Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lewismayell

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2013
South West England
I keep going to bed late because I use my phone too much, I know it should be down to will power, but Im useless, does anyone know of any apps that will lock out my phone so I can't use it between a certain time?

Thanks

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I keep going to bed late because I use my phone too much, I know it should be down to will power, but Im useless, does anyone know of any apps that will lock out my phone so I can't use it between a certain time?

Thanks

Try this...however, it only works once...

Attachments

• BIG Hammer.png
    BIG Hammer.png
    669.3 KB · Views: 358

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Ha, ha,.....how about turning it off. :confused:

You can't seriously want your phone to be disabled in the middle of the night.....

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
This can not be a serious post.
It could very well be a serious post. It wouldn't be unheard of, that's for certain.

As far as I know there is no way of doing this, but you might be able to accomplish something similar. Set a bunch of alarms or reminders around the time that you want to go to bed - for example, if your bed time is 10:00 PM then have two alarms at 10:00, two at 10:01, two at 10:02, and so on. That should interrupt your activities and annoy you enough to break what ever trance you're in. Make sure your phone is not in the same room that you're sleeping in.

I would strongly advise you to begin working on your habits around this time, as well. While the reminders may work well enough initially, your compulsion can still get the better of you such that you either power through them or bring yourself to turn them all off. Additionally, because you've set a habit of playing around with your phone until late, it's also possible that you'll still find yourself playing around on something else even if it isn't your phone. In other words, the phone is the conduit right now, but the phone itself likely isn't the bigger problem.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
You obviously have a serious addiction problem. You need to seek professional help. We can not help you.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
DND has been a godsend for me. My issue was not with putting it down, it was with the constant picking up once I got a notification. I never had Facebook or twitter notify me, but texts and email distracted me.

That being said, you have to just put it down or move it away com your bed. If it is an alarm clock as well, you'll still wake up if its across the room and then you have to just get out of bed. There aren't restrictions like that on the iPhone because I presume most people can make better decisions without being forced. I'm a dreamer though.

Jimbo47

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
One word: Melatonin. I've been taking it because I can't sleep at night. It's a natural remedy because its already in your body. I take it and sleep great with no werid side effects like with actual sleep medicine (zzz quill or what have you). You can buy it at any pharmacy or drug store. It's very cheap and you get like 200 tablets.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Am thinking of that episode of Cheers, where Clifford was made to wear a buzzer, controlled by his friends and whenever he said something sarcastic (an addiction he was trying to confront) his friends would ZAP him. :D

KenAFSPC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
The op raises a good point. Many parents would like the ability to stop their kids from texting, playing mobile games, etc. after a certain time. The Xbox already has such a feature so it would make sense for Apple to add it as well.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Most routers have the ability to restrict internet access by time.

That'd be a good reminder to you, at least, to look at the clock when your wifi stops working. Now, you'd have to be a big boy and tell yourself you won't switch off wifi and use cellular data when it happens. But you'll have that problem with ANY solution as you'd always have the ability to "turn off the solution," whatever it is, so anything we suggest is just going to be a reminder, nothing more.

But yeah, I'd suggest putting a timer on your router's wifi connection.

3rd Rock

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Over here

Thanks

Lets see now. You have a serious addiction, want an app that turns the phone off so you can get some sleep...Right. If you have such a serious addiction to a cell phone, the app will not work even if there was one. You would just avoid the app or turn it off to continue using the phone, and not sleeping....Again.

Just like an eating disorder. Lock the refrigerator, than using the key you locked it with to open it up soon after to continue eating. Doesn't work.

Get rid of the smartphone and purchase a flip phone instead. Simple

lewismayell

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2013
South West England
It's not so much an addiction, it's just getting distracted, like I look at the time, think I have some time to check Facebook and end up scrolling down my news feed for an hour or something

----------

Enter your passcode in wrong repeatedly?

Hahaha

----------

I don't think it's that much of a stupid question, I mean things like this are real for Mac why would it not be a good idea to have it on a phone?

www.dejal.com/timeout/

selfcontrolapp.com

jer04

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2012
Townsville, Australia
One word: Melatonin. I've been taking it because I can't sleep at night. It's a natural remedy because its already in your body. I take it and sleep great with no werid side effects like with actual sleep medicine (zzz quill or what have you). You can buy it at any pharmacy or drug store. It's very cheap and you get like 200 tablets.

or L-tryptophan, it's just amino acid. :)

jer04

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2012
Townsville, Australia
It's not so much an addiction, it's just getting distracted, like I look at the time, think I have some time to check Facebook and end up scrolling down my news feed for an hour or something

----------

Hahaha

----------

I don't think it's that much of a stupid question, I mean things like this are real for Mac why would it not be a good idea to have it on a phone?

http://www.dejal.com/timeout/

selfcontrolapp.com

if u have jailbroken your phone, you might want to try to set your phone to a warmer colour at night by using something like f.lux, that might help.

blueish light would inhibit the melatonin secretion from pineal gland, which wouldn't be helpful to make you sleepy at all.

----------

A huge thanksgiving dinner every night!

haha, couple with high carbonhydrate food to maximize the effect. :D

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Because it is natural, it is easy to fight the fatigue without any issues. His issue is not letting his mind rest. Melatonin won't knock you out mid-sentence.
The op raises a good point. Many parents would like the ability to stop their kids from texting, playing mobile games, etc. after a certain time. The Xbox already has such a feature so it would make sense for Apple to add it as well.

Those are kids and to stop them, you take away their phones at night. Simple. This guy seems like he could be a bit older. Maybe I am wrong.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008

Both the OP and this post are ridiculous, if you can't control your kids you shouldn't have one and if you can't exercise enough self control to go to sleep then you should seek out professional help.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
I'm only 16 so, I don't have kids

I repeat my Post #11.

OP, this is a good opportunity for you to exercise some adult-style self-discipline that will serve you well in your future. You will have much bigger beasts to tame as you grow into adulthood so you might as well develop some muscles using this issue now.

There is nothing so important on Facebook at nite that won't still be there in the morning when you wake up. It's social media, not life or death. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.