Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

pvz2.jpg
EA has announced that Plants vs. Zombies 2 will be delayed until "later in the summer". The game was planned for a release on July 18th.

From the @PlantsvsZombies Twitter account:
Plants vs. Zombies 2, originally slated for a July 18th release, will now be released later in the summer. Stay tuned for more details.
The account later said the release was delayed because EA wanted to "make sure the game lives up to fans' expectations."

The game, officially titled Plants vs. Zombies 2: It's About Time, features the same lane defense gameplay that made the original a hit, but it includes time travel to all new locations.

The original Plants vs. Zombies game for both the iPhone and the iPad can be downloaded from the App Store for $0.99.

- Plants vs. Zombies [Direct Link]
- Plants vs. Zombies HD [Direct Link]

Article Link: Plants Vs. Zombies 2 Delayed Until 'Later In The Summer'

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
They found out there was a way to beat the game without using IAP.

Not looking forward to these stupid freemium game models.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Probably adding more in app purchases.

It should read more like this:

"The account later said the release was delayed because EA wanted to "make sure the game lives up to fans' expectations." They read the forums and saw how many of you expect huge amounts of IAP, so they're adding exactly what you expect."

Yup, sounds about right.

AgentElliot007

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2010
I'm not much of a gamer at all, but the few games I played were PvZ and Real Racing. Both series are now plagued by freemium gameplay. It's very disappointing. I hope this trend ends. I'd rather pay more and not have the whole setup be bogged down, but if these more independent developers keep cashing in to big players like EA, that day will likely never come.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Hopefully... they're backtracking. But since this is EA we're on about, this game will probably be both delayed and ruined.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I'm not much of a gamer at all, but the few games I played were PvZ and Real Racing. Both series are now plagued by freemium gameplay. It's very disappointing. I hope this trend ends. I'd rather pay more and not have the whole setup be bogged down, but if these more independent developers keep cashing in to big players like EA, that day will likely never come.

It will never come because it's a proven money-making business. For every one of you and me who simply won't even download it, there are 100 others who'll get sucked in and keep paying.

morespce54

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2004
Around the World
I heard they had problems with the servers...
You know that you need to be online and connected to EA 24/7 otherwise each time you open the game, you start from scratch...(or the game simply won't start)

joewillmott

macrumors regular
May 22, 2012
England
Too many people bitch about iAPs. Developers need to make money, and although some of you would rather pay an up-front fee, most people wouldn't. Everyone I know in the real world only downloads free apps. IAPs give us the chance to get people hooked, it's still their choice to buy them… they don't have too! If they do then great, they like the game enough to pay for it and support the developer. If they don't then fine, they don't have too, but we still get players.

Up-front fees are dying and I cannot see IAPs going away anytime soon so stop whinging.

Also I am really bloody looking forward to this game! PvZ is still my favourite iOS game many years on.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
First time EA's done that with a game.

They should do that with more games.

----------

i'm not much of a gamer at all, but the few games i played were pvz and real racing. Both series are now plagued by freemium gameplay. It's very disappointing. I hope this trend ends. I'd rather pay more and not have the whole setup be bogged down, but if these more independent developers keep cashing in to big players like ea, that day will likely never come.

+1,000,000,000

----------

Guaranteed the reason for this delay is to ensure this game coinciding with the iPhone 5S summer launch.

Except the iPhone isn't scheduled for a late Summer launch.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
I don't mind in-app purchases if it's meant to act as a trial version that lets you unlock the full game once you've played it enough to know you like it.

I've always found weird that some games offer a free "Lite" version but that you have to download a second separate app once you decide you want to buy the full game. It's better to offer the app for free right away, but let you only go through like 10-20% of the game before it asks you to pay, say $3, in order to keep playing. I have no problems paying for in-app purchases if I end up paying the same amount as for the original game initially (3 bucks) to play the full thing, and if it makes the process of trying before you buy simpler.

What I hate however is the "pay to win" model, and if developers make the game purposefully way too hard to beat unless you buy virtual currency with in-app purchases, to a point where you have to spend more than normally just so you can beat the game.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Guaranteed the reason for this delay is to ensure this game coinciding with the iPhone 5S summer launch.

It's a possibility, if the iPhone 5S is released a little earlier than expected.

----------

Too many people bitch about iAPs. Developers need to make money, and although some of you would rather pay an up-front fee, most people wouldn't. Everyone I know in the real world only downloads free apps. IAPs give us the chance to get people hooked, it's still their choice to buy them… they don't have too! If they do then great, they like the game enough to pay for it and support the developer. If they don't then fine, they don't have too, but we still get players.

Up-front fees are dying and I cannot see IAPs going away anytime soon so stop whinging.

Also I am really bloody looking forward to this game! PvZ is still my favourite iOS game many years on.

Well, at least give us the option to pay an up-front fee if we want to. This play, pay, play, pay, play pay... trend can suck, depending on how greedy a developer gets. I hope Apple makes it mandatory for developers to give people this option. Let us know up-front how much you really want from us and be fair about it.

----------

i don't mind in-app purchases if it's meant to act as a trial version that lets you unlock the full game once you've played it enough to know you like it.

I've always found weird that some games offer a free "lite" version but that you have to download a second separate app once you decide you want to buy the full game. It's better to offer the app for free right away, but let you only go through like 10-20% of the game before it asks you to pay, say $3, in order to keep playing. I have no problems paying for in-app purchases if i end up paying the same amount as for the original game initially (3 bucks) to play the full thing, and if it makes the process of trying before you buy simpler.

What i hate however is the "pay to win" model, and if developers make the game purposefully way too hard to beat unless you buy virtual currency with in-app purchases, to a point where you have to spend more than normally just so you can beat the game.

This.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Freemium sounds scary, but for it to work well the free part of the game actually has to be fun, entertaining and engaging.

Sure, IAP can be abused by unscrupulous (or incompetent) developers... but so can up-front purchases. At least with IAP the developer has to really deliver something compelling. Hopefully reviews will shake out most abuses pretty quick.

In the end people are going to have to pay for good games, one way or another, or there won't be many good games.

hkenneth

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2011
They are adding bean magazines so each time you have no ammo you need to buy new magazine sets for $0.99. You can also upgrade the capacity of your magazines for an extra $0.99. They will be offering you 10 sets of magazines for free for a limited time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.