Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
So I have a friend who's old pc recently crashed on him, which prompted him to upgrade to a Mac. Well as a result he is unable to transfer his music library from the old pc to the Mac, however he still has his music on his iPod touch. However when he attempts to sync his music with the Mac, he says that he is only able to sync his iTunes purchased music, but that in error he says his other music is deemed "Unauthorized" and he can't transfer it from his iPod Touch to the Mac. Any suggestions here? I've never had this problem, and was able to transfer my entire music library from old MacBook Pro to my new one without any problems. Are there any decent iTunes alternatives out there that might help him get his music from the iPod Touch to the Mac? Thanks for the help.

Inopia-Vi

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2011
Lost in space
Easier, open itunes, check the manualy manage music. Sync but don't check the sync music or anything else. You should be able to retrie the music with a copy-paste.

If not working, try senuti. It it free for under 1000 song. The full lience is 20$

wimdows

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2012
It is outrageous that Apple does not seem to cater for these common scenarios (new computer, existing iOS device - old computer, new iOS device) in an easy and intuitive fashion.

It would be a doddle for Apple to make this intuitive. Currently, it's a pain in the back side and the end user experience suffers.

We shouldn't have to buy third-party tools to get this done.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
It is outrageous that Apple does not seem to cater for these common scenarios (new computer, existing iOS device - old computer, new iOS device) in an easy and intuitive fashion.

It would be a doddle for Apple to make this intuitive. Currently, it's a pain in the back side and the end user experience suffers.

You can transfer apps from an iOS device with no problem. People bring this question up all the time, and it really is a user fault. iPods are not designed for you to just load the music up and then delete it from your hard drive. It has NEVER worked like that. Why? Because it's just the agreement that Apple has made to save their behinds. There are millions and millions and millions of iPods out there. It's not some device you can hook up to your friends computer and share your downloads with, it's a personal device meant for one person, and files meant for that one person.

The only reason why you can manage your music manually is just for the sake of not destroying your library every time you want to charge it on another computer. Or, in the case of you having multiple machines with multiple collections.

Your computer crashed? Well, sorry, that's just life. It's always been stated in the iTunes agreement that we NEED to do our own backups.

I have used PhoneView for many years now. It has never done me wrong and handles music too. I don't use it for that though, but was just pointing it out. A great investment it was.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
If you bought your music through iTunes, Apple makes it easy to download the music again.

If you bought your music on CDs, you can re-rip them.

If you don't backup your computer, you will probably lose something more valuable than music. It's only a pain if you stole the music and have no backup.

boneskid1

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
If you don't backup your computer, you will probably lose something more valuable than music. It's only a pain if you stole the music and have no backup.

I will state against this, there is a fair chance that the music on the ipod could have came from someone elses collection it does not always mean that it is "stolen" for example my dad has old cd's that i ripped for my use and now that disc has decent crack in it and so do a few others. making it quite impossible to get the music from other sources except the ipod i had it on.

if your option does not work try to find a download for an app called "IpodDisk" with no quotes you will also need the program called "macFuze" to use the above app. i am not sure what gen ipods this works with since i used it with a first gen nano to avoid using itunes, ipodDisk is also a mac specific app i am not sure as far as windows go i know that if the ipod is formatted with a windows version of itunes that you can turn on file sharing and show hidden files. your music will appear but it will have encrypted names.

if you do in fact get the music off. make sure to make a full back up of that music so you are covered in the future if your ipod or music device goes to whack.

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
I will state against this, there is a fair chance that the music on the ipod could have came from someone elses collection it does not always mean that it is "stolen" for example my dad has old cd's that i ripped for my use and now that disc has decent crack in it and so do a few others. making it quite impossible to get the music from other sources except the ipod i had it on.

if your option does not work try to find a download for an app called "IpodDisk" with no quotes you will also need the program called "macFuze" to use the above app. i am not sure what gen ipods this works with since i used it with a first gen nano to avoid using itunes, ipodDisk is also a mac specific app i am not sure as far as windows go i know that if the ipod is formatted with a windows version of itunes that you can turn on file sharing and show hidden files. your music will appear but it will have encrypted names.

if you do in fact get the music off. make sure to make a full back up of that music so you are covered in the future if your ipod or music device goes to whack.

