Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Inventories of the Apple Thunderbolt Display are dwindling at some third-party resellers, according to a report from MacTrast. The site spoke to a number of retailers including MicroCenter, Fry's, CDW, Best Buy, MacConnection, and others.

Several stores said they had limited stock, while a number more said they were backordered or otherwise completely out of stock. One retailer, Adorama, went further, saying the Thunderbolt Display was "no longer available".

MacTrast called their customer support line and were told that "the manufacturer is no longer allowing us to order new inventory for this item, and it has been removed from our system".

apple_thunderbolt_display_front_side.jpg
Shortages of products at third-party resellers can occasionally be an indicator of a future refresh or discontinuation, but for a low-volume product like the Apple Thunderbolt Display, we can get mixed messages.

For example, this past January, AppleInsider reported similar shortages of the Thunderbolt Display at third-party resellers, but 6 months later, there is no replacement for it.

Regardless, redesigned Thunderbolt displays are expected at some point, perhaps alongside the new Mac Pro which is expected later this year. Potential features for a revamp include Retina capabilities, support for Thunderbolt 2, USB 3.0, and the MagSafe 2 connector that was introduced last year. The display may also be redesigned with the thinner profile and new display assembly process that Apple introduced with the new iMac late last year.

Article Link: Apple Thunderbolt Display Supplies Again Running Low at Third-Party Resellers

Schizoid

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2008
UK
they need something to accompany the cube, err I mean Mac Pro later this year

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
surely a 4k display of some size must be coming soon with apple making a big thing about that at wwdc

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
will my 2011 sandy macbook pro be able to display 4k?

Not at a decent refresh rate, no. Only with Thunderbolt 2 (not released yet) we'll be able to achieve real 4K at 60Hz.

Perhaps Thunderbolt 2 is the reason why the rMBPs haven't been refreshed yet.

I'm hoping for a 2880p Retina Thunderbolt display though, even if it's not released this year. 4K at 27" would imply a reduction in real estate once you turn HiDPI on. It'd be perfect for a 21.5" Retina iMac though.

EDIT: Just to clarify, 60Hz 4K is possible without Thunderbolt 2 if you have DisplayPort 1.2, which Thunderbolt 1 doesn't have and Thunderbolt 2 will have. In other words, it would be possible to have 60Hz 4K right now if Macs used a regular mini DiplayPort without Thunderbolt, but obviously Apple won't drop Thunderbolt just to have 4K support just a little earlier.

Last edited:

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
It is strange how the Apple Thunderbolt Display is thicker than an iMac, even though it only contains a screen. It also almost costs as much. Is the image quality at least better than that of the iMac? Plus if you buy it, you'd think you'll have a screen for many years (the main reason to buy a Mac Mini or Mac Pro is so you can upgrade it part by part, rather than the whole machine at once) yet you'll be limited by USB 2, Thunderbolt 1 and MagSafe 1 if you bought the current version.

I mean it's great that a screen has these hubs built in, but then it becomes just as prone to obsolescence as a computer. Wouldn't it be great if all you had to upgrade was a little chip inside that carried the controllers and the cables? Why replace the whole screen, unless they really do make a Retina screen, of course, but that won't necessarily happen.

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
OK.

I HOPE this means, that they intend to "broaden" the lineup.
1# I really wish for a 23-24" model in the FullHD+ resolution range, I'd even be okay if they'd package the 21,5" iMac Display in a TBD enclosure
2# The current 27" is okay, but I find it ridiculous, that its enclosure has a greater "volume" (cm3) than the 27" iMac
3# i Expect apple will introduce a 4K display at some point, but this may be too early...

RGDS,

P.S. Please, keep the FW800 port alive.

isomorphic

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
Maybe 4K this fall but not "Retina".

1.5 times the current 2560x1440 (in each dimension) gives the ultra-HD "4K" resolution of 3840x2160. That would take the DPI from 109 to 163.5.

It may not be "Retina," but I wouldn't complain about two on my desk.

However, if none of their current kit can drive that resolution, they may just update the Thunderbolt 27" with the things the article lists and come out with a Thunderbolt Pro display (30"? 32"?) to be paired with the Mac Pro.

Then I could finally retire my 30" Cinema Display.

Edit: "Quad-HD" is actually the existing resolution 2560x1440; 3840x2160 is called "ultra-HD."

Last edited:

Supacon

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2011
Canada
Maybe 4K this fall but not "Retina".

For all intents and purposes, would 4K not meet some definition of retina? There was some hint that they might straight up double the resolution of a 27" display (to 5120x2880), which isn't drastically more pixels than 4K (3840×2160).

It seems people I know complain that elements are too small on the 27" iMac anyways, so HiDPI mode at 3840x2160 could be about right for many, I think.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
No one wants a 4K display more than me, but for price reasons I'm not sure I see Apple bringing that to the market this year. I personally would prefer them not update the display until it is ready for 4K, so that they can roll out 4K as soon as possible.

I guess, however, that Mac Pro users will want a 4K display even if notebooks don't support 4K, so there is room in the market for two new displays.

Also, 4K on a 27" display would qualify as "Retina" as the idea behind retina is not so much about the actual pixel count as your ability to perceive the pixels. People generally view a 27" display from farther away than they view their iPhone screen from, so the pixel density doesn't need to be as high to qualify as "Retina."

cmanderson

macrumors regular
May 20, 2013
4K is really close to Retina on a 27" screen. I think Retina is around 2500 vertical lines where 4K is at 2K vertical lines.

It depends how far you are sitting away from the monitor. As "Retina" is simply marketing speak based on a bit of proven science.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
It is strange how the Apple Thunderbolt Display is thicker than an iMac, even though it only contains a screen. It also almost costs as much. Is the image quality at least better than that of the iMac?

Nope, it's practically the same thing, actually a little worse since you don't get the glare reduction and "painted on" effect offered by a laminated screen, which is also the reason the iMac is so thin compared to the TBD. The TBD's design is based on the old iMac, which used to be a lot thicker than now. It's really due for an update now. Apple must have been waiting for Thunderbolt 2.

Supacon

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2011
Canada
It seems obvious to me that Apple is going to release some kind of "4K" display, given how they talked it up when they introduced the Mac Pro. My money is on 4K "retina" Thunderbolt displays being available alongside the new Mac Pro.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Maybe offer two colors as well. Anodized black and standard silver. Really wanting a slightly bigger iMac, but would settle for a slightly bigger ACD.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
It depends how far you are sitting away from the monitor. As "Retina" is simply marketing speak based on a bit of proven science.

Regardless of the visual acuity thing, Retina has always meant doubling the resolution in each axis in the past. I doubt Apple would call Retina something that's not double the previous res, no matter factors like your viewing distance and such. 4K would offer the real estate of a 1080p screen with HiDPI, which is very low for a 27" monitor. It would represent a downgrade in real estate from my 7-year old 24" monitor, which IMO is unacceptable.

Meandmunch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
Not sure why these were not refreshed at the same time the iMacs were. There should be no reason these, essentially gutless iMacs can't have the same thin profile the iMacs currently do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.