Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Does this mean Microsoft is giving up on making a phone themselves?

Microsoft is first and foremost a software company. The fact that they are putting software on iOS, the most viable and lucrative mobile platform is not unusual in the slightest, and shouldn't reflect at all on their own mobile ambitions.

Hell, I'd wager MSFT has all kinds of plans for mobile exclusives that they haven't made public yet. There is supposed to be some major restructure coming that is going to put mobile and desktop under the same roof. That is sure to result in some interesting software news.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
It has been updated for Intel. Although MacSoft had to totally rewrite the game to do it, so they charged $5 for the patch. Unfortunately they don't have the rights anymore so you can't buy it, but if you do some googling...

What a shame. You're right, there is a fully working Intel version that works just fine in 10.8.4. But since there are no laws that force anyone to sell a product that already exists and was once sold, even if it costs nothing to the seller, I guess you'll never see it for sale again (well, I can imagine M$ selling it on the iPad easier than on the Mac).

Heck, Microsoft bought Bungie and didn't even let them release the working versions they already had for Windows and the Mac at the time and didn't release them for two more YEARS for no reason other than to push their stupid XBox system. It's like Microsoft refusing to upgrade DirectX/3D for Windows7 in order to PUSH Windows8, even though MOST Windows7 users don't like the Windows8 interface and would rather keep Windows7 (and XP versus Vista before that).

Personally, I wish they'd leave gaming out of these OS war type things. I realize a company shouldn't have to support an older operating system forever, but ignoring what the public wants (whether it be Apple pushing this new Mac Pro design on people that need expansion ports or Microsoft trying to cram Vista down people's throats in the past and to some extent Windows8 now), it's just petty crap that makes me hate the companies involved even more. But I guess they don't care if you hate them so long as you keep buying their crap (seeing as Linux doesn't post any kind of threat to either company's operating systems...well maybe Android does, but until Google goes desktop or console, it's kind of moot for gaming, IMO).

Muk4r0

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2012
Microdon't !!!

Wait, what ... Hold on to that thought dreamer

Microsoft or Freemiumsoft ... ? read the article again ... it seems more like they are giving away the dirty job of freemium-nized their AAA core titles to a mercenary developer that will port it to iOS.

(Bad timing to get hands dirty when the tendency now is to welcome console and pc gaming experience to the mobile platform landscape ... KOTOR, Xcom ? )

Too bad, a wasted opportunity by Microsoft to make a statement !

http://www.freemium.org/freemium/xbox-360-live/

" • Microsoft wants to use the "good experiences" other gaming platforms had with freemium games, such as iOS, where most of the top grossing games use freemium model, and if it proves successful as expected, it can change the console gaming completely."

So, i guess by now you have figured the dangers of supporting this move by Microsoft ... doomsday is coming baby ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.