Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
rMBP screen resolutions won't change for a while I bet.

Plus, they put a HD4400 in that. I wonder what performance will be like.

DavidC1

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2006
2D performance is no problem, the performance in 2D is all dependent on drivers and the specs are same between various GPUs. If the Notebook/Ultrabook supports proper scaling to lower resolutions, you would be fine in 3D as well(of course the problem is that it usually can't scale well).

tdream

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2009
Oh and the ATIV Q has a stylus too, ie. real pen input! How amazing is that!!?! :):):):):)

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011

tdream

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2009
Discussion of MBA rivals, ie. what the competition is up to. Yeah Samsung are first to 3200x1800, is that news not enough?

With the Samsung ATIV Q you get Haswell, 3200x1800 capacitive touch screen, tablet form factor, Windows 8 Metro and full Desktop and full Android and you get pen input. That's pretty amazing in and of itself.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Discussion of MBA rivals, ie. what the competition is up to. Yeah Samsung are first to 3200x1800, is that news not enough?

With the Samsung ATIV Q you get Haswell, 3200x1800 capacitive touch screen, tablet form factor, Windows 8 Metro and full Desktop and full Android and you get pen input. That's pretty amazing in and of itself.

"If you’re busy making everything, how can you perfect anything?"

- Designed by Apple in California

tdream

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2009
"If you’re busy making everything, how can you perfect anything?"

Uh oh... people are getting defensive....

How dare you shine a light on a more powerful and productive product? Don't you know this is the Apple forums?!!

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Uh oh... people are getting defensive....

How dare you shine a light on a more powerful and productive product? Don't you know this is the Apple forums?!!
first off what are u comparing the Samsung too? It seems nice but at the same time in a class all buy its self. You posted in a Mac air forum two totally different computers.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

Yawn.

It doesn't run MacOS X. They have to sell it a lot cheaper, especially if it comes with Windows 8. Nobody wants Windows 8. It won't come with Windows 8 Metro, because Microsoft knows they'll lose in court in Germany with that name.

And as Samsung points out, it doesn't have Thunderbolt.

And, as I'll point out, laptops don't sell unless they are either cheap, or running MacOS X. Otherwise there is the inevitable question "if you paid that much, why didn't you get a Mac?" and the buyer looks really stupid.

Samsung's new motto.

fortysomegeek

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2012

The dual OS approach, according to Anandtech, Android runs in a VM. There could be issues with high performance gaming in Android mode.

As for resolution:

I don't have a problem with Samsung releasing this hi-res of a laptop. It pushes the industry forward. At least Apple users have had HiDPi for over a year and a lot of the software kinks have been sorted out. All my major apps are pretty much retina aware except Adobe Acrobat.

The issue I have with Windows laptops running this high of a res is scaling. On my 15" Retina, running it full native 2880x1800 is a chore and it strains the eyes if you run it more than 20 minutes.
Running native 1 pixel per pixel display isn't healthy.

Right now, only metro apps can display properly on that screen. They are suppose to fix it in Windows 8.1 but I won't hold my breadth. The solution is bump up the DPI to 200% in windows and it is still sloppy. Case in point. Photoshop. All the toolbars, palette and swatches are the same size regardless of what DPI you run. I've seen demos where people had to use styluses to click on color swatches because they were too small. Java apps and cross platform apps that do not use Windows API will also suffer. None of them adhere to operating system scaling. In short, HiDPI is a mess in Windows right now. So what I am saying is the end-user experience won't be fun unless you stick to metro land.

Let see how Samsung handles interpolation and display resolution scaling.

Right now, I think the Air and Retina separation is good. If you want HiDPI ultraportable, get the 13" retina.

----------

Yawn.

It doesn't run MacOS X. They have to sell it a lot cheaper, especially if it comes with Windows 8. Nobody wants Windows 8. It won't come with Windows 8 Metro, because Microsoft knows they'll lose in court in Germany with that name.

The high dpi model is starting at $1799 according to various sources so not cheap.

Brandon263

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2009
Beaumont, CA
The issue I have with Windows laptops running this high of a res is scaling. On my 15" Retina, running it full native 2880x1800 is a chore and it strains the eyes if you run it more than 20 minutes.
Running native 1 pixel per pixel display isn't healthy.

Right now, only metro apps can display properly on that screen. They are suppose to fix it in Windows 8.1 but I won't hold my breadth. The solution is bump up the DPI to 200% in windows and it is still sloppy. Case in point. Photoshop. All the toolbars, palette and swatches are the same size regardless of what DPI you run. I've seen demos where people had to use styluses to click on color swatches because they were too small. Java apps and cross platform apps that do not use Windows API will also suffer. None of them adhere to operating system scaling. In short, HiDPI is a mess in Windows right now. So what I am saying is the end-user experience won't be fun unless you stick to metro land.

Let see how Samsung handles interpolation and display resolution scaling.

Exactly. Looks like Samsung just introduced this to one-up Apple without looking at usability.

My rMBP looks awful when using Windows because of Windows' lack of HiDPI. Also, the "increase font scaling" option messes up the aesthetic of everything. I generally don't use the rMBP for Windows unless its connected to my TBD.

tdream

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2009
I believe they're bringing in HiDPi with Windows 8.1 which should alleviate the 1:1 pixel ratio which obviously would cause a problem for the majority of people.

For me the appeal is the high res screen, the dpi will be sorted out eventually when everything will be retina and the pen. Very few tablets of that size and thinness include a digitizer for real pen input. This just seems to tick all the checkboxes, except price. That's an unknown factor for now. I do see Samsung positioning it against the rMBP which means close to 2k or beyond.

Can't really blame Samsung for the hardware, Microsoft's support is lagging for these devices.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003

Except it isn't a very good laptop because you can only put the screen at one angle. And it isn't a very good tablet because it will only work well in landscape and is slightly too large. I am really coming around to the same conclusion as many other people: these hybrid devices try to be all things to all people and end up being both a compromise as a tablet and a compromise as a laptop.

Now that's fine if that's what consumers are desperately craving. But I for one am not and I am not convinced other people are either. That's not to say it isn't interesting and there is a lot more innovation occurring, but if these hybrid devices are the future I am not sure we have seen any great execution yet.

I think it makes sense to let each form factor be true to itself. For example we know that for a tablet an 8-10 inch screen in the 4:3 aspect ratio works well for both portrait and landscape use. We also know that laptop screens work best between 13-15 inches in the 16:9 or 16:10 aspect ratio. That is the first problem.

Laptops work well because they have a palm rest for typing and a display which can adjust to multiple angles. Yet most of these hybrid devices loose both of these design elements. That's the next problem.

Then there are a myriad of other problems to solve. And I don't think Samsung have done it with this device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.