Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GKDAIR

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 4, 2011
Long story short. I suffer from Depression and Anxiety. My mood changes every day.

For what seems like forever, I've noticed this pattern about my sleeping schedule.

Drastically changes - Sometimes I go to bed at 10 and wake up at 6, other days I go to bed at 10 and wake up at 1 pm. Some days I go to bed at 3 am and wake up at 8 am, some days I go to bed at 4 am and wake up at 2 pm. You get it.

Feel like I got run over by a truck - Every night, I feel like I went 3 rounds with mike tyson. I wake up completely sore and just overall groggy. It's horrible.

Nightmares - Every night for the past 6 nights I've had nightmares. Every.Night. I can't remember beyond that, but I without a doubt know that the past 6 nights have been nightmares

As of the time of writing this I've been awake around 16 hours, and I was laying in bed for 3 before writing this, unable to sleep.

If this is Insomnia, is there anything I can do to help me sleep?

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Long story short. I suffer from Depression and Anxiety. My mood changes every day.

For what seems like forever, I've noticed this pattern about my sleeping schedule.

Drastically changes - Sometimes I go to bed at 10 and wake up at 6, other days I go to bed at 10 and wake up at 1 pm. Some days I go to bed at 3 am and wake up at 8 am, some days I go to bed at 4 am and wake up at 2 pm. You get it.

Feel like I got run over by a truck - Every night, I feel like I went 3 rounds with mike tyson. I wake up completely sore and just overall groggy. It's horrible.

Nightmares - Every night for the past 6 nights I've had nightmares. Every.Night. I can't remember beyond that, but I without a doubt know that the past 6 nights have been nightmares

As of the time of writing this I've been awake around 16 hours, and I was laying in bed for 3 before writing this, unable to sleep.

It is insomnia, but not primary insomnia, but rather a symptom related to your depression.

If you are not already doing it, get yourself to a psychologist and/or a psychiatrist. You need medications for the depression and the insomnia, and individual therapy for the depression. I would suggest seeking a psychologist with a Cognitive Behavioral orientation. The research is very clear that with a significant depression, meds plus Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is the treatment of choice.

I'm not given to offering advice on this Forum...but your situation does require attention.

I would be very skeptical of any advice offered here by any non-professionals. While undoubtedly well intentioned, from your description of your situation this is not a time for advice from good hearted, but not well enough informed, folks.

GKDAIR

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 4, 2011
I figured it was Insomnia.

I'm currently not seeing anybody for treatment, but I honestly believe all of my depression and anxiety has to do with my current living situation, and I am moving in a couple of weeks, so it should fix it all.

I've basically turned into a clean slate, I deleted all of my social media accounts and really haven't spoken to much of anybody. I don't have any friends where I live as of now, which sucks, but again I plan to start a new life when I love so I'll make new friends.

I'm not looking for professional advice on a random internet forum, lol, but I was just looking to see if someone else could give their opinion.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Do not take medication!

Medication just covers the primary reason but does not resolve the problems. Drogaddicts are people who uses drugs to scape their reality, the same thing.

I suffer from the same as you, even last night I didn't sleep well but I am fine.

Find a therapist and for sure a group therapy.

Then, when you feel things are falling on you for no reason step back and tell yourself: stop the drama!

Depression and anxiety is not you, is like having a clapping monkey in your head, that is it! Is a malfunction of your mind keeping you distracted from the present moment. The reason of therapy is to find out what happened in your past that stuck there and why you are bringing those "things" back to your present. You need to understand until thing "click" in you and the anxiety will start losing strength.

I am 38 and I do not use medication to sleep. I do go to youtube at sleep time and run some chakra balancing guided video. I do not drink sodas, do not watch movies before bedtime.

You can not chose how your day starts, but you can chose how it will end.

Get an audio book called "A new earth" by Eckhart Tolle. Or "the power of now".

You have to detach yourself from the images and ideas your mind has. Do you remember The Matrix? It is 100% as the scene when Morpheus was showing Neo how to fight "do you think that is air what you are breathing?". The same thing are your negative thoughts, they are fake and you choose TO PAY ATTENTION TO THEM. They will be there but they are not you.

Do you remember the Budda with the big belly laughing? that is what happen when you realize your mind is just a fake game, you will laugh.

Then, you need to start to be into things that gives you positive energy or reinforce yourself. You will need to change friends even, find something you used to do that you liked.

Remember, there is just one single thing in this life that needs your attention like a baby, and that is your own path. Take care of it.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Medication just covers the primary reason but does not resolve the problems. Drogaddicts are people who uses drugs to scape their reality, the same thing.

I suffer from the same as you, even last night I didn't sleep well but I am fine.

Then, when you feel things are falling on you for no reason step back and tell yourself: stop the drama!

Depression and anxiety is not you, is like having a clapping monkey in your head, that is it! Is a malfunction of your mind keeping you distracted from the present moment. The reason of therapy is to find out what happened in your past that stuck there and why you are bringing those "things" back to your present. You need to understand until thing "click" in you and the anxiety will start losing strength.

