Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone5.jpg
On Saturday, Walmart will begin offering the iPhone 5 at a $60 discount (from $189 to $129) and the iPhone 4S at a $50 discount (from $89 to $39), reports Mashable. The prices are permanent, available only in-store and require signing a new 2-year contract with Verizon, Sprint, or AT&T.
We asked Walmart if the new pricing is temporary and were told that no, this is in fact the permanent price of the items. The new price is only available in Walmart stores and is not available online.

The price drop is also notable because Apple has historically limited the degree to which retailers can drop prices on its products. Although some retailers such as Walmart routinely discount items by $10, cutting the price by more than 30% (in the case of the iPhone 5) and nearly 70% (in the case of the iPhone 4S) is unprecedented.
While it is not unusual to see seasonal sales at Walmart, it is odd to see a drastic, permanent price cuts on one of Apple's devices. iPhone pricing, however, has grown increasingly competitive in recent months, which has led to significant price drops at multiple retailers. Best Buy, for example, dropped the iPhone 5 price by $50 in May and recently reintroduced a successful trade-in program to allow iPhone 4/4S users to upgrade to the iPhone 5 at no cost.

It is likely that stores are also aiming to get rid of existing inventory before the introduction of the iPhone 5S, which is expected to be announced in the fall. In recent weeks, news of Apple's upcoming refreshed iPhone has been picking up, and this morning, photos of the device itself surfaced. The iPhone 5S is expected to come equipped with an improved camera, a dual LED rear flash, and a fingerprint sensor.

Walmart's discounted iPhone pricing is set to begin this Saturday, on June 22 and will last indefinitely.

Article Link: Walmart to Discount iPhone 5 By $60 Beginning Saturday

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
ie. This is a new price that will be introduced in all stores around the same time.

So it begins.

Last edited:

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
It is likely that stores are also aiming to get rid of existing inventory before the introduction of the iPhone 5S, which is expected to be announced in the fall.

How much stock does Wal-Mart keep if the current inventory level would have an effect on the inventory months from now?

Today is June 21st. Let's say we won't see the iPhone 5S until August 21st.

Are you telling me that Wal-Mart has 2 months of inventory in their possession?

I can't imagine any retail store holding that much inventory... especially $650 iPhones. I would guess Wal-Mart orders iPhones fairly frequently instead of placing giant orders.

Thoughts? Does anyone here work at Wal-Mart or have information about their cell phone inventory?

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
This would be a great opportunity for me to use one of the available upgrades on my family plan to sell it on eBay but I think I'll wait for the 5S since I'll be able to get a lot more.

photographypro

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
American in Pisa (Italy)
This is $70 off!

This is $70 off Apple's price, $60 off their former price.

Fry's also sells all memory sizes of the iPhone 5 for $60 off Apple's price.

Looks like Walmart only sells the 16GB version according to their website.

And Sprint will give you $100 off ANY model and free activation ($36) if you bring your number over from another carrier through July 18th.

Choices, choices!

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
Wish the prices were better here in Australia.

At a leading phone company the min cost is $264 ($11pm on 24 month contract) plus the contract at $60pm so thats $1704 over 2 years for a 16Gb iPhone5.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Seems a little early to be clearing stocks to get ready for the next iPhone, whatever it will be named. That's probably three months away.

But it's a great price!

clickerman

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2010
Walmart is not clearing stock. Apple is trying to goose sales until their new products come out later this year.

scbn

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2010
This is not isolated to Wal-Mart. Best Buy is also putting iPhones on sales. This probably means Apple is pushing out the inventory of iPhone 5 by giving some kinds of discounts to the retailers.

Looking forward to an :apple: event in July for the new iPhones.

Ivabign

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2011
SoCal
Another interesting Walmart wrinkle is that unlike most resellers, they do not charge sales tax on the subsidized portion of the phone. They will only charge tax on the $129.00. At least in California.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Looking forward to an :apple: event in July for the new iPhones.

I'm actually writing this for the second time as my iPhone 5 crashed when I was about to send it.

Long story short: iOS 7 is far from release, buggiest beta I've ever used, and to think that the new iPhone will be released next month is insanity. Apple always releases a new iPhone with new iOS software. They said autumn, they mean autumn. At this point even late September might be pushing it. I wouldn't rule out October based on my experience with iOS 7 thus far.

Trust me guys who haven't used iOS 7—you do not want them to release this to you next month on an iPhone 5S. You will do nothing but rage and complain if you use this software. It is not ready. It will not be ready soon. Yesterday was the first day of summer. Come back in three months.

blitzer09x87

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2013
thanks but no thanks, i'll wait for the iphone 5s, but i'd say that this is a great move by apple, this would further affect the s4's dying sales.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Well it looks like Apple's run of high priced, fat margined products is waning. Good news all around.

Sooner or later people wake up to the fact that although Apple makes good products, perhaps they're not "Magical & Revolutionary" after all.

As the "Steve Jobs Effect" wears off, reality sets in.

----------

Wow. Steve fought long and hard to make Apple stores perfect, to display his creations in a way that sets them apart.

Now they are in Walmart bargain bin. WTF??

Steve Jobs is the one who approached WalMart to place his products with this mass market low end retailer. He knew sooner or later there was no avoiding it.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Wow. Steve fought long and hard to make Apple stores perfect, to display his creations in a way that sets them apart.

Now they are in Walmart bargain bin. WTF??

Wal Mary has been selling apple products for almost a decade

Silver Pegasus

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
Although Walmart won't stock anywhere near levels that would last 2 months, they are likely to have a stock commitment with Apple.

Say the rumours for 2 new phones Flagship and a cheaper version are true then the iPhone 4S and 5 will be discontinued. Everyone including Apple themselves will be wanting rid of what they are committed to with manufacturers, part suppliers etc. This has been less of a problem in the past but this launch it will be different.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.