Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
It's not a terrible phone. I bought one off eBay for about $150 as a backup phone and device to mess with Android. Turn off Facebook Home and you have a very capable midrange phone. Display is beautiful, battery is good, and I like that the body is really low key. The only part that sucks is the camera and the fact that it'll probably never see another Android update ever again. But without Home on, it is practically a stock Android experience.

This.

But how can they make a Facebook phone with a mediocre camera? In what universe does that make sense?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I'm thinking that if they can reduce the price by $98 and still make money why not go for $11 more? Offer the phone for free with a $10 bill rubber banded to it. Heck after going down $98 whats another $11? There will be a line out the door.

The point is that even with the $10 bills attached, they'd make money because you can't have your 99 cent phone until you sign the $1,500 contract.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
The ROKR....

was a failed experiment, but not a totally bad one. I had one and liked it. But from day one I was bothered with 100 song limit. Maybe if Apple designed alone the ROKR, it would had be better....

:):apple:

Gigaman

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2011
So Facebook wants yet another stab at a phone? Looks like "a similar experience" was used very loosely here.

smyross

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2013
My third handset is HTC

If i compare my experience along with different apps , i can say that each applications are unique according to their cost of handset. Now windows phone is giving better experience to me on social-media. Thanks

kdarling

macrumors P6
In the end, the HTC First failed for one reason: cellphone users didn't want the all the time Facebook experience of this phone.

This. The idea was good, but they failed to understand that people also wanted to be able to use their favorite widgets and easily access their other apps.

I still maintain that there's an untapped market for a "grandparents" phone (and tablet) that is all about socializing with their kids. Something pre-setup with things like Facebook, Skype, Flickr, Flipboard, etc... geared specifically to let them communicate and share as easily as possible.

was a failed experiment, but not a totally bad one. I had one and liked it. But from day one I was bothered with 100 song limit. Maybe if Apple designed alone the ROKR, it would had be better....

It was Apple who forced the 100 song limit on the ROKR, virtually guaranteeing its failure.

They were afraid of it cannibalizing their iPod sales.

(They were right, since the iPhone has done the same thing.)

Macist

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2009
What sort of idiot thought anyone would want a 'Facebook phone'?

Even people that use hours of Facebook don't actually like Facebook. No one likes Facebook. People that don't use it think it's idiotic, those than do think it's crack they should be weaning themselves off.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
In my opinion Apple should release an iTunes app for Windows and Android phones.

There are plenty of people out there who don't want an iPhone but want to be able to download their songs straight from iTunes to their phone. iTunes is one of the biggest digital media companies around, if not the biggest. They blow Google play out of the water and if the rumours about Apple tying up exclusive content deals are true then more people will want access to iTunes. If Apple did this I think they would pretty much put to bed any of competition they have or at least make their position insurmountable.

Question: What would be the advantage to Apple of doing this?

The iTunes music/video/books store doesn't make lots of money. iPhone does. Apple probably makes more money selling iPods than selling music.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Why don't Americans understand that a 'free' phone is paid for by the monthly contract they signed?

In the rest of the world it's easy to get phones unbundled from contracts - and also, contracts are available with different monthly costs so you can choose the balance of paying up front vs more per month.

*sigh*

Plenty of us understand this.

We also understand that we pay more for a better product. How's the LTE rollout going in Europe? Or other countries in the world? How much does an iPhone cost off-contract in the rest of the world?

People like to complain - both here in the US and everywhere else. The same people would complain if we had Europe's cell model - except the complaints would be about the lack of LTE and the speed of the data.

At the end of the day, whatever you want to think about the big four (AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint) they take the revenue and put it into making a better network.

Oh not to mention the sheer size of the US - AT&T and Verizon cover the entire country, VZW covers the entire country with LTE. That costs money.

This would be the same reason why toll roads are so much better kept than regular highways.

jfx94

macrumors regular
May 22, 2013
where ever I am at.
Looking back I wonder why Apple even went with the ROKR, since the iPhone was already in development. I guess in the end it solidified their desire to control the whole experience.

Probably better for us.

asthamapheo

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2013
i hope we dont see another trash facebook phone, a high end phone of these days can provide us enough facebook. why dont they just concentrate on their buggy, outdated and featureless mobile app.

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
Question: What would be the advantage to Apple of doing this?

The iTunes music/video/books store doesn't make lots of money. iPhone does. Apple probably makes more money selling iPods than selling music.
There isa difference between being an iTunes user and an iPhone user. It's unlikely that iTunes is the reason why people chose an iPhone over another phone, however a lot of people would still like to prefer to use iTunes instead other versions or having to download to a desktop beforehand.

iTunes does make Apple money, it makes them a hell of a lot of money, that alongside the iPod saved Apple.

