Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kaellar

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
Prices are still higher than US prices.

e.g. lower-end macbook air costs 1270$ versus 999$ in US

^ amazing example of whining I've been talking about ^
Base MBA costs 999 EU against, you know, 999 EU in other EU countries ;)
But that's Apple's fault! Bad, bad Apple!

Last edited:

netkas

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
^ amazing example of whining I've been talking about ^
Base MBA costs 999 EU against, you know, 999 EU in other EU countries ;)
But that's Apple's fault! Bad, bad Apple!

Still, prices are joke.

e.g. my ipad4 32gb 3g, costs in this new store 850$.

But I bought one which has traveled from UK for 750$ (so it includes ipad price in uk, shipping and interest of local (unofficial) reseller).

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
terrible language

this makes me ask the same question that some hollywood films do: why can't they ever find people who speak russian well? the language on this site is a small step up from google translator...
it says that iphone headphones have a remote control...

also there i didn't notice a disclaimer about LTE not being supported in russia. i don't imagine this has changed...

kaellar

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
Still, prices are joke.

e.g. my ipad4 32gb 3g, costs in this new store 850$.

But I bought one which has traveled from UK for 750$ (so it includes ipad price in uk, shipping and interest of local (unofficial) reseller).

Your post is a joke. 32gb lte ipad4 alone costs 580£ in UK which is 890$. So cool story, bro.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Yes, I'm sure your train observation means that the iPhone 5S will sell poorly. Apple is really in trouble. Who cares about objective data?

Actually, his train observation is spot on. Here is quote from the just published IDC report on Western European Mobile Phone Market (Q1):

"In terms of operating system, Android continues to dominate the smartphone landscape. In the quarter, Google's OS shipped 21.9 million units and market share increased to 69% in 1Q13 from 55% in last years' first quarter. Apple's iOS continues to lose ground as market share declined to 20% from 25% in 1Q12."

As far as Apple is concerned, not only iPhone market shared declined but so did iPhone sales year over year.

It's Electric

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2011
As far as Apple is concerned, not only iPhone market shared declined but so did iPhone sales year over year.

My response was to his comment that Apple or the iPhone need "saving." Overall, iPhone sales are doing quite well. The fact that Apple does not focus primarily on the Western European market does not spell disaster for the company.

Edit: I should add that it seems (to me, at least) that Apple is pursuing a long-term strategy of focusing on growth markets. Your IDC report points out why Western Europe is not Apple's top priority: the market is shrinking at present.

netkas

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Your post is a joke. 32gb lte ipad4 alone costs 580£ in UK which is 890$. So cool story, bro.

No you.

paid exactly what I said, in march, but due to exchange rate difference and since I payed in local currency, at that time it costed 850 $.

iKrivetko

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2010
Bloody hells, those prices are ridiculous.
One can go and buy a "grey" ME665 for less than an ME664 in the Apple Store.

dragje

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Yes, I'm sure your train observation means that the iPhone 5S will sell poorly. Apple is really in trouble. Who cares about objective data?

I didn't say that Apple was in financial trouble. In fact, if you took some effort in actually 'reading' what I stated, I said that Apple has stockpiles of money.

Quoting myself:

Only a new Apple watch or a "revolutionary" new product can "save" apple, save in "" because the company is still very very rich but Apple is no longer "cool" unfortunately I may add.

See bold text...So money problems? Hardly. But it doesn't takes "train" observation to simply conclude that Apple is going downwards in popularity and that iPhone sales along with that.

The problem with your "data" is that it isn't that much objective, it's a one sided view of sales. But try to explain this to an Apple fanboy, it's like explaining God doesn't exist to the Pope. ;)

----------

Actually, his train observation is spot on. Here is quote from the just published IDC report on Western European Mobile Phone Market (Q1):

"In terms of operating system, Android continues to dominate the smartphone landscape. In the quarter, Google's OS shipped 21.9 million units and market share increased to 69% in 1Q13 from 55% in last years' first quarter. Apple's iOS continues to lose ground as market share declined to 20% from 25% in 1Q12."

That's all I stated indeed.

Last edited:

dragje

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2012
My response was to his comment that Apple or the iPhone need "saving." Overall, iPhone sales are doing quite well. The fact that Apple does not focus primarily on the Western European market does not spell disaster for the company.

I didn't wrote or suggested that poor sales in Europe means a financial disaster for Apple. That's why I've put "save" between those -> "" <-- and used the word in a whole different context which you, accidental of course, forget to mention. I just conclude that Apple's products where extremely 'cool' once but are no longer 'must haves' among many buyers, as well as in business. It's just a fact that Apple is loosing ground on various area's.

