Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
Personally, I enjoyed it! Amazing movie! Great acting!
what did you guys think? I've always been a Superman fan! I might have to go again and re-watch it! It's that good!

on another note, anyone going to watch World War Z? Looks good too.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I really liked it and I usually hate superhero movies. I wen't in not knowing anything about superman.

At first I was a little skeptical because I thought the first part of the movie was kind of "scattered" but it quickly resolved itself.

Also I cringed each time Russell Crowe opened his mouth, his acting was not good in this.

I did LOVE the effects though, they were fantastic.

Also did anyone else notice the space dildos going in to the space @$$hole? Seriously I cannot be the only one who saw that...(I'm talking about the bad guys being sent to the ... phantom zone?)

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
I really liked it and I usually hate superhero movies. I wen't in not knowing anything about superman.

At first I was a little skeptical because I thought the first part of the movie was kind of "scattered" but it quickly resolved itself.

Also I cringed each time Russell Crowe opened his mouth, his acting was not good in this.

I did LOVE the effects though, they were fantastic.

Also did anyone else notice the space dildos going in to the space @$$hole? Seriously I cannot be the only one who saw that...(I'm talking about the bad guys being sent to the ... phantom zone?)

Lmfao, i remember the part but "dildos" never came to mind. You my sir, have a dirty mind lmaooo

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Save your time, no Post-Credit scene... get up and leave. Only thing worth noticing that ties Superman and Batman is the space fight. The satellite being destroyed has a Wayne Enterprises logo on it. That's about it.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Laid it on thick with the Jesus/Americana is some truly cringeworthy scenes. Overall though a great movie.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
4 things. How did Cyber-Russell know everything that he did, considering the program was written before the bad guys showed up and stabbed him.

I am thoroughly disappointed that when Detective Stabler flew the C-17 into the spaceship that there wasn't a gavel tribute to his death.

Why didn't Superman lead with the neck snap. It seemed as if he was OK with about 15,000 people dying but those final 5 with the eye lasers were the real last straw.

And finally, how the hell did Amy Adams get to Grand Central Station so fast? Did she drive one of those cars that fell from the sky?

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Well...

The movie wanted to have a heart but it was meant for action.

Lois Lane was always in the wrong spot for no reason, she just needed to be in danger (Lois Lane complex?).

At the city collapsing, no one ran, everybody didn't want to lose the show.

Again, Loise Lane was there.

Yes, space dildos.

I mean, there was not actual script.

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
I didn't enjoy this movie one bit - - it's another one of these sour modern superhero movies without an ounce of joy in it's heart. That might even be forgivable if I cared about the Superman character in this film, but they clearly picked an 'actor' for his looks rather than his talent this time out.

Also, despite having loads of talented supporting actors, the screenplay left them empty handed. Seriously, Kevin Costner, Diane Lane, Russell Crowe, and Amy Adams - - it could have been an awesome movie if the screenplay had only given them half a chance.

And finally, that seemingly endless action sequence that constituted the last half of the movie - - not only did Superman not act very Superman-esque, helping to kill thousands in collateral damage - - it was flat out repetitive and boring.

Boom, bang, yawn.

Grade: D-

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2009
I enjoyed it but.....

HOLY EFFING COW. DID ANYONE NOTICE HOW HIGH THE CASUALTY RATE WAS? There had to have been like ten thousand people dead.

SAIRUS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
I really think the high casualty rate happened for a reason... ...for Lex Luthor to rebuild Metropolis and in turn try to turn the people of Metropolis against the Man of Steel.

Similar to how The Dark Knight Trilogy posed, was the escalation worth having a superhero around?

Antares

macrumors 68000
Save your time, no Post-Credit scene... get up and leave. Only thing worth noticing that ties Superman and Batman is the space fight. The satellite being destroyed has a Wayne Enterprises logo on it. That's about it.

Bad advice. A movie is not over until the credits are over. You should always stay until the end of the credits no matter if there is an extra "scene" or not.

Anyway, I thought this was easily the best Superman movie ever made. I really really really hope there are no more reboot origin stories of Superman. Not for decades, at least. Between the movies, the tv series, the cartoons and the comics, this had to be the 50th origin story of Superman. I want continuity for once. Something different.

jasonvp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2007
Northern VA
I really think the high casualty rate happened for a reason... ...for Lex Luthor to rebuild Metropolis and in turn try to turn the people of Metropolis against the Man of Steel.

That's an excellent guess. Another one is: this is a young Superman who is still sorta coming to terms with his abilities and responsibilities. The first real challenge to his abilities from an enemy was: (a much older and more experienced) Zod. That's just not going to end well, one way or the other.

Phenomenal movie. Those that complain about the fighting scenes and potential death tolls need to spend more time watching some of the most-excellent Animated Series takes on Superman. Various blocks of Metropolis can and do get obliterated when Supes has to take on someone of almost-equal ability. It's rarely pretty. And also, Superman's main modus operandi is: when in doubt, just break it.

