Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SilverOath

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2013
Hi! I got a 'practically new' Haswell MacBook Air 13" 4/128 for ~780 (~840 with tax) this morning at Best Buy.

It's a YMMV deal - as it depends on their open box selections. The deal is that Best Buy is listing (at least at my local stores) their 13" Haswell Airs at ~865 at one, and ~905 at another. In addition to that they're offering an extra 10 percent off the open box list price. I cannot find a place where it lists the additional 10 percent off officially - but the salesman mentioned it at the first store (theirs had sold before I got there) -- and when I called the second store and asked they said they were offering the same discount as well.

The MacBook Airs are returned units -- but they can't be more than a week old! The one I got had 1 battery cycle and appeared brand new, it was only missing the microfiber cloth... (guess someone bought and returned it to swipe the cloth!). I figure this is better than waiting for a Back to School Promo, and is at least equivalent to getting a iPad mini (better IMO because I'd rather keep the cash)!

Hope this helps someone out there wavering about what to do! It won't help if you want a 8GB or i7 as Best Buy doesn't stock those (I saw the 256 model, but it was only marked down to 1150) - but it's great for getting a base model to bide your time until the Haswell Retinas are released. ;-)

Best wishes!

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Any way to check the stock online?

Yeah. Search for your local store under the store locator. Pull up your store's page and scroll towards the bottom. There's a section there that lists each store's open box and clearance inventory.

rollie6647

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2013
They are marking down the 2012 units. This is an extreeme ymmv. It seems you got the benefit of a price mistake on the return.

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
no wifi issues with the 2013? i'm guessing that's why there are a bunch of returns.

SilverOath

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2013
No wifi issues on mine.

It seems the mark down carries by store/region. It looks like 960 before 10% in SF, and here in Sacramento 860-900.

----------

no wifi issues with the 2013? i'm guessing that's why there are a bunch of returns.

Or it could be those people "renting" waiting for the back to school promo.

SilverOath

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2013
You found a 2013? i am only seeing 2012s

Yes. There are about 8 stores in Sacramento, between them 2 had the base 2013 at (860 at one and 905 at the other) and a third store had the i5/256 2013 (1130). I searched SF and found two stores selling the i5/128 2013 but they both priced it at 960. Still though with 10% off (assuming they run the same special thats still ~860 - almost 240 off new for a machine that is for all intents and purposes still new. Still a heck of a lot better than the 50 + (maybe 100 gift card) you would get off from Apple if they ever get around to the Back to School Special.

These are open box (i.e. returned - but it's not like they can be more than two weeks old).

jshmathias

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2013
ok yea i actually found a couple here in chicago but they had already been sold:( Im gonna keep looking their websites refresh every 24-48 hours they said.

AmishRakeFightr

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2013
I called one of the local Best Buy's that have some Open Box rMBPs listed but they're no longer offering the extra 10% off Open Box items. Can't find any online coupons that are still valid and the college student coupon code doesn't apply to Open Box items. =\

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.