Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timehacker11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2013
I can't understand why Apple is calling a non-expandable, no disc drive machine a "Pro" machine.

"Pro's", aka Professionals, do NOT want external expansion boxes cluttering their desk just because Apple deems it necessary to not allow people to expand it's internal components. ("expansion is external")

Professional users also want to burn media (videos, photos, etc) to DVDs and Blu Rays. Now, on top of a ~$3000+ machine, they have to purchase an additional external drive just to do that. Apple is not gonna undercut the price of the high end ridiculously priced 15" rMBP. ($2799)

Don't get me started on the internal storage. WHY can Pros NOT expand the internal storage? Yes, there are external drives, but when it comes down to it, it's yet ANOTHER external expansion box, cluttering an already cluttered desk.

Larry-K

macrumors 68000
Jun 28, 2011
The only way we'll settle this argument is through the marketplace.

We'll just have to wait and see.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
The only way we'll settle this argument is through the marketplace.

We'll just have to wait and see.

There really isn't an argument. Apple and anyone with eyes knows this is Apple's attempt to gracefully exit the serious market and move into the Mickey Mouse/ "I'm a Director because I make wedding & graduation videos" market.

The serious folk need power with no compromises or middle man adapters. They want software that doesn't have excuses or silly limits. "What do you mean you need multi cam support? Just shoot with fewer cameras, see we SAVED you money !!!"

The wedding video guys are satisfied with a few sparkle dazzle spinning stars transitions and....a computer in a can.

Oh yes they do!!! Read these forums and you'll see!! :eek:

Yes, it would seem most of Apple's shills have been posting all sorts of glowing comments.

ABCDEF-Hex

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2013
NC
I hear there's a new thread called Towers Forever

I can't understand why Apple is calling a non-expandable, no disc drive machine a "Pro" machine.

"Pro's", aka Professionals, do NOT want external expansion boxes cluttering their desk just because Apple deems it necessary to not allow people to expand it's internal components. ("expansion is external")

Professional users also want to burn media (videos, photos, etc) to DVDs and Blu Rays. Now, on top of a ~$3000+ machine, they have to purchase an additional external drive just to do that. Apple is not gonna undercut the price of the high end ridiculously priced 15" rMBP. ($2799)

Don't get me started on the internal storage. WHY can Pros NOT expand the internal storage? Yes, there are external drives, but when it comes down to it, it's yet ANOTHER external expansion box, cluttering an already cluttered desk.

Buy an iMac then you'll have a neat desk. :)

Larry-K

macrumors 68000
Jun 28, 2011
There really isn't an argument. Apple and anyone with eyes knows this is Apple's attempt to gracefully exit the serious market and move into the Mickey Mouse/ "I'm a Director because I make wedding & graduation videos" market.

The serious folk need power with no compromises or middle man adapters. They want software that doesn't have excuses or silly limits. "What do you mean you need multi cam support? Just shoot with fewer cameras, see we SAVED you money !!!"

The wedding video guys are satisfied with a few sparkle dazzle spinning stars transitions and....a computer in a can.

Yes, it would seem most of Apple's shills have been posting all sorts of glowing comments.
Well if "Pros" buy it and use it, it's a success, if they don't it's not. Seems pretty simple to me.

I wouldn't have ever even thought of wedding video editors, but, sure, they can be Pros.

Frankly, I find video editing the dullest thing to do, on the planet, but there are plenty of "Pros" doing it.

If you're so serious about having all the power and none of the limitations, you moved on from Apple a long time ago. Nobody with those needs would wait three years for a new machine.

I haven't seen the machine up close. The guy using Mari said it was very good, I'll defer to him for the moment, but I'll make my own decision apart from the cacophony of vitriol surrounding the announcement.

If you're a "Real Pro" you have to make up your own mind on business decisions all the time. This is just one more.

At least you're not stuck with a consumer grade monitor permanently attached, that's one small blessing.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
"Pro's", aka Professionals, do NOT want external expansion boxes cluttering their desk

Apparently you've never seen a pro at work. If you don't use redundant storage (usually external) then you're asking for trouble.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal

No they don't!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Apparently you've never seen a pro at work. If you don't use redundant storage (usually external) then you're asking for trouble.

That's for back up and that be done on one (two if you rotate it) external HD via Time Machine. Heck you can use a RAID 1 external and have redundancy all in one HD enclosure. If you're using like 5 external HDs for back ups, then I guess this is no issue for you.

Yea you can use externals for main storage, but having lots of externals laying around can get cluttery. With six thunderbolt ports, that can ad up fast. Plus each port can be daisy chained so it could go even more.

I rather have main storage be inside and back up be external. Or backup to a server. With the new Mac Pro, things will get cluttery which goes against the whole "Apple thing." Think the iMac. The iMac is used by pros, and it's a minimal set up.

Don't assume that all pros use all externals for everything.

And that's the only gripe about the new Mac Pro...you can't change anything. I'm not sure about RAM, but the graphics I don't believe can be changed out. Stupid for a pro machine. The HDs connect via PCIe, I'm not sure about that. If you can't change out those, then Apple has built an amazing yet crippled machine.

sbrage2000

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2006
And that's the only gripe about the new Mac Pro...you can't change anything. I'm not sure about RAM, but the graphics I don't believe can be changed out. Stupid for a pro machine. The HDs connect via PCIe, I'm not sure about that. If you can't change out those, then Apple has built an amazing yet crippled machine.