I am 38 and I do not use medication to sleep. I do go to youtube at sleep time and run some chakra balancing guided video. I do not drink sodas, do not watch movies before bedtime.

You have to detach yourself from the images and ideas your mind has. Do you remember The Matrix? It is 100% as the scene when Morpheus was showing Neo how to fight "do you think that is air what you are breathing?". The same thing are your negative thoughts, they are fake and you choose TO PAY ATTENTION TO THEM. They will be there but they are not you.

Do you remember the Budda with the big belly laughing? that is what happen when you realize your mind is just a fake game, you will laugh.

Then, you need to start to be into things that gives you positive energy or reinforce yourself. You will need to change friends even, find something you used to do that you liked.

Remember, there is just one single thing in this life that needs your attention like a baby, and that is your own path. Take care of it.

This post is uninformed, and potentially dangerous.

I'm appalled at the ignorance expressed in the post.

I would ask for scientific references...but that would be giving some credence to the horse pucky expressed above.

As I suggested in my post...the uniformed, unscientific, and more that useless posts (such as the above) may be well intentioned (putting the best spin on it I can)...but less than useless!

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
With my insomnia I do the this, and this is what works for me, it may or not for you. Let me tell you, I got fired 2 months ago, I am eating my savings, I am 38. I have a drug dealer looking for me and I have a case in court because I suit the landlord I had because he does not want to return the security deposit and the guy is a psycho. Those are real reasons to be stressed out.

Well...

I am catholic, but I learned the spiritual side of my religion well.

At night, I give thanks to Good, for my bed, my health and being able to have a place to sleep.

I ask him for forgiveness for the things I have done wrong and for LOSING FAITH IN ME.

I put all my problems in his hands because... this is just a traveling experience and it make no reason for me to go to bed with them. Take care of the problems I tell him.

Do what you want with me ( I am surrendering) and fill me and clear me with light and protect me.

Then you have Archangel Michael, he was the one who defeated devil. He is your friend. Saly hello to him, and tell him to protect you and cut every tie any evil thing has on you with his sword.

Again ask Good and Jesus to protect you and take care of you. You will fall to sleep in less than a minute.

Now, because you have a patter it may not work right away but it will work. I am not taking pills.

I do take vitamins, complex B, it helps the frontal side of the brain where the social conduct exist and it will keep you focus.

Drink green tea, no sodas or coffee. Sometimes you feel down and take things to keep you awake. Well, those things will give you more stress and collaborate with the depression.

Now, is not an issue that will resolve over night, it takes time but you will get over it.

In my case, as soon I resolve my problems I will be fine. I just need a job to move and finish the case with the landlord.

I took pills ages ago but they didn't resolve anything. I actually felt worse. The same with pot, a waste of time.

And today... I am going to the beach because there is a girl who asked for me, a pretty one. She sure is a good source of good vibe.

Take care.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
This post is uninformed, and potentially dangerous.

I'm appalled at the ignorance expressed in the post.

I would ask for scientific references...but that would be giving some credence to the horse pucky expressed above.

As I suggested in my post...the uniformed, unscientific, and more that useless posts (such as the above) may be well intentioned (putting the best spin on it I can)...but less than useless!

Look, you are talking from your EGO. I am talking from my personal experience. You can say what ever you want and suggest, but attacking my experience is totally wrong, childish and immature. Taking pills and use drugs is a coward way to resolve issues like this. He has to see what is going on and resolve the issues, not taking medication, losers do that. I have been in that path and medications is just for profit, is a business and doe snot help at all because you are not resolving anything.

I have friends who started with medications, it didn't work. Then started with pot, cocaine. they are losers without a direction in life. My ex girlfriend had unresolved issues, traumas, she went partying, cocaine, now heroine and now she is a prostitute. She just didn't listen and her pimp is the one chasing me.

Group therapy.

And read well, I am not attaking you, I am going over the information. That is why I have material to write of and with real examples and not an EGO.

Be careful with what you are saying or I call a moderator on you. as I wrote before 'what works for me". I am not encapsulating him. Again, the United States is the contry where you get medicated for anything, and is the sickest country in the world with no reason to be. Medication does not work.

What medication? Go and buy Melatonin, is prescription free. It will help you sleep. And is natural, is what pilots use.

MegamanX

macrumors regular
May 13, 2013
I figured it was Insomnia.

I'm currently not seeing anybody for treatment, but I honestly believe all of my depression and anxiety has to do with my current living situation, and I am moving in a couple of weeks, so it should fix it all.

I've basically turned into a clean slate, I deleted all of my social media accounts and really haven't spoken to much of anybody. I don't have any friends where I live as of now, which sucks, but again I plan to start a new life when I love so I'll make new friends.

I'm not looking for professional advice on a random internet forum, lol, but I was just looking to see if someone else could give their opinion.
I will start off by saying I suffer from depression and anxiety. I fall under the category of chronic. First diagnosis 7 years ago as borderline and then when I fell back into it is when it was upgraded to chronic.

With that being said I will say moving for a "clean slate" is nothing more than a a short term. It does not treat or solve the under lining cause. Also if and when things do not work out things will be worse.

