Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NitroBiz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
I am American living in Brazil with obviously not a US IP address and I desperately want to use and watch my newly added Watch ESPN app (live stream) on my AppleTV but I'm unable to figure out how to do so. Can anyone help me? I have a MacBook Air, AppleTV 3 and Apple Airport for my router. Is there anything else I need (like a VPN router) or is there a trick using network sharing making use of the ethernet with regard to Mac OSX? I found this website with a step by step instruction on setting up a VPN access but it didn't work

Any help would greatly be appreciated!

institute

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
You also need a cable account with an ESPN cable provider in the US so I don't think you will be able to use it.

ToyotaGuy23

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2009
Can you get video from the MBA to the TV?
If so, just use a (good) VPN service on the MBA, and use the TV as your display.

NitroBiz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
@ToyotaGuy23

I'm not sure how to do that, do you know of a website that can give me a step by step tutorial?

ToyotaGuy23

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2009
StrongVPN looks like a good one, though I have no experience with it.
I have used VyprVPN in the past, which met my needs 100%.

Basically, your web traffic will be routed through a computer (server) at the location of your choice. VyprVPN probably has the most locations, but I haven't done any true research to definitively back that up. It is definitely easy to use for anyone.

Mac in Brazil ----> ESPN You get Blocked...
Mac in Brazil ----> Server in Texas, USA ----> ESPN You don't get blocked!

As far as ESPN is concerned, you are connecting from somewhere in Texas, and do not get blocked.

The only downside to using a VPN is that the time it takes to route your traffic through a server in another country can sometimes affect performance, especially if your Internet connection speed isn't great to start with. So, if you wanted to surf the web through a VPN, it could give slower performance, but still usable. Since streaming (LIVE?) sports uses a lot of bandwidth to start with, you may have performance issues depending on several factors, like your overall connection speed to start with.

That being said, tons of people use VPN services for this very reason, and have acceptable results. I would strongly recommend getting a good VPN service, like VyprVPN and try it for a month. If it works for you, keep it, if not, you're not married to the service.

Now, to get the content on your television, we'll need an adapter of some sort. I assume you have HDMI connections on your television, and for that, you'll need a (thunderbolt?) to HDMI adapter + an HDMI cable.

There are a lot of unknowns here, like does your MBA have thunderbolt, and does your TV have HDMI...

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
I am American living in Brazil with obviously not a US IP address and I desperately want to use and watch my newly added Watch ESPN app (live stream) on my AppleTV but I'm unable to figure out how to do so. Can anyone help me? I have a MacBook Air, AppleTV 3 and Apple Airport for my router. Is there anything else I need (like a VPN router) or is there a trick using network sharing making use of the ethernet with regard to Mac OSX? I found this website with a step by step instruction on setting up a VPN access but it didn't work

Any help would greatly be appreciated!

I watch netflix and hulu plus in mexico with unblock-us, it may work with espn also.

http://www.unblock-us.com/

betman

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
1. For starters, don't you need to have an account with one of the providers listed in the app and not just any US IP address?

2. Secondly, is a VPN really necessary or can a DNS-based solution work instead? I use Unotelly DNS for both US Netflix and Hulu and everything works like a charm. DNS is good in that it shows you as being in the US when accessing those sites, but when it comes to streaming then it goes directly from them to you (and not via an intermediary like a VPN).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.