I'm going to be cautiously optimistic about the upgrade potential of the new Mac Pro. Looking at the demo on Apple's site, it seems to me that things are fairly accessible and bolted in, rather than soldered. Memory and hard drive definitely look like an easy upgrade. The processors on current gen MacPros are technically replaceable though few people do it b/c its a major PITA. This one looks like it may actually be easier. Who knows about the graphics cards, since they are definitely a specialized design for the form factor, but I think it would be foolish of them to not offer some kind of upgrade path. Who knows? Apple has certainly been foolish about these things in the past but we can always hope.

timehacker11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2013
Buy an iMac then you'll have a neat desk. :)

And a computer I cannot upgrade.

For the same price as the iMac, I can get something that has double the power AND can be upgraded overtime meaning that I'll always get the latest parts. Once you get the iMac, your screwed into purchasing another $1299+ computer in a few years when you could have just spent $100 - $350 on a new graphics card / processor.

And don't say "just get it because it's an iMac." iMacs use the same damn parts as other computers, and probably cost a whole lot less for Apple to purchase due to bulk purchasing, meaning Apple makes hand over fist money by screwing their customers into purchasing non-upgradable computers.

They're doing the same with the Mac Pro. Apple doesn't want pros upgrading internal parts because they won't have to buy thunderbolt to do so. Thunderbolt is even more money into Apple's pocket. Why do you think there's six thunderbolt ports? That's an extra $234 JUST in thunderbolt cables.

Last edited by a moderator:

dmax35

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2012

The serious folk need power with no compromises or middle man adapters.

I know one of those so called Mickey Mouse directors who makes wedding videos who bought one of your cards. I'm sure he"ll be pleased to hear you call him that. I think your scared of the new Mac Pro. Otherwise you wouldn't be spouting off so much about it.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Don't buy an R2D2 pro. Problem solved. Good lord, do you people not know this company? A huge majority of Apple products have not been upgradeable going on 10+ years now, it was going to make it to the "Pro" line eventually especially with their modern focus on controlling all the hardware. If you can't handle that then get a PC or an older Mac Pro. You can be a professional without using a Mac.

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008

That's for back up and that be done on one (two if you rotate it) external HD via Time Machine. Heck you can use a RAID 1 external and have redundancy all in one HD enclosure. If you're using like 5 external HDs for back ups, then I guess this is no issue for you.

That's not necessarily true. While it's certainly used for redundancy (hence why RAID 5 is so popular), it's just as much about performance.

beelzebubba

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2013
I put this on the other MacPro thread...

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/17473867/

The lack of slots and internal drives aren't an issue because we've been using chassis and external and network storage for around 10 years. Or almost 10 years. After about 35 years in the biz it gets a bit foggy sometimes... :D

I'll also add that as a rule burning copies of the work isn't what we do most of the time. In fact in most of the big houses it's verbotten to take the work product out unless it's authorized. We do burn somethings from time to time for some to proof but these days we can proof in other ways and if something is going into production we certainly aren't burning it to a disk for a master from the workstation.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
Dear OP,

Some professionals require nothing more than a 486 for their daily job tasks. The "Pro" in Mac Pro is purely marketing. :)

Relax and chill ^^ While I think PCIe slots and internal drives beat having a bunch of external boxes and dongles, it is what it is. Unfortunately, I doubt Apple would "see the light" if the new Mac Pro had poor sales, they'd just use that as an excuse to stop selling the dang thing altogether xD

I doubt Apple was targeting anyone in particular with the new Mac Pro though! It would be an excellent machine for a lot of people. Granted, I think it's silly that they made it so small you can't jam dual xeon chips inside. Oh well.

I'll join into the broken record crowd that keeps dreaming and wishing for a mid-end mac tower with an i7 and expansion. You know how Apple could make a lot of us extremely happy? If they licensed their firmware to a motherboard manufacturer like Asus or Gigabyte and sold a special OS X motherboard.

I'd be all over that. A simple ATX board that can be stuck inside of anything and easily/legally run OS X!

beelzebubba

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2013
You know how Apple could make a lot of us extremely happy? If they licensed their firmware to a motherboard manufacturer like Asus or Gigabyte and sold a special OS X motherboard.

Ask Steve Kahng how that worked out last time... :cool:

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
Ask Steve Kahng how that worked out last time... :cool:

Getting $100 million in Apple stock at $4.80 per share?
Let see.....
$100,000,000 / $4.80 = 20,833,333 shares
AAPL at $413.50

It worked out (to a potential) $8.6 billion.

Worked out pretty well I would say.

grooveattack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
Yeah your right, 7 Teraflops, this is just a new Mac mini. :rolleyes:

External expansion is much better than internal. With my old pro pulling it out on to the desk and basically taking the whole thing apart to swap out one drive was a pain. Now I can store the mac pro out of sight and just have my hard drive bay on desk. win.

Also may I direct you to the news post: https://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/1...ase-mac-pro-stashed-inside-a-giant-metal-box/

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
Selling a special run of ATX boards (or ****, Apple could just sell the boards themselves) is not the same as giving free reign to other manufacturers to make computers.

d-m-a-x

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2011
No Pci slot was a punch in the gut for me. Good bandwith is now under lock and key. Storage i can deal with, Mac Pro 1,1 is a very elegant solution and will be the server.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan

Yup! They sure do. External media rocks! It can go mobile from station to station or from location to location. Here, check this out:

Almost every storage device they use is external. External devices make so much more sense to me. And unless you're silly in your consumerism at very very little added cost.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
A “Pro" machine is a machine which allows professional work. The new MP allows professional work.

No one said, that the external components must be on your desk.

Professional users also want to burn media (videos, photos, etc) to DVDs and Blu Rays.
They can do this with external burners. One advantage is, that you can use such external devices on different machines (Linux, Mac, Windows).

Now, on top of a ~$3000+ machine, they have to purchase an additional external drive just to do that.
Even if such a burner costs 300 US$, it is no problem for the professional market.

Apple is not responsible for your cluttered desk. You are responsible for your desk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.