Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iDominic

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2013
Garden City, MI
So, in January 2012 I bought the crappiest basic phone ever imaginable. Originally, my contract was up September of this year, so I thought I would wait till then to get the 5S. But then, Verizon changed all the upgrade dates signed after January 1st 2012 to be met up with their two year contracts, meaning I wouldn't be eligible for an upgrade till January.

I thought about just paying my ETF ($175) and buying the iPhone 4S. But with all the rumors about the new iPhone(s) coming out in just a few months, I'm starting to think I should wait. But If I wait too long then there would be no point in paying my ETF. Should I just wait it out or go with the 4S?

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
I don't understand why people would rather buy an older phone than the newest phone. A little bit of money?

The 5 is basically outdated now. Why spend money on a 4s just to sell it for the 5s? Get the 5. Enjoy the flagship experience for 3 months. Sell it for the 5s.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
I wouldn't even bother with the 5, let alone the 4S. It's pretty much guaranteed that there will be a new iPhone sometime this fall. I got my 5 in January. It's actually a pretty good time to upgrade because they've worked out all the release kinks, and you get a few months of flagship status. I wouldn't worry about not having an upgrade in time for the release.

3rd Rock

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Over here
I don't understand why people would rather buy an older phone than the newest phone. A little bit of money?

The 5 is basically outdated now. Why spend money on a 4s just to sell it for the 5s? Get the 5. Enjoy the flagship experience for 3 months. Sell it for the 5s.

I wouldn't even bother with the 5, let alone the 4S. It's pretty much guaranteed that there will be a new iPhone sometime this fall. I got my 5 in January. It's actually a pretty good time to upgrade because they've worked out all the release kinks, and you get a few months of flagship status. I wouldn't worry about not having an upgrade in time for the release.

Who are you people ? Flag ship ?...Flag ship status ?..Outdated already ?

Its a phone for goodness sakes. How old are you youngsters ? There is no status with any phone, but what's inside the kid like brains of some. Wake up. Its just another phone to be used for a purpose, not to wave it around, and brag about it. :p

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY

Its a phone for goodness sakes. How old are you youngsters ? There is no status with any phone, but what's inside the kid like brains of some. Wake up. Its just another phone to be used for a purpose, not to wave it around, and brag about it. :p
I agree, I was pretty confused at the need for your phone to have a "flagship status."

Oh no, your phone isn't the very latest and most expensive! Hahaha peasant, go back to your lords fief and be poor elsewhere, we don't want to see your marginally older and less powerful phone, ha!

Seriously, it's a phone.

Brdl04

Suspended
Jan 22, 2011
the D
Hey,

We live with our parents, and we cant afford cars or homes yet. So iPhones are what set us apart from others.

:cool::confused:

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
Hey,

We live with our parents, and we cant afford cars or homes yet. So iPhones are what set us apart from others.

:cool::confused:

Well that's good to know that it's iPhones that set you apart from others, and not things like personality, character, looks and/or style. I was worried I wouldn't be able to tell you apart from others your age. Can you send us a picture of your phone, so we can tell you apart from everyone else, and we know who you are?

Heck, if you really want to set yourself apart from others, DON'T own an iPhone. That would actually make you different...

:p:rolleyes:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

This is an website dedicated to Apple products and you are surprised the members here are enthusiast looking for the latest and greatest?

Some people are really into this stuff. May I ask why you are in the iPhone section of an Apple rumors forum if its just a phone? Because most people I know that actually think its just another phone don't know this site even exist.

Brdl04

Suspended
Jan 22, 2011
the D
Well that's good to know that it's iPhones that set you apart from others, and not things like personality, character, looks and/or style. I was worried I wouldn't be able to tell you apart from others your age. Can you send us a picture of your phone, so we can tell you apart from everyone else, and we know who you are?

Heck, if you really want to set yourself apart from others, DON'T own an iPhone. That would actually make you different...

:p:rolleyes:

Sadly im too old to run with that crowd any more, but I teach at a local high school, and this mentality exists and its scary.

but then again,

Reebok Pumps were the must have when I was in JR High.

----------

This is an website dedicated to Apple products and you are surprised the members here are enthusiast looking for the latest and greatest?

Some people are really into this stuff. May I ask why you are in the iPhone section of an Apple rumors forum if its just a phone? Because most people I know that actually think its just another phone don't know this site even exist.

This post sounds like someone who doesn't have flagship status yet.

Banned.

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
Sadly im too old to run with that crowd any more, but I teach at a local high school, and this mentality exists and its scary.

but then again,

Touche! I remember it being Reebok Pumps or Air Jordans, and Z Cavaricci pants. ;)

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

but then again,

----------

This post sounds like someone who doesn't have flagship status yet.

Banned.

I could careless about what version of phone I have (currently 4S). However I understand the mentality of placing importance on material objects especially when it comes to a younger generation where people are judged by what they have. Even older generations do just bigger things. The landscaping company I use makes my house look nice for other people to look at, I don't really care.

I'm not sure if your post was sarcastic but my parents would never buy me the pumps. Kids that had them were very popular lol!

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
Guys, when I said "enjoy the flagship experience", I meant enjoy the newest iPhone. Nothing social was implied.

I know it's standard for people to freak out about everything on this site, but what I'm saying is:

Buy the 5. It's the best iPhone. Love it until the 5s. The 4s is almost 2 years old, has a 3.5 inch screen, etc. When I say the 5 is outdated, it's because it is; phone tech moves fast in 10 months.

