Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last week, we shared a pair of photos of Apple's upcoming iPhone 5S, revealing a few details such as a larger-capacity battery and a new dual-LED flash system for the rear camera. At the time, we had some questions about the main chip from the device, which lacked an A-series identification printed on it and which carried date codes indicating that it had been manufactured in October 2012.

We have now received several additional photos showing the device in greater detail, with a particular emphasis on the main chip.

Prototype iPhone 5S (left) vs. iPhone 5 (right)
Click for larger
As seen in one photo, the chip carries an Apple model number of APL0698, suggesting that this is indeed intended to be branded as an A7 chip rather than a modification on the A6 chip found in the iPhone 5. The original A6 chip carried a model number of APL0598, with the A6X found in the fourth-generation iPad carrying an APL5598 model number, demonstrating how Apple varies the first digit for members of a given A-series family and increments the second digit when transitioning to a new family.

iphone_5S_chip.jpg
Main A-series chip from prototype iPhone 5S
Apple's pattern of model numbers can be seen even more clearly in the A5, which has seen several different variations over its lifetime. That chip debuted with an APL0498 model number, with a later die shrink carrying an APL2498 model number. Yet another version of the A5 appeared earlier this year in a tweaked Apple TV, with that chip carrying an APL7498 model number.

Additional markings on this new iPhone 5S chip indicate that it carries Elpida DRAM, apparently in the same 1 GB amount seen on the A6.

In addition to the 1243 date code visible in the previous photo, the new photo also clearly shows another date code of 1239 for the DRAM, indicating that that portion of the chip was manufactured in late September 2012. We have also determined that the device itself was assembled in December 2012, making it a rather early prototype.

Another item of interest on the main chip is a K1A0062 identifier. We spoke with Dick James and Jim Morrison of chip teardown firm Chipworks, and they pointed out that in previous chips this number has typically started with an "N" and referred to a Samsung part number on the die. They wonder whether this new "K" identifier could indicate that the chip is being made by TSMC instead of Samsung. A transition from Samsung to TSMC has long been rumored, although the latest rumors indicate that the move will be made with the A8 chip rather than the A7.

iphone_5S_rear_text.jpg
Closeup of text on rear of prototype iPhone 5S (IMEI obscured)
Additional photos reveal a clearer view of the text on the rear of the device showing placeholder model and regulatory identifiers of X1234X, as well as a clear view of the rear camera system with dual-LED flash.

iphone_5S_camera_flash-800x380.jpg
Rear camera, microphone, and dual-LED flash on prototype iPhone 5S

Article Link: Apple's Prototype iPhone 5S Based on New A7 Chip

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
Nice! The Dual Flash looks like they're separated for Tungsten color balance and Daylight color balance..

This means your nighttime party pics aren't going to be as harsh-blue and will match room lighting.

The colored flash matches a tungsten filter. For example:
filter_holder_sch_e1__hero.jpg

Last edited:

Hakone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2011
Southern California
The iP5's processor is still rather snappy that I doubt i'll notice a difference w/ the 5S. I'm wondering if iOS7 will need such 'computing horsepower' to run it smoothly.

Still, i'm all for incremental upgrades.

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2007
Shaping up to be a worthy update for those of us who have 4Ss on a two-year upgrade cycle. :D

Dredd67

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2012
Dual color flash?

I think they will be used alternatively depending on the lighting conditions, to give a more natural look wether it's for a portrait in the shades, or night landscapes/ architecture for instance. Or maybe a balanced combination, or even greater: we would be given the choice to use either one or the other...

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
Seems this update wil be only an speed boost, no new features as NFC or fingerprint scanner... pity:apple:
We don't know that. Or I guess you missed the dual led flash part. Early prototype prob just doesn't have a fingerprint scanner yet, or simply not mentioned by this article. As for NFC. Idk that many people use it too often. Don't think it's that missed.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
That is my guess. What would a dual color flash do anyway?

I would like to see them improve on the durability of the phone.

They could produce two complementary parts of the color spectrum. I don't know anything about white LEDs, but it may be tough to get a pure white flash as bright as they want. Using two different LEDs may be comparable to two white LEDs in terms of brightness but it may allow the camera to dynamically adjust for lightning conditions/white balance.

That being said, the "K" is definitely an apple assigned number, so you can't look at TSMC parts to get an idea of whether it fits.

The A series is also likely to switch GPU generations this time, but I doubt that's significant enough to warrant different numbering from Apple's side. I'm going to ignore that questionable digitimes and assume this is a TSMC part.

edit:

Nice! The Dual Flash looks like they're separated for Tungsten color balance and Daylight color balance..

This means your nighttime party pics aren't going to be as harsh-blue and will match room lighting.

Just now saw this. Glad to see my intuition was correct :D. Makes it feel even more legitimate to me. Would someone think to fake something like this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.