Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zac10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
okey so this is the 2nd day i got my macbook air and today i installed the adobe cs6 and while scrolling down editing pictures the screens started flickering.
is there anything wrong with my settings or i just a bad air?

thanks

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
okey so this is the 2nd day i got my macbook air and today i installed the adobe cs6 and while scrolling down editing pictures the screens started flickering.

thanks

Adobe CS6 uses a lot of ram and processor power. I don't think the macbook air is a good choice for running that program smoothly. It will run it just won't run smoothly.

Zac10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
Adobe CS6 uses a lot of ram and processor power. I don't think the macbook air is a good choice for running that program smoothly. It will run it just won't run smoothly.

yeah but part of the reason i decided on air was that it will work fine with photoshop and other editing softwares.
it is pretty disappointing.

luisito

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2012
yeah but part of the reason i decided on air was that it will work fine with photoshop and other editing softwares.
it is pretty disappointing.

A "CS", Creative Suite will always demand much more power than an individual editing software; it is not the same thing to render an image in photoshop and render a video on CS6 and due to the staggering amount of extra tools, you definitely picked the wrong machine.

Still got time to return it and get the rMBP, make sure is the 15in; if you get the 13in rMBP will probably get worse than the MBA, since you are using a graphics intensive program which has a retina display on top of that without a graphics card powering them.

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
A "CS", Creative Suite will always demand much more power than an individual editing software; it is not the same thing to render an image in photoshop and render a video on CS6 and due to the staggering amount of extra tools, you definitely picked the wrong machine.

Still got time to return it and get the rMBP, make sure is the 15in; if you get the 13in rMBP will probably get worse than the MBA, since you are using a graphics intensive program which has a retina display on top of that without a graphics card powering them.

I have a 13 inch rMBP and it runs cs6 fine.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL

The video below, Lisa demonstrates Photoshop running on a i7 MBA just fine. I believe one of the comments below, someone was asking if DW and PS would run fine and she states that the base model might even suffice.

I guess you can take what she says with a grain of salt.

http://youtu.be/bQvJUivX-3s?t=14m13s

Zac10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
my 3 years old sony vaio i3 with 4gb ram was fine. it wasnt as fast as air is but atleast no screen flickring.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
my 3 years old sony vaio i3 with 4gb ram was fine. it wasnt as fast as air is but atleast no screen flickring.

So, are you returning or exchanging?

----------

To be fair, when in a thread, it seems that the boxes that separate each post flicker when scrolling. If that makes any sense.:rolleyes:

Zac10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
so theres nothing wrong with my air?

----------

So, are you returning or exchanging?

----------

To be fair, when in a thread, it seems that the boxes that separate each post flicker when scrolling. If that makes any sense.:rolleyes:
based on what you are saying i should exchange it with another one.
lets hope bestbuy has another one in stock soon.

i dnt know if i should replace it with macbook pro or just stay with air

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL

Not sure what to tell you.. You mentioned in OP that its only your 2nd day with it, I say give it another day, test it out with other software..

Curious, have you checked which display you're using, whether its LG or Samsung?

Zac10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
Not sure what to tell you.. You mentioned in OP that its only your 2nd day with it, I say give it another day, test it out with other software..

Curious, have you checked which display you're using, whether its LG or Samsung?

how do you find out? this is my first apple laptop.
i doubt it would be samsung after all these court trials between the companies.

i also wanted to know how to find ram usage for different softwares.

----------

i am a premier silver member and i have 60 days to try it on :D

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL

----------

based on what you are saying i should exchange it with another one.
lets hope bestbuy has another one in stock soon.

i dnt know if i should replace it with macbook pro or just stay with air

In ref to my MBA, I'm not sure if its serious, though..

I wish MBA was perfect, but its not. It so desires a Retina but man, I love the slim factor. This thing is light and just perfect when it comes to traveling. I've considered exchanging but I just don't know if I wanna add the extra weight (which isn't much) with a 13" rMBP.

If I do stick with the MBA, I won't keep it for long; I plan on getting the updated rMBP when they're announced--which contradicts my previous statement, lol.. but whatever.

but again, my primary machine is a Mac mini so, MBA is fine for my needs--for now.

