Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After a delay that saw the Leap Motion release pushed from May to July, the company is now working on the final preparations for its touch-free motion tracking device that allows users to control computers via hand gestures.

leapmotion.jpg
As of this week, the Leap Motion beta will be expanded, giving more than 10,000 developers access to a new developer portal (via CNET) and a new app discovery platform, known as Airspace. When Leap Motion launches, the company plans to have approximately 100 apps from different companies in its app store, though some of those will be for Windows while some will be for Mac.
Developers who are part of the beta, or those who access the developer portal, will see that the company is offering two APIs that it had not previously disclosed publicly, one that tracks users' palms, even when they turn their hands over, and another designed to track users when they grip with their hands.
The APIs available for developers include support for both Windows 8 and Mac OS X and allow access basic tools like scrolling, zooming, and pointing and clicking. There's also an advanced set of controls that provide access to more complex operations.

Last week, Leap Motion paired up with Highland Capital Partners to launch the Leap Fund, a $25 million investment that is designed to fund future development on the platform.

Leap Motion is expected to be released on July 22.

Article Link: Leap Motion Reaches Final Beta Stages, Plans to Launch Airspace App Store

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I'm confused why WWDC started with those silly cars instead of this.

Is anyone planning on getting those cars? Is anyone planning on getting this? Is anyone planning on developing for this? (I'm thinking about this - the car is silly, end of story.)

jpmcnown

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2011
"Kickstarter", where people pay in early to watch ideas become reality, much much much later and far far far less impressive than originally intended.

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
Remember, this is to be used in conjunction with your mouse. You won't be getting super sore and buff.

EiriasEmrys

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2010
You aren't the audience they are looking for.

Is anyone planning on getting those cars? Is anyone planning on getting this? Is anyone planning on developing for this? (I'm thinking about this - the car is silly, end of story.)

HAHAHAAHA I cannot fathom this question. Maybe I see the brilliance of it because I have kid brothers that are in lower elementary school. This isn't a toy for adults (though it could be) its a toy for kids. Its the hot wheels of this generation. If you question its potential success, take a look at the $1 billion revenue brought in in a years time by Activision's Skylanders game. Similar market, same trade/collect potential.

That sneak peak of ankai was not a preview of a glossy point-of-sale product, it was a glimpse into the future of play. I don't think, in the end, advances like the leap will be as impactful in the long term as ai + robot interface.

Innovation is guided by consumer interest, if you can't make a hot product, it doesn't matter how brilliant or groundbreaking it is, it needs to be "massively marketable" to really shape the future of tech. Leap has a longer way to go to accomplish that than Ankai, and of course, I am of the opinion that Ankai's tech and philosophy is more profoundly impactful -- even if it is disguised in a familiar and "silly" package.

Just my thoughts.

romainmenke

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2013
HAHAHAAHA I cannot fathom this question. Maybe I see the brilliance of it because I have kid brothers that are in lower elementary school. This isn't a toy for adults (though it could be) its a toy for kids. Its the hot wheels of this generation. If you question its potential success, take a look at the $1 billion revenue brought in in a years time by Activision's Skylanders game. Similar market, same trade/collect potential.

That sneak peak of ankai was not a preview of a glossy point-of-sale product, it was a glimpse into the future of play. I don't think, in the end, advances like the leap will be as impactful in the long term as ai + robot interface.

Innovation is guided by consumer interest, if you can't make a hot product, it doesn't matter how brilliant or groundbreaking it is, it needs to be "massively marketable" to really shape the future of tech. Leap has a longer way to go to accomplish that than Ankai, and of course, I am of the opinion that Ankai's tech and philosophy is more profoundly impactful -- even if it is disguised in a familiar and "silly" package.

Just my thoughts.

Anki

InfoTime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Probably because it was the (Apple) Worldwide Developers Conference and the Leap runs on Mac OS X and Windows.

In fact, from the tone of the article, it sounds like their app store might have more Windows programs than Mac.

