Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
I think people have a real failure of imagine about larger tablets. "how will i hold it?" How do you hold you laptop? A larger tablet would rest on you lap or inclined on a table. It would have to have a pen digitizer and would be aimed mostly at designers and students, but might easily find a market as a pc replacement. If they could keep it under 1.5 lbs at 13" I think it would be a hit. A more robust ios7 would have suggested apple was moving in this direction. But now i doubt it

----------

Agreed, a MBA seems much more appealing.

good luck drawing on you mba

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

qwerty994

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
California
I would want a tablet running OS X that is 12-14 inches and has a stand where you can stand it up and attach a wireless keyboard and mouse, so it"s a computer and tablet in one. (Kind of like the stuff Windows 8 is coming out with)

KenAFSPC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
I think people have a real failure of imagine about larger tablets. "how will i hold it?" How do you hold you laptop? A larger tablet would rest on you lap or inclined on a table. It would have to have a pen digitizer and would be aimed mostly at designers and students, but might easily find a market as a pc replacement. If they could keep it under 1.5 lbs at 13" I think it would be a hit. A more robust ios7 would have suggested apple was moving in this direction. But now i doubt it

As already discussed on the last page, a 12" iPad with a smaller bezel would be about the same size as the current iPad with its large bezel. The current iPad form factor has already proven to be a hit, so there is no reason, besides cost, not to release the same (or a slightly larger) form factor with a significantly larger screen at a cost premium.

Last edited:

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I don't see it. The Mini smoked larger ipads in sales. That proves the trend is leaning to smaller so why would Apple make an even larger Ipad?

KenAFSPC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
I don't see it. The Mini smoked larger ipads in sales. That proves the trend is leaning to smaller so why would Apple make an even larger Ipad?
Huh? The 9.7" iPad had been out for years before the iPad Mini, so most people that wanted the larger iPad already had one when the iPad Mini was released. So of course the Mini outsold the larger iPad.

The size and weight differential between the iPad and iPad Mini will be much smaller after Apple releases the next version of the iPad with a much smaller bezel.

Last edited:

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Huh? The 9.7" iPad had been out for years before the iPad Mini, so most people that wanted the larger iPad already had one when the iPad Mini was released. So of course the Mini outsold the larger iPad.

The size and weight differential between the iPad and iPad Mini will be much smaller after Apple releases the next version or the iPad with a much smaller bezel.

Yep, the next two released proves the trend is going towards lighter and smaller.

Also, take into account the Mini may have been the first ipad folks bought and also the fact those having the large one went to the Mini instead.

esskay

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008

The size and weight differential between the iPad and iPad Mini will be much smaller after Apple releases the next version of the iPad with a much smaller bezel.

There's also the big issue of price point...

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
apple has become boring and needs cutting edge inspirational products to generate some brand enthusiasm. A larger itablet with a serious wacom style digitizer would genrate buzz in the design community even if it ran ios.
Tne macpro will not sell many units--but it was clearly designed to make an impact.

Irish Rose

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2010
I would never purchase an iPad with a screen size greater than 9.7". That said, I don't think Apple is coming out with a larger screen iPad anyway.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2.

Alphaforcex

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
Ipad maxi could be the same size as the current ipad with smaller bezel.

I foresee apple come out with dual screen iPads where the second screen is really thin that can be used as a dedicated keyboard

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.