----------

If you don't have a primary machine, I think you're better off going rMBP.

Zac10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
how long does ur battery last?

In ref to my MBA, I'm not sure if its serious, though..

I wish MBA was perfect, but its not. It so desires a Retina but man, I love the slim factor. This thing is light and just perfect when it comes to traveling. I've considered exchanging but I just don't know if I wanna add the extra weight (which isn't much) with a 13" rMBP.

If I do stick with the MBA, I won't keep it for long; I plan on getting the updated rMBP when they're announced--which contradicts my previous statement, lol.. but whatever.

but again, my primary machine is a Mac mini so, MBA is fine for my needs--for now.

----------

If you don't have a primary machine, I think you're better off going rMBP.

my battery right now is at 91% and is showing only 5 hours.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
I can't complain about my battery. My MBA has been on since Saturday afternoon and I'm at 35% with 4:46 remaining. :cool: not too shabby.

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
If you are going to run graphic intense software and want the air to do it flawlessly, then you need the best processor and most ram. If the screen is flickering when not using adobe then something is wrong with the unit. I did notice that when scrolling on macbook air the screen does blur a little and it might be considered flickering by some people.

butch10x

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2010
I've been dealing with the same issues on my mba 13" 8gb 512 new one too. I talked to a Apple rep and she concluded that since everything ran perfect on my machine other than Photoshop, it's a software issue with Adobe. I have yet to resolve this issue.

If Adobe doesn't have a answer in two days, my machine is going back since I really bought it for photo use. Even if they do figure out something, I'm most likely to going to return and wait for the new Pros. I played with both the 13 and 15 inch versions today and now my big decision is which one to get as far as size. Retina is a drug!

Here are two threads in addition to this one if you want to add to them.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5449199#5449199

https://discussions.apple.com/message/22274219#22274219

Hope this helps.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
^^ In the Apple Forums, 4th post, the poster says that when upgrading to Maverick, the problem went away. Could possibly software.

butch10x

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2010
^^ In the Apple Forums, 4th post, the poster says that when upgrading to Maverick, the problem went away. Could possibly software.

I read that too, but I dont have access to Mavericks beta and I only have 2 days on my 14 day "trial" to decide to keep this machine.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
I read that too, but I dont have access to Mavericks beta and I only have 2 days on my 14 day "trial" to decide to keep this machine.

If 2 days all you have and you want peace of mind, return it. You don't want to keep something without knowing what could be causing the flickering.

----------

You can also contact that poster and see if you both share the same issue. Maybe he/she can be of some sort help.

butch10x

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2010
If 2 days all you have and you want peace of mind, return it. You don't want to keep something without knowing what could be causing the flickering.

I agree. I was really hopeful that this MBA would be a decent photo machine. For Lightroom, it does run really good. Photoshop not running isn't gonna cut it. I should have waited for the MBP refresh anyway.

Last edited:

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
I agree. I was really hopeful that this MBA would be a decent photo machine. For Lightroom, it does run really good. Photoshop not running isn't gonna cut it. I should have waited for the MBP refresh anyway.

You could return the MBA and get a new one but on a new transaction so you can get another 15 days. The retailer should honor that.

kave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2012
Sweden
Using a 2013 or 2012 MacBook Air is just fine with CS6, the performance is just fine. They are not optimized at all, except some filters in Photoshop, for using multiple threads, so barely no advantage with a MacBook pro.
There is something wrong with the graphics drivers in the 2013 models however.
When scrolling Instagram using Safari it is very jerky.
Using Chrome or Firefox is just fine.

plasticsman

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2012

thanks

Hi,

I experienced this problem on Photoshop CC as well. I just installed it after I saw your thread and when using brushes, etc it was having some issues. Then I got a notification that an update was available and I installed it. Seems to have fixed the problem. Can you try it?

I have the 13 inch 2013 as well. i5/8 gigs mem

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
Hi,

I experienced this problem on Photoshop CC as well. I just installed it after I saw your thread and when using brushes, etc it was having some issues. Then I got a notification that an update was available and I installed it. Seems to have fixed the problem. Can you try it?

I have the 13 inch 2013 as well. i5/8 gigs mem

Great to hear! Was the update from apple or adobe?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.