Umm, if you're ripping your fathers CD's that he bought on to your computer then by definition your stealing. (I'm not criticizing you by any means, just point out a fact

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011

I get most of my music from Amazon. Now I don't know if this has changed with the introduction of their cloud service, but traditionally Amazon MP3 purchases are not tracked. Meaning you must back up yourself. Same is true for a lot of legitimate music sites.

Also consider that if a title is pulled from the Apple store, as does occasionally happen, then you can no longer redownloaded it from iTunes.

boneskid1

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
Umm, if you're ripping your fathers CD's that he bought on to your computer then by definition your stealing. (I'm not criticizing you by any means, just point out a fact

not really. at all. seeing as how it is shared in the house it really is not stealing as, as far as the disc itself is concerned, we already own it.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Uhhh...

In this case, stolen and unauthorized user are the same. Your dad paid for those songs, you did not.

----------

not really. at all. seeing as how it is shared in the house it really is not stealing as, as far as the disc itself is concerned, we already own it.

Who paid for it? Did you split the cost of the CD?

preyan

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2007
South Africa
One thing I'm in favour of is NOT stealing music! That's what I always liked about Apple and iTunes. iPods are not plug and play devices that will work seamlessly with Internet explorer, like a hard drive for example.

If you ask me, :apple: is the saving grace to some extent for the ailing, failing and robbed music industry. The fact that you can't just share your iPod music has saved a lot of labels and artists money.

That's my rant :D

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Pretty much already stated, but THEFT is the reason why it's so hard to do.

And sorry, but ripping a song from a CD that doesn't direclty belong to YOU (read that carefully please, it doesn't matter if you're relatives, living under the same roof, clones (well, maybe clones...)) it is STILL stealing. It might only be theft in it's most ridiculous sense, but it still IS. Once you leave the house with the iPod, and dad is still at home with his CD, you would have a hard time making an argument in court that you somehow still "owned" the song (even if it would never happen).

If you could simply plug in an iPod, dump the music to anyone's library, and rinse and repeat, it would be called Napplester :D

macs4nw

macrumors 601
So I have a friend who's old pc recently crashed on him, which prompted him to upgrade to a Mac. Well as a result he is unable to transfer his music library from the old pc to the Mac, however he still has his music on his iPod touch. However when he attempts to sync his music with the Mac, he says that he is only able to sync his iTunes purchased music, but that in error he says his other music is deemed "Unauthorized" and he can't transfer it from his iPod Touch to the Mac. Any suggestions here? I've never had this problem, and was able to transfer my entire music library from old MacBook Pro to my new one without any problems. Are there any decent iTunes alternatives out there that might help him get his music from the iPod Touch to the Mac? Thanks for the help.

I know it's water under the bridge now, but this can't be shouted out often and loud enough:

Back up all your important and hard to replace stuff regularly, and then back up those back-ups!!!

When you say "his old pc crashed", do you mean the hard drive also died?
Data recovery experts can do amazing things, even with damaged HDs.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I know it's water under the bridge now, but this can't be shouted out often and loud enough:

Back up all your important and hard to replace stuff regularly, and then back up those back-ups!!!

When you say "his old pc crashed", do you mean the hard drive also died?
Data recovery experts can do amazing things, even with damaged HDs.

Haha, I don't even remember who I was trying to help here. But whomever it was, I believe we got it fixed. Great idea to always back up though!

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
My bad. I didn't look at the original post date, I see what you mean now. It was a recently resurrected thread.....:cool:

Haha no worries, and it just came to me who this thread was about, and on that note we definitely got things going. Thanks for the reply though! :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.