Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alexandurrr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
Howdy guys,

I am new to the forums and new to this whole beta experience, so I am trying to figure out some of the things that I've been reading on here!

A lot of users are saying that a "clean" install of iOS 7 is the best way to go. Can somebody please explain to me how I can go about with a "clean" install?

Thank you so much for all of your patience as I try and learn this stuff out :)

-Alex

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
If you don't know what that means your better off waiting for the final version

Are you a developer ?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Howdy guys,

I am new to the forums and new to this whole beta experience, so I am trying to figure out some of the things that I've been reading on here!

A lot of users are saying that a "clean" install of iOS 7 is the best way to go. Can somebody please explain to me how I can go about with a "clean" install?

Thank you so much for all of your patience as I try and learn this stuff out :)

-Alex

Clean meaning installing on a blank device, instead of updating over existing OS.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
If I currently have iOS 6 running, how do I make my device blank?

Thanks!

Do some Google kung fu. Apple's website is a good place to start with learning the basics of how to use your phone. It is a simple process.

I would advice not installing a buggy beta release, if you don't have experience in the preliminary steps. You could be inviting real trouble, especially if the phone is the only one you have.

Something to think about.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
Howdy guys,

There are some basic skills needed to run a beta. One of those skills is learning how to do a clean install. Another basic skill is 'figuring out' somethings on your own. There are are instructions on MR and all over the internet how to do a clean install.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Why so rude with the guy?

To do a clean install you have to connect your iPhone to your Mac, open iTunes, click 'restore' on iTunes and install iOS. Then when everything is done and you're running the setup on your iPhone DON'T select 'Restore from iCloud backup', tap on 'Set as a new phone'.

...But since you need to do Shift + Update to install iOS 7, I really don't know how to do a clean install of a beta software...

martinocando

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2013
There are a couple of thing you should consider before attempting installing the OS.
1. iOS7 is in Beta stage. That means is not very stable (although some say is more stable than previous betas), but definitively have issues, and many apps does not run. If you have a specific app that you rely on a daily basis, and does not run, is not pretty.
2. iOS7 was released for Developers, and developers only. That means, that you must be a developer to access the site and download it. If you are not a developer, you will have to go to one of the "unofficial" sites or torrents to download a software that, although it might be safe, you can't be certain it won't have ill effects on your device.

If you are clear with these two things, then do a clean install.

A clean install have nothing to do with a blank device. All devices are blank when installing a new OS. There is no way to "upgrade" your device, only by doing OTA, but the only way to do it from iOS6 to iOS7 is by restore. Once you have Beta 1, you can "upgrade" to Beta 2 OTA. Or you can simply download the Beta 2 image, and restore.
Once your phone starts with the new OS, then you have the chance of doing a clean install, simply by setting your phone as new. If you restore from a backup, either icloud or itunes, it will be considered an "upgrade" install, and might have some issues.

That is it.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Why so rude with the guy?

To do a clean install you have to connect your iPhone to your Mac, open iTunes, click 'restore' on iTunes and install iOS. Then when everything is done and you're running the setup on your iPhone DON'T select 'Restore from iCloud backup', tap on 'Set as a new phone'.

...But since you need to do Shift + Update to install iOS 7, I really don't know how to do a clean install of a beta software...

I don't think anyone has been rude.

My point was to try and get the OP to stop and think a moment, about what he was wanting to get involved in. I was trying to save him some pain.

If a person isn't willing to do some simple homework ahead of time when the information is available, the chances of a person being able to recover their device should something terrible go wrong, are very slim on his or her own.

Why take that risk with what may be his only phone? That is the kind of thing I was trying to convey.

Sometimes tough love is needed, instead of feeding people the answer. I wouldn't want him to have more than he can handle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.