Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ineedhelpasap

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
Hi, first of all i would like to apologize if some of the stuff i am about to say sounds dumb to you guys as i am not too knowledgeable on this stuff, i am just here to seek some advice from you guys. so my friend has an iphone 5 and is currently running the ios 7 beta version. They are not a developer.

Basically this is what happened-
They downloaded the iphone 5 6.1.4 firmware but instead of downloading the gsm one, they installed the CDMA version. They then restored the phone using the CDMA. They turned the phone on and it took them through the steps you would usually take when you get a newly restored phone. THE PROBLEM: it said the device wasnt registered as a part of the iphone developer program. Itunes then said that you had to pay $99 a year to register and it wouldnt let them get to the restore screen and the phone wont go further than that message. I am here to see if there is any way they can restore the phone back to normal without having to do the developer stuff. Thank you guys again.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Try putting the phone into DFU mode (google for instructions), and then restore to iOS 6.1.4, using the correct firmware.

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
Doesnt he have to update instead of restore??? if you restore than you will see the developer activation message!

imaginex20

macrumors 65832
Jun 17, 2009
I didn't even know iTunes would let you install the wrong firmware. Usually it'll give an error.

You are correct. The OP just didn't have a registered UDID and that is why the activation screen is shown. iTunes wouldn't even let you proceed with the restore if the wrong firmware was used

ineedhelpasap

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
Try putting the phone into DFU mode (google for instructions), and then restore to iOS 6.1.4, using the correct firmware.

they tried doing that but itunes wouldnt let them get to the restore screen as they had not registered their device.

----------

Doesnt he have to update instead of restore??? if you restore than you will see the developer activation message!

what do you mean by update it? is there a way to update it without having to install any firmware into the phone because they cant get to the restore screen

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
they tried doing that but itunes wouldnt let them get to the restore screen as they had not registered their device.

----------

what do you mean by update it? is there a way to update it without having to install any firmware into the phone because they cant get to the restore screen

You have to go into DFU mode then restore to iOS 6.1.4. Then, if you want to go back to iOS 7 beta 1, because you're not a developer, you have to shift + update to the iOS 7 beta 1 file for your device.

Honestly though, if you don't know what you're doing, I would stay on iOS 6.1.4.

Quercus Alba

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2013

----------

DFU is the only way.

Tell your friend this:
1) go to http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/
2) select and download iOS 6.1.4 for the iPhone 5
3) Plug the iPhone into his computer, open iTunes
4) Go into DFU mode (press and hold home+lock buttons simultaneously for 10 seconds, then release the lock button, whilst holding the home button until iTunes responds)
5) iTunes will display a message saying that an iPhone in recovery mode has been detected
6) in iTunes, shift+click (windows) or alt/option click (OS X) the RESTORE button
7) navigate to the iOS 6.1.4 ipsw file you downloaded in step 1
8) restore the phone.
9) stop being a mug

If this doesn't work, your friend is simply doing it wrong.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
DFU is the only way.

Tell your friend this:
1) go to http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/
2) select and download iOS 6.1.4 for the iPhone 5
3) Plug the iPhone into his computer, open iTunes
4) Go into DFU mode (press and hold home+lock buttons simultaneously for 10 seconds, then release the lock button, whilst holding the home button until iTunes responds)
5) iTunes will display a message saying that an iPhone in recovery mode has been detected
6) in iTunes, shift+click (windows) or alt/option click (OS X) the RESTORE button
7) navigate to the iOS 6.1.4 ipsw file you downloaded in step 1
8) restore the phone.
9) stop being a mug

If this doesn't work, your friend is simply doing it wrong.

Make sure they download the correct iOS 6.1.5 iPhone 5 file.

Prawnstar69

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2012
nobody mentioned the other way?? suprised. instead of DFU Mode he can pay 99$ and get a dev account and register the UDID :D

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
Okay to clarify for OP - iTunes should have thrown up an error beforehand but regardless the reason your friend is getting that message is because he tried to restore instead of update to iOS7 without having their UDID registered.

You could pay a couple of dollars to get the UDID registered and try again, but to be honest if he didn't even realise he had to get a UDID registration then I wouldn't put him near the beta!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.