I think we have the potential for some really evil Superman baddies after this first film.

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2009
That's an excellent guess. Another one is: this is a young Superman who is still sorta coming to terms with his abilities and responsibilities. The first real challenge to his abilities from an enemy was: (a much older and more experienced) Zod. That's just not going to end well, one way or the other.

Phenomenal movie. Those that complain about the fighting scenes and potential death tolls need to spend more time watching some of the most-excellent Animated Series takes on Superman. Various blocks of Metropolis can and do get obliterated when Supes has to take on someone of almost-equal ability. It's rarely pretty. And also, Superman's main modus operandi is: when in doubt, just break it.

I think we have the potential for some really evil Superman baddies after this first film.

I lol'd after seeing this picture

enhanced-buzz-21459-1371498261-20.jpg

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Overall, I found the movie to be good, but not nearly as great as I was hoping after having seen Trailer 3. And I found the battle scenes to be rather long. My wife actually dozed off during the Metropolis one; she was so bored with it.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
The sheet amount of destruction is unparalleled in any other super hero movie. Basically a major city was completely leveled during prime work hours.

Also, this Superman was Alpha as hell. I was mirin', I admit it.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Took itself waaay too serious.

So Lois already knows who Clark Kent is? I mean that was the whole point, making him and their pairing somehow interesting and granted some comic relief. Kent always awkwardly disappearing when it gets kinda hot - not so much anymore I guess..well, but I couldn't care less, not going to watch the sequel.

Also hilarious how Kent's father (Costner) sacrificed himself in front of his son and wife to rescue the dog (!) only to prove his point. C'mon! So much better and more intelligent in the orginal Reeves one, where he died by a heart attack / natural cause.

Worst part was that Crowe's character died within the first minutes (yay!) only to come back every other scene.

Oh, and they really had to save the world by flying with a plane into a sky high construction right over Manhattan?

Last edited:

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
As a superhero flick, it was entertaining and fine. But the story wasn't good at all as a "intelligent and serious" movie.

Superman appearing behind Lois at the tombstone was a "Huh??" moment, then a few scenes later, you have him taking a bus to see his mother... :confused::confused:

The world machine was on the other side of the planet, you see the sun rising giving superman power, next he flew back to the other ship and it's broad daylight!!

His human dad death was really really stupid...

These are some of the issues I had with the story. The action was cool, but the story doesn't really hold up in my opinion.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Completely agree, Angelneo. Don't want to be the internet naysayer, but nowadays lots of these franchises are made the grimey way (Bond, Batman, now even Superman) and pretend to be magically more realistic and serious while we still follow a guy who wears his undies on top...and a capital S on his chest ("Which means hope in my mother tongue.") :D

Intellectually, this was a great mess and disappointing. It comes down to the point that I found General Zod even more clever than Superman: Zod: "I am protecting Krypton like you protect the Earth!" Superman: "Krypton had it's chance already." Ah, ok! Good reasoning there before wasting half the city, dude!

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
Completely agree, Angelneo. Don't want to be the internet naysayer, but nowadays lots of these franchises are made the grimey way (Bond, Batman, now even Superman) and pretend to be magically more realistic and serious while we still follow a guy who wears his undies on top...and a capital S on his chest ("Which means hope in my mother tongue.") :D

Intellectually, this was a great mess and disappointing. It comes down to the point that I found General Zod even more clever than Superman: Zod: "I am protecting Krypton like you protect the Earth!" Superman: "Krypton had it's chance already." Ah, ok! Good reasoning there before wasting half the city, dude!

Are you looking forward to the sequel?

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Are you looking forward to the sequel?

No :D

But I eventually will. Watching almost every superhero flic in the end. (Just to complain afterwards on the internet..) :)

Did you follow the comic series recently? Where does the idea of Lois already knowing the secret identity of Clark come from? Also the whole world knows that she knows. Really strange scenario imho. I'm probably biased by Teri Hatcher, which made the perfect Lois Lane for me. But glad that you liked the movie.

Haven't watched World War Z, The Place beyond the Pines it will be next.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
No :D

But I eventually will. Watching almost every superhero flic in the end. (Just to complain afterwards on the internet..) :)

Did you follow the comic series recently? Where does the idea of Lois already knowing the secret identity of Clark come from? Also the whole world knows that she knows. Really strange scenario imho. I'm probably biased by Teri Hatcher, which made the perfect Lois Lane for me. But glad that you liked the movie.

Haven't watched World War Z, The Place beyond the Pines it will be next.

i wont have time to go see World War Z, if you do go. Let me know if it was good or not.

I'm tempted to download from TPB but I want to enjoy it on Blu-ray when it comes out :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.