Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

actisys

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2013
I would like to know whether Maverick will let you have longer battery usage on any other MBP or rMBP ? Anyone has this experience please share your thought.

I've used my MBP 15" late 2011 on Maverick for couple of days.. Below is my screenshot on battery mode showing 8hrs for 96% .. I'm not sure how accurate is this but I only running few tab on Safari and Messages ..I don't think it can last 8hrs...maybe only on surfing text? I think slightly 10% battery life increased after upgrade to Maverick

ScreenShot2013-06-16at41332PM_zpsc0f54496.png

Thanks.

Last edited:

Baklava

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2010
Germany
I currently have an issue when my MBP is in sleep mode. I close the lid before sleeping. When I open it next day, the battery has almost no power anymore.

Hyuga

macrumors regular
May 16, 2006
Helsinki or Barcelona
My second dev rMBP had that problem too, then I removed a lot of unnecessary programs from OS X and repaired permissions with disk utility, after reboot sleep worked as before.

Also remember to disable Power Nap.

I currently have an issue when my MBP is in sleep mode. I close the lid before sleeping. When I open it next day, the battery has almost no power anymore.

Hyuga

macrumors regular
May 16, 2006
Helsinki or Barcelona
I had it enabled in my battery profile and noticed slight increase of battery usage when in sleep mode.

Of course it could be my head as I have not heard others have same problem, yet.

But, if there is some problem in it, I expect it to be fixed in following months, thus I will try to enable it back after 3-4 updates.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Below is my screenshot on battery mode showing 8hrs for 96% ..
Why do so many people rely on what the battery stats say? It's just a guess. It changes constantly depending on what you are doing. I suppose if you just sit and stare at that "8 hour" banner while doing nothing else, you just might get close.

The only way to determine how much time you get out of charge is to time it yourself. No two people will get the exact same usage time.

Last edited:

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
I had it enabled in my battery profile and noticed slight increase of battery usage when in sleep mode.

Of course it could be my head as I have not heard others have same problem, yet.

But, if there is some problem in it, I expect it to be fixed in following months, thus I will try to enable it back after 3-4 updates.

Isn't that expected behaviour? Power nap is doing stuff at intervals whilst your Mac is "sleeping". This has to consume more power whilst sleeping than if it was not enabled.

This feature was introduced in Mountain Lion so you should be able to find out if what you are seeing is expected.

Hyuga

macrumors regular
May 16, 2006
Helsinki or Barcelona
My apologies, I should have given more detailed message.

I had it enabled before in 10.8 and noticed after upgrading to 10.9 dp1 that it consumes more battery, or so I at least think.

Isn't that expected behaviour? Power nap is doing stuff at intervals whilst your Mac is "sleeping". This has to consume more power whilst sleeping than if it was not enabled.

This feature was introduced in Mountain Lion so you should be able to find out if what you are seeing is expected.

wermy

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2013
Has anyone with a 2013 MBA tried it yet? The battery life on those is already ridiculously good, I'm wondering how much more it will improve with Mavericks. :D

playsontheleft

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2012
Weird. Clean install onto a new partition on my rMBP cut my battery life right down; from 7-8+ hours on a full charge to only 4 or so. I found my battery life to be really excellent under Mountain Lion but for some reason Mavericks is sucking the machine dry. Pretty stumped given that it's from a clean install...

What did you guys do in order to achieve these battery lives? Anything special?

Hyuga

macrumors regular
May 16, 2006
Helsinki or Barcelona
Weird. Clean install onto a new partition on my rMBP cut my battery life right down; from 7-8+ hours on a full charge to only 4 or so. I found my battery life to be really excellent under Mountain Lion but for some reason Mavericks is sucking the machine dry. Pretty stumped given that it's from a clean install...

What did you guys do in order to achieve these battery lives? Anything special?

I was aggressively watching energy tab in activity monitor first few days, and noticed that Safari overall uses most battery in my system. It seemed that safari had trouble with some web pages and they consumed a lot of cpu in the background. Also afterwards I put ClickToFlash back to my safari.

Just watch activity monitor and try to find what is using all your battery.

Hyuga

macrumors regular
May 16, 2006
Helsinki or Barcelona
For people who are interested, see attachment.

Battery lasted successfully (2.6GHz rMBP) flight from USA to Europe, wlan and bt off, brightness was usually around 10-20%. Computer was sleeping during inflight meal.

No surfing with Safari, twice watched short 1080p movies with VLC and listened music from iTunes. Rest of the time it was Word and Excel.

Attachments

• battery.png
    battery.png
    51.5 KB · Views: 1,150
Last edited:

Quercus Alba

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2013
For people who are interested, see attachment.

Battery lasted successfully (2.6GHz rMBP) flight from USA to Europe, wlan and bt off, brightness was usually around 10-20%. Computer was sleeping during inflight meal.

No surfing with Safari, twice watched short 1080p movies with VLC and listened music from iTunes. Rest of the time it was Word and Excel.

Wow, that looks great!

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
anyone else try? also curious to see battery life improvements on the Haswell Macbook Airs running Mavericks.

hunt2013

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2011
anyone else try? also curious to see battery life improvements on the Haswell Macbook Airs running Mavericks.

I just got my maxed out 2013 13 inch MBA. On 10.8.4 I got 13 hours. On 10.9

Wait for it...

16 hours on good days with just Safari.

It rocks

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.