconeight

Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
If you don't mind me asking, what exactly are you doing that is giving you the impression that the processor is at fault here? Unless you're really taxing the processor, there is virtually no difference in every day tasks between this and the retina model.

If you're using that much power on the go, why consider the Air at all then? The 15" seems like the only portable that would be suitable for your needs.

Nothing really taxing. Converting a video while scrolling. Im not saying that was a deal breaker. Its a great laptop, I just hate the screen. The pixels jump out at you and its washed out. I could have lived with the processor power.

curtoise

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Nothing really taxing. Converting a video while scrolling. Im not saying that was a deal breaker. Its a great laptop, I just hate the screen. The pixels jump out at you and its washed out. I could have lived with the processor power.

What do you mean by The pixels jump out at you?

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Good idea

----------

I don't even need the power of the Pro. I just do a ton of writing and can only dream of using the Retina display for reading/writing. I initially considered the Air, but after taking a look at the rMBP in recent months, I can't stand the Air's screen.

falconeight

Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
What do you mean by The pixels jump out at you?

When I look at type its all pixels. It doesn't come across as a screen that belongs on a $1200 machine. Im sorry it just doesn't.

----------

I don't even need the power of the Pro. I just do a ton of writing and can only dream of using the Retina display for reading/writing. I initially considered the Air, but after taking a look at the rMBP in recent months, I can't stand the Air's screen.

Me neither but the screen, 8gb standard ram, and the battery life is really good. I can't justify the difference. If I was on a train for 8 hours a day then I could but thats not the case.

It weights 1/2 a pound more than the 13 inch air and its just as thin as the thickest part of the 13. It also has a more powerful processor and a hdmi port.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
When I look at type its all pixels. It doesn't come across as a screen that belongs on a $1200 machine. Im sorry it just doesn't.

----------

Me neither but the screen, 8gb standard ram, and the battery life is really good. I can't justify the difference. If I was on a train for 8 hours a day then I could but thats not the case.

It weights 1/2 a pound more than the 13 inch air and its just as thin as the thickest part of the 13. It also has a more powerful processor and a hdmi port.

Totally agree, my 13" rMBP is the choice for me too. I have a 2012 Air, the screens are poor, "all pixels" as you say.

For me the screen is important, I stare at it for hours everyday, I don't want a washed out pixelated screen. The rMBP screens shouldn't and can't be undervalued, it's that good.

Nice to have a retina display on a laptop, tablet and phone!

That's the only reason the 2013"

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010

I think they want to keep the product as inexpensive as they can while still having it keep it's "premium" label and, for whatever reason, this is how they kept it. I think still using a TN panel is a mistake, although that assumes they can actually fit an IPS in there. I get the no retina thing. Tech just isn't there yet to add it in and not have it kill the battery.

But I'm sure price plays a big role in it. Just look at what happened to the price of the MBP when they started throwing retina screens in there. They can't have an 11" Retina Macbook Air having a baseline price of $1300.

falconeight

Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
I think they want to keep the product as inexpensive as they can while still having it keep it's "premium" label and, for whatever reason, this is how they kept it. I think still using a TN panel is a mistake, although that assumes they can actually fit an IPS in there. I get the no retina thing. Tech just isn't there yet to add it in and not have it kill the battery.

But I'm sure price plays a big role in it. Just look at what happened to the price of the MBP when they started throwing retina screens in there. They can't have an 11" Retina Macbook Air having a baseline price of $1300.

I wouldn't want a retina air. I just think some more pixels would have been nice. 12 hour battery life is great but come on the screen is just not good enough to justify $1200.

----------

I am a bit curious. Which has a better batt life, when both are power user. A '12 base MBP OR '13 MBA.

The current MBA destroys anything else for battery life. I get 7 to 8 hours from my rMBP. The new mba 13 gets 12. I know I get encode video an hour faster than on the air though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.