Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

in_app_purchase_icon-250x250.jpg
As noted by 9to5Mac, iTunes Store customers have begun receiving emails notifying them of the settlement of a class action lawsuit related to unauthorized In-App Purchases made by children. The lawsuit originated from parents whose children racked up significant In-App Purchase bills through Apple's systems that in some cases allowed purchases to be made without requiring a password for the Apple ID account.

In the email, Apple outlines the settlement terms, which allow affected users to receive a minimum of a $5 iTunes Store credit. Users with more than $5 in charges can receive the full documented amount in credit, with cash refunds available to those with more than $30 in charges or who no longer have iTunes Store accounts.
You may choose between (a) a single $5 iTunes Store credit or (b) a credit equal to the total amount of Game Currency that a minor charged to your iTunes account without your knowledge or permission within a single forty-five (45) day period, less any refund you previously received ("Aggregate Relief"). A cash refund in lieu of an iTunes Store credit is available if (a) you no longer have an active iTunes account, or (b) your claims exceed $30 in total. Additional requirements for claiming charges after the forty-five (45) day period apply. You must complete a valid Claim Form to receive settlement benefits.
Users wishing to exclude themselves from the proposed settlement have until August 30 to do so, and those seeking iTunes Store credits or refunds have until January 13, 2014 to submit their claim forms. A searchable list of qualifying apps is available on the settlement website, and over 23 million users are expected to receive claim notices informing them that they may be eligible for compensation.

Article Link: iTunes Store Customers Notified of Settlement in In-App Purchase Lawsuit

ironsienna

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
Skeuomorphic icon!!! Red Alert!!! Jony is coming to redesign it!!!

k86q.jpg

Last edited:

silvetti

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2011
Poland
What If I can't remember if I got charged because my kid used my phone ?

Can I still file the charge and they will check on their side ?

mikelegacy

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
How about this? How about these people just parent their damn children.

If I had a kid, and he racked up a $100 bill for app purchases, he's be mowing out neighbors yards and making the money to pay me back.

He/she would think twice about doing it again.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Class Action = Lawyers got a bundle

Consumers get coupon/credit and close to nothing.

Filing the paperwork takes more time than what you get.

And, all that because whenever somebody in USA screws up (as in bad parenting) they look for somebody else to blame and pay!

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Class Action = Lawyers got a bundle

Consumers get coupon/credit and close to nothing.

Filing the paperwork takes more time than what you get.

And, all that because whenever somebody in USA screws up (as in bad parenting) they look for somebody else to blame and pay!

It's the American way. :D

HardRain

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2012
The IAP system is evil, plain and simple. It is a system of extortion designed to trick and deceive. No one in their right mind would allow such blatant scamming in any other area of life would they?

Sadly Apple's hunger for $'s blinded them from taking proper measures to prevent such issues. Talk about turning a blind eye.

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
You can't put a price tag on inattentive parenting.

I'll bet the farm you've yet to produce offspring.

Considering I would wake up at 5 in the morning to play Zelda or Ice Climber when my parents specifically told me not to, I think it's a safe assumption to make that my kid has it in her to circumvent her parent's wishes.

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY

If I had a kid, and he racked up a $100 bill for app purchases, he's be mowing out neighbors yards and making the money to pay me back.

You should probably look into this case a bit more. For starters would you really have a 4 year old out mowing lawns? Let me know how that works for you. Second, the way in app purchases used to work app designers made it such that you didn't even know you were spending real money.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.

You are a great hypothetical parent! You should write a self-help book on how to be a great hypothetical parent of non-existent children! If you did, it would be a best-seller! :D

HardRain

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2012

Clearly you don't have a kid, as you so eloquently put it. How about going after the person who deceived your kid? How about that? The concept of money is not easily understood by children, surely stopping the deception of vulnerable children in the first place might be something to consider?

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

My iPad has at times fallen in the hands of a four year old. Had to remove dozens and dozens of photos of the furniture, floor, ceiling, various body parts and so on. It happens very quickly, and she had no idea she was taking photos. She'll press any buttons that are in sight. Including buttons for in-app purchases. Now my devices are set up so that every single purchase requires a password (no 15 minutes grace period), but there are games that allow single purchases over £50, so without this, she could easily rack up £1000 or £2000 in a few unobserved minutes.

On the other hand, there was a story on MacRumors about a 13 year old racking up £3,000 over several months. In that case, I agree with you (and Apple did as well, refusing any refund).

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
I'll bet the farm you've yet to produce offspring.

Considering I would wake up at 5 in the morning to play Zelda or Ice Climber when my parents specifically told me not to, I think it's a safe assumption to make that my kid has it in her to circumvent her parent's wishes.

That's precisely why you should use iTunes cards rather than using your credit card.

litmag01

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2009
I'm going to wait for the class action allowing refunds on ALL "mistaken" online purchases.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
My iPad has at times fallen in the hands of a four year old. Had to remove dozens and dozens of photos of the furniture, floor, ceiling, various body parts and so on. It happens very quickly, and she had no idea she was taking photos. She'll press any buttons that are in sight. Including buttons for in-app purchases. Now my devices are set up so that every single purchase requires a password (no 15 minutes grace period), but there are games that allow single purchases over £50, so without this, she could easily rack up £1000 or £2000 in a few unobserved minutes.

On the other hand, there was a story on MacRumors about a 13 year old racking up £3,000 over several months. In that case, I agree with you (and Apple did as well, refusing any refund).

Moral of the story - don't give your iPad to a four year old.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.