Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
This thread explains why Apple doesn't ask customers what they want. In general, customers have no clue what they want - and are too unimaginative to think beyond incremental improvements. You guys act like the iPad is nearly perfect. Give me a break. It's not even close.

Then that would mean that we are all idiots for buying one in the first place.

I bought my iPad for what it can do today, not what the next iPad can do. I don't need a future iPad to do much more than it can now. What more do I need it to do, fly? Make me pancakes?

beautifulcoder

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2013
The Republic of Texas
Well, I can think of many instances where this doesn't work, Live Tiles, for instance. Apple took a gamble with the iPad and it worked. So obviously, they do have some knowledge on what customers actually want.

If were to ask people a thousand years ago what a "tablet" was they'd say the same thing you would: a reading tool. IMHO, Apple was simply implementing something that is perennial and has lasted for generations.

SeanR1

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Pennsylvania
Then that would mean that we are all idiots for buying one in the first place.

I bought my iPad for what it can do today, not what the next iPad can do. I don't need a future iPad to do much more than it can now. What more do I need it to do, fly? Make me pancakes?

Pancakes would be awesome! Maybe Apple could throw in bacon too! :)

RAPTORSKI

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2013
British Columbia
Two apps running on the same screen. This should be an iPad specific feature.

If they don't do this soon, my next tablet will be running Windows 8.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
More, better iPad only apps. Also features that set it apart from an iPhone immediately besides the rotating springboard and the fact it says iPad lol. It feels like the same experience tbh

Thats how it was intentionally designed and advertised. That is the beauty of it.

iPad is obviously not for you. Go buy an droid tablet for a different experience.

tymaster50

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Thats how it was intentionally designed and advertised. That is the beauty of it.

iPad is obviously not for you. Go buy an droid tablet for a different experience.

Well when you have a tablet that is like 10 inches in diameter you think you could do a little more with the screen space, like 2 apps at the same time, the stocks apps have the right idea, being able to see the list of menus and the subset within the menu at the same time. Like maybe while browsing the web I could send a text to someone.

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
Since I can directly download podcast and purchase media from various sources, I would like to be able to plug my Nano into it, sync podcast, and transfer music.

Please give me MS Office, with Big Boy Excel. I will pay $100 for it, or make it part of the Office 365 subscription, similar to the iPhone.

scottw324

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
Better integration between the stock apps. Like for one, more MS Outlook options. An example would be I get an email from someone about an appt. I want to be able to move that email or create an appt right from the email. Right now I have to copy the email body then open calendar. Then create new appt and then paste the email body into the note section and then fill in the separate sections above like time, location, reminder, etc. in Outlook I can either use the menu bar at the top or right click on the email and select move and tell it to move one copy it to the calendar part of Outlook. Then fill in the blanks.

Can I live without this, sure but it would be nice to have additional options. Not really an iPad thing but more an iOS thing I guess

mortenandersen

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Norway
Wow...

This thread explains why Apple doesn't ask customers what they want. In general, customers have no clue what they want - and are too unimaginative to think beyond incremental improvements. You guys act like the iPad is nearly perfect. Give me a break. It's not even close.

I can't belive that you are serious. In general customers really KNOW what they/we want AND need, and we are able to compare devices and what limitations Apple are bringing to us, year after year. There seems - amongst many others things - to be an odd fixed idea on Apple's part not to have such a useful thing as a filesystem for the iPad. Reminds again of another stubborn and immature limitation or decision from Apple: Not a regular (normal) Delete key on the Air's keyboard, for instance.

And these - among many others things, as I said - have not anything to do with "incremental improvements" or being "too unimaginative" to think beyond these....

Do you really think customers are so limited in knowing their needs? IMO, these and other irrational decisions on Apple's part are symptoms of a seemingly never-ending need to be different or "unique" no matter how user-UNfriendly some of their "solutions" are.

Last edited:

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
I'd like a much better digitizer comparable to a Wacom tablet.

I'd like it to be a little faster and lighter (coming in iPad 5 I think).