One Bad Duck

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2005
Anybody else realise that the leap motion fits nicely above the f keys in the keyboard base of any laptop. Immediate end to actually touching the screen on Win8 (how that idea actually took off is beyond me). Apple can also get some proper gestures on the go.

New feature on new MacBook pros? You heard it here first chaps.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007

Just my thoughts.

I believe you're far overestimating the impact of one and underestimating the impact of the other. The leap motion stands to change every industry that any developer thinks of touching with it (I know several peers who are developing for it, and I'm considering the possibilities myself.)

The Ankai is poised to take over the toy car market (except not really - only the laziest of kids wants an R/C car that drives itself so the kid doesn't have to.) Suppose they do become as popular as Skylanders - so freaking what? They're still just toys, and from the looks of it the people who will enjoy them the most are the people who made them (as a developer, I've noticed I tend to enjoy the things I make more than other people do. Which is okay, because I like them so much it's hard for anyone to like them more than me, anyways.)

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I got sore arms just thinking about this, or is that "Gorilla arms"?

Still better than touch screen and like all new things this is optional.

I would have loved it if Apple has bought the rights and started putting it into the iMac and maybe laptops and the new LED to go with the next Mac Pro.

My biggest gripe with the 27" iMac is keeping the screen clean, with over 2500 square centimeters to keep clean the last thing I want it finger prints. Also I've notice just how easily the screen moves when cleaning, I'd be for ever cleaning and setting the right angle!

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Apple missed the bus on this tech... HP on the other hand will have it built into their laptops.

Yeah, because I'm sure they're not developing anything at all to address motion gestures deep in the bowels of Apple headquarters :rolleyes:

Fact is, this is one of those areas of tech where Apple usually pulls off a coup. They let others flounder with all of the gee whiz and cobbled together solutions, then swoop in a couple of years later (or longer in some cases) and bring forward a fully baked and integrated solution. Wouldn't surprise me to see them announce something later this year, in fact...

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

Likely because the cars were ready to be seen and Leap not so much by the deadline to 'fix' the schedule.

I just hope we don't have another Infinity Blade where something is demoed to release 'later this year' and never does

----------

Fact is, this is one of those areas of tech where Apple usually pulls off a coup. They let others flounder with all of the gee whiz and cobbled together solutions, then swoop in a couple of years later (or longer in some cases) and bring forward a fully baked and integrated solution. Wouldn't surprise me to see them announce something later this year, in fact...

Something being just weeks after Leap fails and is going to have to cut things, we find that Apple bought them

THAT is more Apple's style than trying to duplicate what someone, especially a startup, is doing

z2daj

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2011
Worcester, MA

The point of the "silly" cars wasn't to show off a potential revolution to the R/C car industry. It was to show how powerful the iPhone (and entire iOS platform) can be. The AI behind the cars is impressive given that it's all based off a mobile phone. The research gone into developing this AI system opens doors to all sorts of applications where the main "brain" can be a modern smart phone instead of a traditional desktop or specialized embedded computer.

Sure the application may be a little "silly" in your opinion, but if you take the time to understand the technology behind the "silly" cars, you will really gain an appreciation for the iOS platform.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
This is the sort of improvement Apple should be making, not glitz and bling junk. With this I can just wave my hand slightly and give the finger to a dialog box, close a window, push a button, etc without ever taking my hands off the home row of the keyboard. I touch type. This would be the awesome next step to add to typing and a track pad.

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Orlando, FL

Those silly cars? Did you realized that you just called Anki a new and young company with a goal in AI and robotics to extend it's ideas in solve mayor problems on today's transit with a chip in your pocket, Silly?

Anki is trying to let you sleep when tired inside your car until you arrive to your home after finished a long day job with no worries.

Of course it's was presented as a toy and a game... but do you think that Apple wanted to show that because of a game?

think again... icar maybe?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Those silly cars? Did you realized that you just called Anki a new and young company with a goal in AI and robotics to extend it's ideas in solve mayor problems on today's transit with a chip in your pocket, Silly?

