Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KhrisGarcia

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
Just a quick question...
I have a kingston 256gb usb 3 stick... Would it be possible to Run windows 7 via bootcamp from there?
I like the idea of having just that stick in the back of my imac...
And if so, could i have all windows relevant stuff ( Games ect) on that Stick too?

Quick awnser, no. Windows is unable to boot from USB or FireWire. Thunderbolt is different because it shows up as a PCIe device.

Chippy99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
It would be a shame if it was true. You can get Windows to boot off USB drives and there are plenty of guides to be found on how to do it. I am not sure it would be easy to do this with a Mac and Bootcamp but I am certain it is do-able.

KhrisGarcia

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
It would be a shame if it was true. You can get Windows to boot off USB drives and there are plenty of guides to be found on how to do it. I am not sure it would be easy to do this with a Mac and Bootcamp but I am certain it is do-able.

Creating a bootable USB Windows installer is easy. Are you saying you can install and run Windows 7 directly from a USB drive and not an internal drive? I'm not aware of this.

Chippy99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012

KhrisGarcia

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
No you are not what? Fat? Bald? ;-)

You asked if I am saying you can install Windows onto a USB stick and boot a full windows installation from USB stick. The answer is yes, you can.

Ok, so looks like it can be done using the Windows Automated Installation Kit. As you mentioned it may be difficult doing this with Boot Camp. The cloning method used for the Thunderbolt Boot Camp install may or may not work. I can test this on a 2011 MBA using Windows 7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.