Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Koolaid74

macrumors member
May 13, 2011
same old thing! apple should bring up something new now! it's ridiculous to see a newly designed iOS on a "new" device using the same old design and specs.

apple should change the iphone's design or at least they should offer more colors in the iphone.

I agree that it would be nice for them to change designs every year. I just know that nothing they have done in the past has indicated that they will break out of the current iPhone/S product cycle. Not only would it create additional pressure every year going forward(to an already high expectation demanded of them every year, as is) but any radical design change probably would not make sense business-wise.

I fell for the hype leading up to the 4S release wishing for a different design with a larger display only to be deeply disappointed. I still ended up getting the 4S, but now I know not to expect anything out of the ordinary in terms of their iPhone/S product cycle.

Specs are always bumped for every iteration of any new phone release. It's one of the most underrated things and, imo, emphasizing heavily on only the exterior design perpetuates what the tech world thinks about iOS users -- they will buy anything made by Apple purely based on their "pretty" designs.

Koolaid74

macrumors member
May 13, 2011
Instead of focusing on the exterior, I really wish that they would incorporate SWYPE-like feature to the iOS along with the ability to change default apps. In my stint with Android/Jelly Bean, those are the two things I enjoyed the most.(and I will miss them sorely when I switch back to iOS) I had been asking for an iOS UI refresh for the past few years. Imo, iOS7's update is not only too late(although welcomed), but a simple refresh of the look of the OS is not sufficient enough. They are merely updating to catch up to what Android/WebOS has been doing right aesthetically, all the while not improving the core of iOS.

I get that they don't want to fix what's not broken especially given that it is their cash cow. But at some point, Apple has to start taking risks because there are plenty of iOS users who, like me, switched to Android out of iOS-fatigue. Most of the people I know who have made the switch to Android will not be switching back to iOS as I am. I hope Apple realizes that they can't just rest on their laurels because Galaxy S/HTC One have proven that Android hardware is now legitimately challenging Apple on the hardware side in design and Android offers enough to convert people away from iOS.

insider-man

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011
A few things:

The belts in Foxconn are not green and neither do the workers wear all blue jackets.

Also good luck to anyone in getting a camera past the metal detectors and searches entering the production floors . . .

edseds

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2013
I adjusted the perspective of the original image to front view (see attachment). It seems that something is going on with the Home button.

Attachments

• 2iphones.jpg
    2iphones.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 78

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
A Phone shall not be using 39% battery when you not using it during night! Same issue with my work-co's S4. i blame Android ;o)

If your phone is draining that much power at night you might want to just turn it in airplane mode. It's probably out of coverage and searching, or downloading/updating apps over wifi.

Even if I unplugged my phone and had music playing the background I'd drain my Note's battery about 3%.

djra8

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2013
OH SWEET JESUS, AN EXTRA LED!!! TAKE MY MONEY!!......BORING... wheres my bigger screen? apple was too busy ripping off androids UI to be innovative..

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
They're the same size (and why would just the width increase anyway, iPhones are now 16:9 ...)

Anyway, there does look like something different with the home button area. The left phone looks like it has a small slotted opening in the chin area[?] In another thread, someone had a great post about the button connector having several pins vs. the old 2 prong connector - suggesting that many pins would only be needed for some additional gesture detection. Maybe final assembly is a capacitive touch surface on the chip for home/fingerprint/swipe

In fact, someone early in this thread pointed out there almost seemed to be a lip, like the chin was slightly recessed (which I guess could indicate room for the aforementioned touch panel).

:cool:

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
p.s. on a side note (pun intended), I wish my Note II was cheap. It's the most expensive phone I've ever had . . . . much more expensive than my 32GB iPhone 3GS.

Oh, but it is cheap :D

Perhaps you should get that new Samsung Mega now? These phones are challenging the sizes of those bricks in the 80's!

I wonder if one day the fashion will be the opposite again, for smaller phones, I hope so. There is nothing catering for us users who want more power in a smaller, thinner device. For everything else I have an iPad mini, iPad and Laptop - never, not once, have I thought - I wish the screen I hold to my face on my phone was bigger than this!

----------

Even if I unplugged my phone and had music playing the background I'd drain my Note's battery about 3%.

Yes but the note is more comparable to the iPad mini! Its battery is almost as big!

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Oh, but it is cheap :D

Perhaps you should get that new Samsung Mega now? These phones are challenging the sizes of those bricks in the 80's!

I wonder if one day the fashion will be the opposite again, for smaller phones, I hope so. There is nothing catering for us users who want more power in a smaller, thinner device. For everything else I have an iPad mini, iPad and Laptop - never, not once, have I thought - I wish the screen I hold to my face on my phone was bigger than this!

----------

Yes but the note is more comparable to the iPad mini! Its battery is almost as big!

All plusses I say. Instead of me having to carry around an iPad Mini, laptop, chargers, cases, keyboard cover, fat ugly stylus, etc.

I just grad the Note II.

Sadly, I get more done on my Note II than I ever did on my iPhone, iPad 2, Macbook Pro, and iMac.

The only thing the Note II can't do for me is run Avid and Adobe CS apps. I am eagerly awaiting the multimedia dock that goes with the Note. Then I'll be able to drop it into a dock, and have everything on the phone up on a 24" display via HDMI, have a BT/USB keyboard and mouse, and be able to use my phone for even more.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
All plusses I say. Instead of me having to carry around an iPad Mini, laptop, chargers, cases, keyboard cover, fat ugly stylus, etc.

I just grad the Note II.

Sadly, I get more done on my Note II than I ever did on my iPhone, iPad 2, Macbook Pro, and iMac.

The only thing the Note II can't do for me is run Avid and Adobe CS apps. I am eagerly awaiting the multimedia dock that goes with the Note. Then I'll be able to drop it into a dock, and have everything on the phone up on a 24" display via HDMI, have a BT/USB keyboard and mouse, and be able to use my phone for even more.

Hey, its whatever works for each individual right? If we were all the same life would be boring - what you describe to me at the end (hooking phones up via HDMI etc) is utter hell to me, but it works for you and its something you want. Ive always hated the idea that one device can do it and all "look I can play movies on my symbian phone by clicking on this ugly file name and connecting it to my tv via this cable…" urgh I always hated that. But thats not to say everyone did obviously.

The Note 2 works for you, perhaps this Mega thing might work even better? Horses for courses isn't it, you pick the tool that works best for you. I've no idea why people spend so long claiming their tool is the best when you just use the one that works for you and get on with it.

I still don't want Apple to go the large screen route though as its not a design principle I believe in, and anyway, there are countless examples of large screen phones you can already chose to use so i'm not sure why they'd need to.

----------

I adjusted the perspective of the original image to front view (see attachment). It seems that something is going on with the Home button.

Yeah its called "camera glare".

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Hey, its whatever works for each individual right? If we were all the same life would be boring - what you describe to me at the end (hooking phones up via HDMI etc) is utter hell to me, but it works for you and its something you want. Ive always hated the idea that one device can do it and all "look I can play movies on my symbian phone by clicking on this ugly file name and connecting it to my tv via this cable…" urgh I always hated that. But thats not to say everyone did obviously.

The Note 2 works for you, perhaps this Mega thing might work even better? Horses for courses isn't it, you pick the tool that works best for you. I've no idea why people spend so long claiming their tool is the best when you just use the one that works for you and get on with it.

I still don't want Apple to go the large screen route though as its not a design principle I believe in, and anyway, there are countless examples of large screen phones you can already chose to use so i'm not sure why they'd need to.

^^^This 100%

This fussy complaint is getting sooooo old now..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.