I'd also like to run two apps in one window. Picture-in-Picture might be OK. It would be enough to watch a movie or podcast in a small, floating window while typing notes or reading something else in the rest of the screen.

I'd like iWorks on iOS to reach feature parity with iWorks on OS X.

InnovationTech

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2013
if i can pick up and drop the content like chemical dropper, that's would be great. Something like iDropper or t-Stylus.

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
Why hasn't anyone mentioned user accounts? It makes a lot sense to have accounts that store app data, game saves, settings, passwords, etc.

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
My wish list for iPad (Trying to keep it away from becoming an iOS wish list besides #1)

1) Microsoft Office by Microsoft.
2) Longer Battery
3) USB Port
or
4) SD Card Slot
5) Smaller Bezel/Lighter
6) Brightness slider on the side
7) Fingerprint Sensor to unlock.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Absolutely bonkers battery life now on my iPad 3. I cant see benefitting from more.

More batt. just means heavier.

Less bezel means no guard zone area for hands when holding.

You don't realize what you wish for.

No customers would use an SD slot. Maybe microSD... But iOS doesn't have a filesystem that works that way. And photographers would benefit more from a CompactFlash slot.

adahugen.jpg

amahehy2.jpg

Sister Owl

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2013
I want iPad to be able to handle email attachments properly. To attach multiple files to a letter. To tap Reply, write a reply and attach a couple of files to it.

I want a computer-assisted translation tools for it (not stuff like Google translate, I'm talking about working tools for professional translators) – it would be fascinating to be able to perform some work on an iPad, partly because it would justify its price even better, and partly because its sooooo portable, so light, and I lllloooove multitouch interface much more than mouse.

I'm seek of iPad relying on desktop so much. Why during synching does my desktop have priority over my iPad (for example if I deleted a file on iPad and not on PC it will be copied on iPad back again)? My desktop is not my main computer, I use it for work stuff only.

I would love to be able to develop apps for iPad using iPad (because if I'd plan to dive into development, and having a Windows desktop and laptop already, on top of it I'll have to buy a Mac just for this purpose).

Overall I wish Apple would let iPad to be a computer some day, and stop degrade it to "a satellite device" like a camera or something.

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
Because it's a personal device.

Why should it be limited? Having accounts will give choice for those who want. My younger brother sometimes plays games on my iPad, I don't want him to see any of my personal data.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Why should it be limited? Having accounts will give choice for those who want. My younger brother sometimes plays games on my iPad, I don't want him to see any of my personal data.

IMO this is the biggest omission from the iPad. For families that share a device, having different users/profiles would be ideal. I can't believe this still hasn't been implemented.

I also think there should be a common filesystem. Not necessarily one in the true sense of the word tho. You should be able to store things like movies or PDFs in one place and apps should be able to share this content between them. Currently you have to add a movie using one app, "open in" another app (which I believe creates another copy due to the "sandbox" nature of app isolation) etc etc. It's my biggest gripe with iOS tbh.

yth

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2012
I can't belive that you are serious. In general customers really KNOW what they/we want AND need, and we are able to compare devices and what limitations Apple are bringing to us, year after year. There seems - amongst many others things - to be an odd fixed idea on Apple's part not to have such a useful thing as a filesystem for the iPad. Reminds again of another stubborn and immature limitation or decision from Apple: Not a regular (normal) Delete key on the Air's keyboard, for instance.

Wrong. Sure, customers can name a few things they would like. But in general, they're really bad at thinking of big improvements that would make the iPad much better. Just look at this thread. Filesystem? Incremental improvement. Delete key? Incremental improvement.

And these - among many others things, as I said - have not anything to do with "incremental improvements" or being "too unimaginative" to think beyond these....

Do you really think customers are so limited in knowing their needs? IMO, these and other irrational decisions on Apple's part are symptoms of a seemingly never-ending need to be different or "unique" no matter how user-UNfriendly some of their "solutions" are.

All of these are small changes for the iPad. If Apple followed the advice of the people here - focusing on filesystems, delete keys, multitasking, etc - they would fall behind the curve. They have bigger ideas to chase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.