Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Griffster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2013
Tulsa, OK
I'm new to the Mac world. I've been using Windows with my last two laptops and two PCs. Got tired of crashes, updates, blah, blah. Only other OS choices are Mac and Linux. Thought I'd give Mac a ride. The wife loves her ipad and iphone and I do like the build quality of Apple stuff.
Anyway, I ordered two 2013 Macbook Airs. Went with 1.3 GHz Duel-Core i5, 8GB Ram, 256GB SSD and had Pages installed. I work for a large company and went thru the EPP and saved a couple hundred bucks. The Macbooks are coming from Shanghai and should be at my door today or tomorrow. The wife and I are anxious to get them and looking forward to learning and using OS X Mountain Lion. I also got the latest Airport Extreme router with 802.11ac, a Motorola SB6121 DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem and a Belkin High Performance Cat6 Patch Cable. Decided to do a total upgrade as everything I had was several years old.
That all being said - I read yesterday that mid June 2013 Macbook Airs are having wifi connect problems. WTF! Does anyone know if it is all the MBAs made till now or just a certain batch? I did read that Apple will replace them "if" there is a problem. Does it look like I've done some good supportive upgrades to my system? Still considering about getting the AppleCare. I know a lot of you all here suggest it. It is a lot of money since I have two MBAs. I didn't get it for the Airport Extreme. Didn't figure much could go wrong with it.
I enjoy this forum and would appreciate any info or feedback.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
I haven't experienced any issues with WiFi except at home where my router is old and stinks. Whenever I wake the comp, I need to reconnect; but again, this only happens at home cause of my router.

JMountainDew

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2012
No real wifi issues here, either. A bit slower on my older Linksys router at home, but that's it. Apple is aware of the issue that some are experiencing. I would wait to worry only after your new mba's arrive and if you have any problems.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I think you'll probably have the best WiFi experience of anyone, seeing as the Airport router you purchased is specifically designed for the type of WiFi cards that come with the MacBook Air.

You should be fine. And if you're not, Apple *will* exchange them for you.

luisito

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2012
My wifi works flawlessly, don't be overwhelmed about it. Your MBAs with the Airport Extreme will make your wifi go nuts, you will get a BIG speed bump.

I've overheard (not sure if true), that Apple is recalling MBA with wifi issues, so in the remote and far beyond case you do, Apple will give you a new box. On top of that, you got 14 days of grace for a full refund.

Honestly, I think that people that are experiencing problems are the ones with pretty old routers, so the problem may be compatibility and a software patch should do it, as everybody is pointing about.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I have a very similar setup (Motorola SB6141 w/ Airport Extreme) and having no WiFi issues with mine. I have also tested it with a Sprint U770/Cradlepoint MBR95 combination and the WiFi worked just fine with that as well.

JupiterTwo

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2003
GB
I just got my i5/8/256 11" today, and I've had no issues with WiFi.
It's been connected to my work AP (Ruckus), a Huawei Mifi and now my new 802.11ac Time Machine.

All great, all snappy ;)

So I wouldn't worry, instead look forward to it all arriving. Chances are you might see the Airport Extreme before the laptops, so it gives you a chance to get that bedded in first.

teffers

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2013
United Kingdom
Another new MBA 2013 user here.

No Wifi issues whatsoever - been solid in the last week or so.

Nice setup you've purchased [insert jealousy emoticon] :D

Griffster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2013
Tulsa, OK
Thanks folks for the replys. It's always refreshing to hear positive feedback.
I did get one of the Macs today and the other will be hear tomorrow. Excited to play with them. Glad to get away from Windows also. Already have the Airport set up. Waiting to get the modem so I can connect them together with the new cat6 cable. Don't know if it's all overkill but I figure I can grow into it figuring how fast this tech world changes daily.

JMountainDew

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2012
Thanks folks for the replys. It's always refreshing to hear positive feedback.
I did get one of the Macs today and the other will be hear tomorrow. Excited to play with them. Glad to get away from Windows also. Already have the Airport set up. Waiting to get the modem so I can connect them together with the new cat6 cable. Don't know if it's all overkill but I figure I can grow into it figuring how fast this tech world changes daily.

Let us know how well Airport works for you. It may be all I need as an excuse to get one, too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.