I don't care about the social status of owning an iPhone. I'm 29 years old, and I don't care about what's cool or not :p

iDominic

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2013
Garden City, MI

Exactly. They're trying to make it sound like the 4S is for poor people, and completely useless. As long as it can get the job done, I don't see why I would need the newest phone.

Brdl04

Suspended
Jan 22, 2011
the D
Exactly. They're trying to make it sound like the 4S is for poor people, and completely useless. As long as it can get the job done, I don't see why I would need the newest phone.

The iPhone 3G are like $40 without a contract and it gets the job done if you make calls, check email, and do light browsing.

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan

then why even get the 5s? This thread is now worthless because you can't decide what you want.

iDominic

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2013
Garden City, MI
then why even get the 5s? This thread is now worthless because you can't decide what you want.

If the 5S turns out to have awesome features, then I'll look into it. I don't necessarily care about having the newest phone, once again, it's about getting the job done. And The reason why "I can't decide what I want" is because people like you always make you feel less than them if you don't have the newest thing.

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
If the 5S turns out to have awesome features, then I'll look into it. I don't necessarily care about having the newest phone, once again, it's about getting the job done. And The reason why "I can't decide what I want" is because people like you always make you feel less than them if you don't have the newest thing.

I want you to have the newest thing because its the best experience you can have. whatever alternate motives you infer from that are due to your own insecurities.

iDominic

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2013
Garden City, MI
I want you to have the newest thing because its the best experience you can have. whatever alternate motives you infer from that are due to your own insecurities.

While that may be true, some things that you said such as "I don't understand why people would rather buy an older phone than the newest phone. A little bit of money?" and "flagship status" and whatnot made it sound like the 4S is just completely old and outdated and useless, and that anyone just has an extra $100 lying around somewhere. I'm not saying that I'm poor, I'm just saying I'm not going to spend $375 on a phone, atm. And I wouldn't call them insecurities? Over a phone, no.

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
While that may be true, some things that you said such as "I don't understand why people would rather buy an older phone than the newest phone. A little bit of money?" and "flagship status" and whatnot made it sound like the 4S is just completely old and outdated and useless, and that anyone just has an extra $100 lying around somewhere. I'm not saying that I'm poor, I'm just saying I'm not going to spend $375 on a phone, atm. And I wouldn't call them insecurities? Over a phone, no.

first of all, you started a thread about waiting for the 5s then said you're not sure why anyone needs the latest and greatest if it still functions fine as a phone when I suggested you just get the 5. You seem willing to wait for the 5s, why spend money on a 4s (which isn't cheap) when you can wait?

My suggestion is to get the 5 if you can. if not, the 4s is still really expensive and there are much better android phones for that cost. That's preference of course, but like I said you don't seem to know what to do. that's fine. there's a lot of phones out there.

never meant to belittle anyone. I just find it a little odd that someone's going to spend a lot of money off contract for an old phone just to sell it in 4 months. you'd get a much better return on the 5 when the 5s comes out.

iDominic

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2013
Garden City, MI
first of all, you started a thread about waiting for the 5s then said you're not sure why anyone needs the latest and greatest if it still functions fine as a phone when I suggested you just get the 5. You seem willing to wait for the 5s, why spend money on a 4s (which isn't cheap) when you can wait?

My suggestion is to get the 5 if you can. if not, the 4s is still really expensive and there are much better android phones for that cost. That's preference of course, but like I said you don't seem to know what to do. that's fine. there's a lot of phones out there.

never meant to belittle anyone. I just find it a little odd that someone's going to spend a lot of money off contract for an old phone just to sell it in 4 months. you'd get a much better return on the 5 when the 5s comes out.

alright thanks, sorry I got so defensive. I'm going to the Verizon Store Friday to see exacty how much my ETF is, considering its been about 17 months it should be decently low, and I might be able to get a 5.

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
alright thanks, sorry I got so defensive. I'm going to the Verizon Store Friday to see exacty how much my ETF is, considering its been about 17 months it should be decently low, and I might be able to get a 5.

good luck. the 5 is a pretty big upgrade from the 4s IMO :)

Nolander07

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
I would go for the 5 simply because apple will support it with software, etc. for about a year longer than the 4s, therefore it will last you longer.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Should I just wait it out or go with the 4S?
As always with these questions, determine your priorities and you'll have your answer. Others can't tell you what you should or shouldn't do. Which is more important: getting a device now or getting the 5s?

I thought about just paying my ETF ($175) and buying the iPhone 4S.
ETF isn't relevant unless you're switching carriers. If you want to upgrade early you pay full price. Paying the ETF only applies when you cancel service early.

The 5 is basically outdated now.
Preference/need/budget -- all subjective matters. Any time you assume that yours are universal you won't understand no matter what the topic. Outdated depends on usage.

Last edited:

iDominic

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2013
Garden City, MI
As always with these questions, determine your priorities and you'll have your answer. Others can't tell you what you should or shouldn't do. Which is more important: getting a device now or getting the 5s?

ETF isn't relevant unless you're switching carriers. If you want to upgrade early you pay full price. Paying the ETF only applies when you cancel service early.

Preference/need/budget -- all subjective matters. Any time you assume that yours are universal you won't understand no matter what the topic. Outdated depends on usage.

I asked the Verizon rep if I could pay my ETF instead of u[grading at full price and they said it was fine. ;p. It would be like $400 cheaper for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.