Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
I am currently using Moxier Wallet FREE, yet it is being discontinued soon and I don't want to pay for 1password....anything similar that allows to easily find information and passwords with search feature etc that is freeware?

My main goal is to have certain website information stored somewhere and easily be able to locate that information. What freeware App can do that, that runs on PC and Mac? It doesn't need to be a proper encrypted password App!

Thank you.:)

Last edited:

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I know you said free, but I will offer a suggestion of something lower priced than 1Password. That being oneSafe. There are currently iOS and OS X versions and they are working on a Windows version.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
I know you said free, but I will offer a suggestion of something lower priced than 1Password. That being oneSafe. There are currently iOS and OS X versions and they are working on a Windows version.

And what happens if they go bust and close shop like Moxier Wallet are doing? What happens then to all my data? Do I then need to copy and paste everything into something else which can take days and is very tedious to do.

ramystyle

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2013
I'm using Moxier WAllet as well and it really sucks that I have to find another app .. Moxier Wallet was so simple and straight fwd.

I've been looking around for 3 days now and oneSafe seems nice because of their nice graphics however they don't support windows. I like to have my data synced between my iphone and my laptop. I contacted them and they said that a Win8 release will be out at the end of the year.

I'm also trying Keeper (they offer 30 days free trial). Easy to use, but no fancy icons, graphics etc. I tried importing from Moxier's file but it failed to import anything. They don't have templates for credit cards, passports etc... So it will take me forever to enter all my data one by one (I have over 120 items).

Msecure seems descent but quite expensive. Same with 1Password.

So I'm getting desperate here.. If you find something similar to Moxier Wallet, let me know!

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
I'm using Moxier WAllet as well and it really sucks that I have to find another app .. Moxier Wallet was so simple and straight fwd.

I've been looking around for 3 days now and oneSafe seems nice because of their nice graphics however they don't support windows. I like to have my data synced between my iphone and my laptop. I contacted them and they said that a Win8 release will be out at the end of the year.

I'm also trying Keeper (they offer 30 days free trial). Easy to use, but no fancy icons, graphics etc. I tried importing from Moxier's file but it failed to import anything. They don't have templates for credit cards, passports etc... So it will take me forever to enter all my data one by one (I have over 120 items).

Msecure seems descent but quite expensive. Same with 1Password.

So I'm getting desperate here.. If you find something similar to Moxier Wallet, let me know!

I have decided to re-enter everything into KeePass, which runs on my iMac and MS Windows.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
And what happens if they go bust and close shop like Moxier Wallet are doing? What happens then to all my data? Do I then need to copy and paste everything into something else which can take days and is very tedious to do.
If the company goes bust, the application will continue working. Remember even free software can stop getting updated causing a need to switch to a new product.

1Echo618

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2013
eWallet?

Although it isn't free exactly... you could try eWallet from Ilium Software. It isn't a subscription either; once purchased, it's yours to keep and use forever. In addition, your data isn't saved on some server that can be pulled out from under you like Moxier, instead you get these individually encrypted wallet data files that you can move and store, and use on any device with eWallet installed. eWallet's also available on all the platforms Moxier offers: WinPC, Mac, iOS and Android, and more. Plus, I hear there are other Moxier folks who have had a pretty easy time of importing their data into the Windows PC eWallet.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Thanks everyone, but I am now using the Opensource KeePass which hopefully will continue working and being worked on.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004

You are complaining that a company goes bust but you aren't willing to pay any money?

I paid for 1Password over 3 years ago with free updates since. The convience and GUI are well worth the price.

Some people are willing to pay for convience and others want everything for free. This is the world we live in.....

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
You are complaining that a company goes bust but you aren't willing to pay any money?

I paid for 1Password over 3 years ago with free updates since. The convience and GUI are well worth the price.

Some people are willing to pay for convience and others want everything for free. This is the world we live in.....

Why pay for something when I can find something else for free that does what I need? I bet you throw your money away on lots of things, in debt and will retire broke? As for me, I am debt free, and will retire with enough money to live comfortably. Reason? Because I am frugal and not throw my money away on things which is not essentially needed.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
Why pay for something when I can find something else for free that does what I need? I bet you throw your money away on lots of things, in debt and will retire broke? As for me, I am debt free, and will retire with enough money to live comfortably. Reason? Because I am frugal and not throw my money away on things which is not essentially needed.

