Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
NEW YORK (AP) -- Men's Wearhouse Inc. has dismissed its founder and executive chairman George Zimmer.

In a terse release issued Wednesday, the company didn't give a reason for the abrupt firing of Zimmer, who built Men's Wearhouse from one small Texas store using a cigar box as a cash register to one of the nation's largest specialty retailers in men's clothing, with 1,143 locations.

In light of Zimmer's termination, the company postponed its annual shareholders' meeting scheduled for Wednesday. It said the purpose of the postponement is to re-nominate the existing slate of directors without him. It said the board expects to discuss with Zimmer the extent, if any, and terms of "his ongoing relationship" with the company
Zimmer was seen as the face of the company, appearing in many of its TV commercials with the slogan, "You're going to like the way you look. I guarantee it."

The company, based in Fremont, Calif., runs its namesake chain of men's clothing stores, as well as the Moores and K&G retail chains. It also sells uniform and work wear in the U.S. and U.K.

As of 9:30 a.m., the company's website still prominently spotlighted Zimmer.
The abrupt departure comes a week after Men's Wearhouse reported that its fiscal first-quarter profit increased 23 percent, helped by stronger margins and an earlier prom season.
http://news.yahoo.com/mens-wearhouse-ousts-founder-exec-132847193.html

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I thought he was a cool spokesman. I actually shopped there because I liked their commercials, and the local store really cared about their shoppers. I loved the tailor there. He was so kind and gentle, and always went above and beyond the call with any issues I've ever had.

There has to be some back story that we aren't aware of...

Like OJ, we may never know...

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
Uhm, this was news one week go.

At any rate, I don't hop at Men's Warehouse, so indent care.
(I prefer those buy one get two free deals at Jos A Bank.)

-

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
I didn't realize he was an executive for the company. I just thought he might've quit to be the stand in for The Most Interesting Man in the Universe.

renewed

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2009
Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.
Uhm, this was news one week go.

At any rate, I don't hop at Men's Warehouse, so indent care.
(I prefer those buy one get two free deals at Jos A Bank.)

-

Then why comment?

-------------------------------

It'd be interesting to know the reason. It's a nice store and as stated above he was a cool face for the brand.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
That's too bad, they dumped him. Loved his tagline.

Then why comment?

ax-grinding-jig.jpg

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
He has a good sense of humor. I remember a news story from several years ago where he debunked the myth of him having a toupee. He joked that it was in fact his real hair and that he just has a bad haircut.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
Y'know, those commercials with Mr. Zimmer weren't works of art, but I didn't mind watching them. He had a presence and a sincerity that came through on the TV screen. Let's see if the bigwigs at Men's Wearhouse can figure out how to advertise without him.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.