Anki is trying to let you sleep when tired inside your car until you arrive to your home after finished a long day job with no worries.

Of course it's was presented as a toy and a game... but do you think that Apple wanted to show that because of a game?

think again... icar maybe?

I doubt it, although I have heard that a bus line in my area says they're highly interested in having automated busses...

SILen(e

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
The Ankai is poised to take over the toy car market (except not really - only the laziest of kids wants an R/C car that drives itself so the kid doesn't have to.) Suppose they do become as popular as Skylanders - so freaking what? They're still just toys, and from the looks of it the people who will enjoy them the most are the people who made them

But the Anki cars only inflict pain if you use them wrong - step on them barefoot.
Leap on the other hand is really impressive tech and probably close to "magic" (but toy cars that drive themselves are also very close to "magic") - but the moment the desktop/notebook touchscreen bubble bursts - Leap will become much less interesting.

Using a regular display as a touchscreen on a regular basis will hurt, because you have to extend and hold your arm all the time, someone famous once said "Your arm wants to fall off"^^

Sure, there are other uses and also gestures that are much easier to do, but I think we can agree that Leap will mainly be used to turn regular screens to "like-Touchscreens".

And that is something that people think they will enjoy - until they try it themselves and go back to using the mouse, due to an aching arm after 20 minutes of use.

The next revolution in computer input won't be touchscreens, it won't be gesture based input like Kinect or Leap - they mostly just map regular mouse or touchpadbased control or gestures to your hand.

It will be voice-based digital personal assistants.

Like Siri, but more like Siri 3.

Just asking for something and the personal assistant will figure out how to do it with AI.

Saying "Buy me the newest album from XY on iTunes" is so much easier and faster than opening iTunes via mouse, touch or gesture, typing in the artist name, clicking the right buy button.
Or "Send the documents I worked on last night per Email to my mother".

The difference of Leap to something that advanced will be like adding albums you like to your MP3 player via drag&drop in the Explorer/Finder or just using intelligent playlists and syncing them to the device.

Beyongthewall

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2013
Houston
This is so cool ! :D. Big innovation for computer hardware and brings more comfort for end customer. What's the price range for the products? just wondering.:rolleyes:

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
But the Anki cars only inflict pain if you use them wrong - step on them barefoot.
Leap on the other hand is really impressive tech and probably close to "magic" (but toy cars that drive themselves are also very close to "magic") - but the moment the desktop/notebook touchscreen bubble bursts - Leap will become much less interesting.

Using a regular display as a touchscreen on a regular basis will hurt, because you have to extend and hold your arm all the time, someone famous once said "Your arm wants to fall off"^^

Sure, there are other uses and also gestures that are much easier to do, but I think we can agree that Leap will mainly be used to turn regular screens to "like-Touchscreens".

And that is something that people think they will enjoy - until they try it themselves and go back to using the mouse, due to an aching arm after 20 minutes of use.

The next revolution in computer input won't be touchscreens, it won't be gesture based input like Kinect or Leap - they mostly just map regular mouse or touchpadbased control or gestures to your hand.

It will be voice-based digital personal assistants.

Like Siri, but more like Siri 3.

Just asking for something and the personal assistant will figure out how to do it with AI.

Saying "Buy me the newest album from XY on iTunes" is so much easier and faster than opening iTunes via mouse, touch or gesture, typing in the artist name, clicking the right buy button.
Or "Send the documents I worked on last night per Email to my mother".

The difference of Leap to something that advanced will be like adding albums you like to your MP3 player via drag&drop in the Explorer/Finder or just using intelligent playlists and syncing them to the device.

Obviously a leap motion won't replace your every interaction with your computer, but it'll replace several, especially within visual design and video games. You can't tell Siri how to shape a model in Blender, but you could mold it in your hands like clay.

JoshuaTurner

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2012

The cars were a proof-of-concept on what an AI program can do in real life; imagine them cars as full-size cars on a real road.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.