I will strongly recommend to go get professional support. I am in favor the help and not to rule out medication. Medication mixed with therapy is the best.
Medication generally stabilize you enough to get things under control and things get easier.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA

OP, please ignore the useless and uniformed posts of rei101. These are less than useless. I have no problem with his opinion of me...it is less than irrelevant. My concern is that you get the help that you apparently need...based on your post.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Be careful with what you are saying or I call a moderator on you.

Moderator note:

Everyone is responsible for their own posts and the content thereof. As long as all parties keep their discourse civil there will be no problems. We do not moderate on content, but upon infractions of the forum rules, such as name-calling and insults.

/Moderator note.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
I will start off by saying I suffer from depression and anxiety. I fall under the category of chronic. First diagnosis 7 years ago as borderline and then when I fell back into it is when it was upgraded to chronic.

With that being said I will say moving for a "clean slate" is nothing more than a a short term. It does not treat or solve the under lining cause. Also if and when things do not work out things will be worse.

I will strongly recommend to go get professional support. I am in favor the help and not to rule out medication. Medication mixed with therapy is the best.
Medication generally stabilize you enough to get things under control and things get easier.

The problem with depression is that it creates behavioral patterns. Depression creates endorphins as well, the brain uses endorphins to stimulates new patters, it does not know if the pattern is good or bad, that is why there is maniac depression. This pattern reinforce complaining, bad friends, laziness and loads of other things. And it may manifest as borderlines, narcissistic personalities, histrionic and some others. It all depends on the original trauma.

In rehab, they give you the same drugs you use to consume in the street but cleaner AND the environment is different because you are now in a positive reinforcement environment. You are creating new patterns, but the old ones still there, just do not touch them, do not trigger them.

When you are out or if you are not that deep into depression. By practicing actual meditation, group therapy and such, you can be aware of everything and changing those patterns yourselves. You just have to learn and do your homework and gather information on what you have. It is an actual sickness.

Remember, depression and anxiety are behaviors that are manifesting because something is bothering you. Something from childhood for sure, a message from someone that got stuck in your mind and now is manifesting. Or something you believed in that is not happening as an adult and you feel frustrated. What that message is/are?

Once you discover that, with a therapist, for sure you will smile and probably laugh, bingo! there was the bug in your system.

Do not be harsh on your self, give you credit, we all have bugs in our systems, EVERYONE.

At least you are doing something. Many people in the world say they are fine, and you see them in drugs, lying, cheating, they beat their girlfriends, wives, children.

Books:

Eckar Tolle, The two he has.
Don Miguel Ruis: The four agreements
Find chakra cleansing in youtube. Listen to it and then practice it, it will grow on you.
Look for God, read psalm 91.

Trust yourself.

Last edited:

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
....snip......

As we are not discussing some trivial matter regarding the color of a phone, or a new OS, but rather a serious life issue of OP, I believe it is important to have the necessary qualifications to offer specific advice.

When the issue is of less importance, personal anecdotes and opinions are fine. However, that is not the case here.

Could you please post your qualifications in this area.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
As we are not discussing some trivial matter regarding the color of a phone, or a new OS, but rather a serious life issue of OP, I believe it is important to have the necessary qualifications to offer specific advice.

When the issue is of less importance, personal anecdotes and opinions are fine. However, that is not the case here.

Could you please post your qualifications in this area.

Bah, I do not have to answer you, I just showed i am light years more experience than you in the area, is all in text. You are just complaining and you lost my respect. If you were polite, educated and had manners I would give you the reply "those behaviors" deserves.

But for you, I just can tell you I am on my way to the beach because there is charming 32 years old girl, slender 5'8 blonde waiting for me, who asked for me the day before yesterday. I am done with brunettes for now, the one just left is 25, just a good friend who needs a "father figure" every once in a while and we have sex in the mean time.

MegamanX

macrumors regular
May 13, 2013
OP, please ignore the useless and uniformed posts of rei101. These are less than useless. I have no problem with his opinion of me...it is less than irrelevant. My concern is that you get the help that you apparently need...based on your post.

I agree ignore rei101. His advice is not only bad but dangerous. Plus I see the classical signs of not understanding it. Also clearly does not understand medication. The drugs for depression and anxiety have not street value. They do not get you high.

I am on Meds right now. People who have known me for years only thing they saw change was I seemed more myself after I went on them and happier so to speak. It got things under control. People who have only known me on Meds seem shock to learn I am on them. They say I seem so well adjusted. It shows to me how bad of an understanding the same general population has of mental disorders.
It is taking a lot out of me not to go off on rie that would get me banned. His information is very dangerous and many of us will strongly disagree with him. My advice is get professional help.

Oh and I would like to say medication is not a happy pill. It gets things under control long enough and prevents the death spirals so to speak.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006

OP, please ignore this guy. He's entitled to his opinion but shrink is right where he says its potentially dangerous advice.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Moderator Note:

This thread is closed before it gets out of hand.

/Moderator note.

Personal note:

GKDAIR, regardless of what you've read in this thread, I recommend you take it all with a grain of salt, make your own decisions and most of all, seek out local professional assistance from a licensed therapist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.