Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Surely if OSX can have it, so can iOS.

This sounds like a simple feature to integrate, and I don't see how it would be something that would compromise performance or battery life.

I know its possible with Cydia, but i'm not interested in jailbreaking.

I dont like waiting until im sick of a wallpaper before I change it manually, and to change it manually every day would be tiresome.

Bring it Apple.

N e e k

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2011

This sounds like a simple feature to integrate, and I don't see how it would be something that would compromise performance or battery life.

I dont like waiting until im sick of a wallpaper before I change it manually, and to change it manually every day would be tiresome.

Bring it Apple.

Dumb idea.

watchthisspace

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
Sounds like you spend too much time on the home/lock screen :p If there was genuinely enough interest, Apple probably would have implemented it. But I don't think there is.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.

Bring it Apple.

Faster to do manually, and doing so doesn't require anymore code or battery power.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA

Bring it Apple.

Good idea. I'd use this. The rude responses people post on here never cease to amaze me.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I wouldn't say "need," but I'd use it if this feature were avaiable. So many beautiful wallpapers, so hard to pick just one! :D

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
and to change it manually every day would be tiresome.

You change your wallpaper daily ? Damn.
I have the default background all the time ( I'm a power user, I don't care about wallpapers, how the phone looks, scratches and so on )

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK

Bring it Apple.

It's just wallpaper, who cares? I haven't ever changed the stock wallpaper. It just doesn't matter.

coffeemadmanUK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2012
United Kingdom
It's just wallpaper, who cares? I haven't ever changed the stock wallpaper. It just doesn't matter.

Yes... to you. Which is fine. It doesn't matter to me either but it obviously does to at least one person.

If you really cannot contribute positively (or negatively if it's constructive) then why waste your time, and the time of everyone who reads this, in replying?

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Yes... to you. Which is fine. It doesn't matter to me either but it obviously does to at least one person.

If you really cannot contribute positively (or negatively if it's constructive) then why waste your time, and the time of everyone who reads this, in replying?

Why does every contribution have to be positive? I'd hate to think that Apple's software engineers are wasting time on such meaningless nonsense.

It's just wallpaper, change it manually.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
Why does every contribution have to be positive? I'd hate to think that Apple's software engineers are wasting time on such meaningless nonsense.

but apple spends lots of engineers time on things that are merely asthetic and nothing to do with performance. how much engineers time has been spent on changing the logos and app backgrounds to be less skeuomorphic or whatever the word is?

personally, i would really like my background pic to change every day. ive no intention of going into settings to do this manually, and tbh this would take away the magic of it. its nice when your desktop on your computer changes to a pic you havent seen in ages, and it would be the same if it did so on the phone.

given its such an easy feature to add, im surprised it isnt already there.

daviddth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2009
Australia
Actually I don't mind the idea on a Daily basis, provided I can select the wallpapers and not have it cycle through the lot. Most people wont use it, that's fine, but how many of the Phone features are used by everybody?

bchery21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2009
Boston, MA
Sounds like a neat idea. While I think daily would be a bit much, maybe something like monthly or even weekly. Personally, I change my wallpaper to match the seasons of the year (so roughly 4-7 times). If I could set that up to change every 3 months, that would be ideal. I live in Boston, Ma so I'd get dramatically different looking wallpaper every time they would change.

CavemanUK

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2006
Rhyl, North Wales
Agree that this would be a good addition. Granted its not 'needed' but plenty of people would use it.

I love the 'who cares?' Response to wallpaper. What a daft question. It's fair to say the majority of computer/phone users deem it important since every device with a screen basically has this feature. The lack of scope of people beyond their own needs is embarrassing.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Wow, the robot responses of "don't give us any choices!" amaze me. How long were people clamoring for folders before we got them? How about even being able to set wallpapers at all? Cripes. Talk about tow the party line.

Anyway, there's several JB apps that do this. Really nice. You drop half dozen images in it's folder and each time you hit the home pages you get a different image.

OR

The home page images changes with the time of day (morning, mid-day, dusk, evening, etc.). Very nice.

..and in before the obligatory "it'll drain your battery!". Not noticeable on my phones (three of which I've use these)

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
Interesting proposal. I never use that feature on my mac but I hear the iphone's battery life is already not that great, so how much of a hog would this be?

CavemanUK

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2006
Rhyl, North Wales
Interesting proposal. I never use that feature on my mac but I hear the iphone's battery life is already not that great, so how much of a hog would this be?

If its changing the background once a day it's fair to say its no hog at all surely? If you have it changing every few minutes that would be a bigger problem. Anyway. Can't imagine it would be any worse than having parallax wallpaper in iOS 7.

Jeffrey Jeff

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2013

i dont use siri, therefore apple should completely remove it
i dont use newstand, therefore apple should completely remove it
i dont use itunes to download music, therefore apple should completely remove it

do you see how stupid your logic is? just because you don't use it, doesn't mean it wouldn't be a neat feature for other people.

coffeemadmanUK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2012
United Kingdom

I said or constructively negative.

Simply saying "Well *I* don't want it so it's stupid" is a stupid thing to say in and of itself.

Try being polite, it won't kill you.

"It's probably not a popularly desired feature" or "It would take up too much CPU" or whatever reason you think would mean Apple wouldn't introduce it. It's not an idiotic suggestion since they do it in OS X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.