Nice assumptions and personal attacks to me ;)

I've never owed money. Debt Free is a funny word (usually used by people who had big debt) for me because I've payed my credits cards in full every single month for the last 30+ years. Not one single interest payment ever. I've never had debt ever.

I am frugal too. But I am willing to pay for things that save me time and money.

You're obviously too young to even debate this with if you think free is better than your time or money.

SDDave2007

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2007
Let me see if I can recap here.

The poster wants FREE software because he is afraid that if he PAYS for software and the company goes bust he is left out in the cold.

But on the other hand he is too "Frugal" (his words) to invest in the company to help insure that doesn't happen....

So instead he opts for FREEWARE, software from a company that has no incentive to continue supporting its product other than being altruistic?

Yeah.. makes a ton of sense to me....

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
Yeah.. makes a ton of sense to me....

Not sure why so many people don't realize this. That without paying for products companies have a tendency to wither and die. A good product is WORTH paying for. Not just to keep the company going, but to keep development and to get support when needed. 1Password has been great for me, I'm more than thrilled I paid for it. I'll keep buying it if need be, but they never have asked for money for any upgrades so far. Their support has been awesome, they are on here all the time!

My oldest son is a teenager and I'm teaching him the value of money. This means not spending it on stupid things, but investing in quality products from a good company. Yes, shop around, yes try things out, but when you find what fits your needs and makes your life easier, don't balk at purchasing it.

I've done the shareware path, the open source software. 99% of them end up being 1/2 assed and abandoned within a year. My time is worth more to me than to get invested into something that isn't going to be supported long term. Good open source projects turn into closed source paid products at times, often by someone grabbing the source, and recompiling it and trying to sell it.

Frugal isn't bad. Spend wisely, not foolishly.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Not sure why so many people don't realize this. That without paying for products companies have a tendency to wither and die. A good product is WORTH paying for. Not just to keep the company going, but to keep development and to get support when needed. 1Password has been great for me, I'm more than thrilled I paid for it. I'll keep buying it if need be, but they never have asked for money for any upgrades so far. Their support has been awesome, they are on here all the time!

My oldest son is a teenager and I'm teaching him the value of money. This means not spending it on stupid things, but investing in quality products from a good company. Yes, shop around, yes try things out, but when you find what fits your needs and makes your life easier, don't balk at purchasing it.

I've done the shareware path, the open source software. 99% of them end up being 1/2 assed and abandoned within a year. My time is worth more to me than to get invested into something that isn't going to be supported long term. Good open source projects turn into closed source paid products at times, often by someone grabbing the source, and recompiling it and trying to sell it.

Frugal isn't bad. Spend wisely, not foolishly.

The last five years have shown me that you can't rely on anything from anyone.

99% is probably a good guess at a failure rate for all businesses. I had a friend that once bought a particular superior product put out by a well-established firm. So much for the Sony Betamax!

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
The last five years have shown me that you can't rely on anything from anyone.

99% is probably a good guess at a failure rate for all businesses. I had a friend that once bought a particular superior product put out by a well-established firm. So much for the Sony Betamax!

Betamax within the last 5 years? Wow. :D HD-DVD would have been a better choice.

Yes you're correct, it can happen and it does, but the difference between these two and what the OP is talking about is that HD-DVD and Betamax were fights for establishing a standard. Here choosing a well established company's product. Does that mean it will be successful, no, of course not, but supporting the company does help.

Choosing a Sony TV would have been a better analogy since the TV's are an established products and do have competitors. Does that mean your Sony TV today will be usable in 5 years? No, things change, but it is more likely to work than if you purchased a TV from a guy who slapped junk parts together.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA

Nice lecture on frugality. The "retire broke" was, I thought, a particularly clever phrase.

The post exhibits some very nice self congratulatory stuff, too.

Consider the possibility that some choose to spend money when it serves their needs, and others choose frugality over convenience. It might be argued that one purpose of money is to create convenience and comfort.

Just one point of view...:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.