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand

We also understand that we pay more for a better product. How's the LTE rollout going in Europe? Or other countries in the world? How much does an iPhone cost off-contract in the rest of the world?

People like to complain - both here in the US and everywhere else. The same people would complain if we had Europe's cell model - except the complaints would be about the lack of LTE and the speed of the data.

At the end of the day, whatever you want to think about the big four (AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint) they take the revenue and put it into making a better network.

Oh not to mention the sheer size of the US - AT&T and Verizon cover the entire country, VZW covers the entire country with LTE. That costs money.

This would be the same reason why toll roads are so much better kept than regular highways.

I'd sooner have consistent 3G coverage and a cautious roll out of LTE than having a hodge-podge patch work that exists in the USA. In the country I'm in the two major carriers have spent most of their time improving their 3G coverage to give a consistent experience with the largest now deploying LTE on 1800Mhz with LTE 700mhz not for another 2 years at the earliest. The slow deployment btw of LTE has less to do with 'lack of money' and more to do with practicalities such as freeing up spectrum by closing of analogue television, the auction process, dealing with the locals when towers are upgraded etc.

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
it's a nexus almost... of a year or two ago

That's a steal for 99 cents, because you can turn Facebook home off in the settings. Once done, you have stock android experience ala a nexus phone, and the specs on the device were not awful. The camera at 5mp not so hot, and it's only a dual core processor.... but few things take advantage of the quad core processors anyway and they tend to be a drain on battery. So if you can live with a low end camera, for a buck.... worth it.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia

I have to say, when I went travelling through the US, my AT&T coverage was amazing. I had reception literally everywhere. I went off the beaten track to go surfing in some pretty obscure places too! Leaving out that I was going to use the AT&T prepaid SIM in an iPhone was one of the best moves I made when I was there (getting data working required a bit of fiddling around with APN settings, but I got it all working pretty easily). I don't think the rep who sold me the SIM would have cared though, he was a really nice guy.

On a different note, Australia's getting there with our LTE rollout- at least in Sydney. Telstra's coverage is pretty good Sydney-wide, Optus is great around the CBD and surrounding suburbs, Vodafone.. well, they're Vodafone, but apparently they're giving an LTE network a go too. Elsewhere though, not so much.

snipper

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2004

Interesting point of view. In the Netherlands, we don't have toll roads, however, the roads (and mcuh more) are payed for by taxes on cars and fuel. A liter of regular costs about € 1,75. So that's about $ 2,28 per liter or $ 8,61 per gallon.

The difference with smart phones is, that you have a choice: You can buy them with of without a plan. If you are a heavy user, you might find a plan that is cheaper on the long run, but so far I have always been better off buying phone and plan separately.

I have my doubts about your view on how telco's invest though. GSM reception in major cities in the US are often problematic, while in Holland coverage is almost perfect. I can't remember being without signal. Also, I've been told compatibility between providers is a problem in the US. Europe has one system, afaik.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Interesting point of view. In the Netherlands, we don't have toll roads, however, the roads (and mcuh more) are payed for by taxes on cars and fuel. A liter of regular costs about € 1,75. So that's about $ 2,28 per liter or $ 8,61 per gallon.

The difference with smart phones is, that you have a choice: You can buy them with of without a plan. If you are a heavy user, you might find a plan that is cheaper on the long run, but so far I have always been better off buying phone and plan separately.

I have my doubts about your view on how telco's invest though. GSM reception in major cities in the US are often problematic, while in Holland coverage is almost perfect. I can't remember being without signal. Also, I've been told compatibility between providers is a problem in the US. Europe has one system, afaik.

The GSM vs. CDMA thing is a problem to some I suppose - if you tend to switch carriers.

I don't think I've ever had a problem with reception in ANY major city I've been in. I'm on AT&T. I know people want to believe they are evil, but the reality is, cell phones have become as necessary as just about anything else in our daily lives. And the US is a big place - to cover 99% of it like they do costs money. I also much prefer LTE to 3G....I know some say they don't care, but that's generally because they haven't used it for an extended period of time.

For example, I pay roughly $100 for electricity in my house per month - that runs my AC, heater all the lights etc. My phone bill is $85/month - I have an HTC One with unlimited text and data and shared minutes, and an iPad mini with 3 GB. I use both almost all day, every day.

You want to know the real travesty? I pay $140/month for cable and internet....a bulk of that is cable. And the only things I watch are Sports and a few TV Shows I could get through Hulu or the internet for $8/month.

Anyways - I don't have a problem with the cost of my bill per month. My only gripe is that we now have to wait the full 24 months to upgrade. I wish upgrades happened a little sooner. I was fine with the old way. Given I have an iPad line and an iPhone line, I get two upgrades to use and they generally give me an upgrade every year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.