Apple's Stock's
Schermafbeelding%202013-06-27%20om%2008.46.33.png

Apple is a huge company, still making profit, but, as Bloomberg is putting it: Apple Sales Gain Slowest Since ’09 as Competition Climbs
Source: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-01-23/apple-s-holiday-sales-miss-predictions.html

And sales are simply dropping, also stated by Forbes.
Schermafbeelding%202013-06-27%20om%2008.50.32.png

All I'm saying, is that if Apple likes to be "saved" from this downfall it should come up with something "new", that's what Steve Jobs continues did, first the iPod, that made Apple extremely popular, next the iPhone and then the iPad. Now other companies has won ground on all these territories with, sometimes even better, similar products.

Apple is not stupid, it's no surprise that rumors go that Apple will come up with cheaper, made from plastic, devices to gain ground once again. If Apple is continue to walk the road they are currently on then the downfall, as all the graphics by independent organizations shows, will continue.

Edit: I should add that it seems (to me, at least) that Apple is pursuing a long-term strategy of focusing on growth markets. Your IDC report points out why Western Europe is not Apple's top priority: the market is shrinking at present.

You're trying to suggest that because Europe suffers from economy depression that this is the reason why Apple's market share is declining and that Europe is not Apple's priority. You couldn't be more wrong. Apple is also loosing ground in the Asia market. Apple Inc reported slower sales growth in China during its most recently completed quarter, as the gadget maker saw its first profit decline since 2003.
For the company's second fiscal quarter, which ended on March 30, net profit was $9.55 billion, or $10.09 a share, down 18 percent from the $11.6 billion, or $12.30 a share, recorded a year earlier. Revenue increased 11 percent to $43.6 billion.

But most importantly, about two-thirds of Apple's revenue came from international sales in the latest quarter. So yeah, Apple IS focussing on both Asia and the European market and by all means IS Apple's top priority for the very simple reason that two-thirds of Apple's revenue comes from international sales.

Source: http://www.chinadailyasia.com/business/2013-04/25/content_15073297.html

It's Electric

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2011
See bold text...So money problems? Hardly. But it doesn't takes "train" observation to simply conclude that Apple is going downwards in popularity and that iPhone sales along with that.

Please view this chart and explain how iPhone sales are decreasing. Do you understand the difference between market share and sales?

The problem with your "data" is that it isn't that much objective, it's a one sided view of sales. But try to explain this to an Apple fanboy, it's like explaining God doesn't exist to the Pope. ;)

Did you seriously just refer to audited sales data as "one sided" and "not objective"?

It's Electric

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2011
Apple is a huge company, still making profit, but, as Bloomberg is putting it: Apple Sales Gain Slowest Since ’09 as Competition Climbs ... And sales are simply dropping, also stated by Forbes.

Your image link does not work for me.

Either way, there is a difference between a smaller increase in sales and a drop in sales. The article you posted notes that Apple's sales still increased 18%, which is enormous by any large company's standards.

Apple is not stupid, it's no surprise that rumors go that Apple will come up with cheaper, made from plastic, devices to gain ground once again.
You're trying to suggest that because Europe suffers from economy depression that this is the reason why Apple's market share is declining and that Europe is not Apple's priority.

That is exactly what I am suggesting. Do you not see the connection between these two things?

But most importantly, about two-thirds of Apple's revenue came from international sales in the latest quarter. So yeah, Apple IS focussing on both Asia and the European market and by all means IS Apple's top priority for the very simple reason that two-thirds of Apple's revenue comes from international sales.

First, 56% of Apple's sales come from outside of the Americas.

Second, why are you lumping Europe and Asia Pacific under "international" when my point is that Apple is focusing on growth markets like Asia Pacific? From here, you can see that Asia Pacific has already passed Europe as a revenue source (28% compared to 23%) and is growing faster.

northy124

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2007
The only thing I can't understand is why the prices in the official Apple store in Russia is higher than in other official stores in the world?
Within the CIS there are high import duties on all foreign goods in order to sustain a rather poor domestic economy which won't improve until inefficiency is removed from Russia which will never happen in our time. That said the MacBooks are roughly £50 cheaper in Russia than the UK :(

The only Apple products you can get cheaper in Russia are the films which are in many cases half the price and come with English soundtracks :D

dragje

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2012
Second, why are you lumping Europe and Asia Pacific under "international" when my point is that Apple is focusing on growth markets like Asia Pacific? From here, you can see that Asia Pacific has already passed Europe as a revenue source (28% compared to 23%) and is growing faster.

You should work as PR dude for Apple mate ;) Yes, Apple is selling lot's of stuff in Asia and yes they still earning much money, no losses. That's not where I'm talked about, I just conclude that Apple is going down concerning popularity, less and less people are buying Apple products, that doesn't mean Apple isn't selling anything but it does mean that Android is gaining ground; fast I may add.

Both in Europe and Asia. You can point on the sales you have made as a company but in this field 'presence' is everything. No more line-ups before Apple stores, also not in America, most people I see using Samsung devices not Apple iPhones. That matters, especially for Apple and that's why they are going to make cheaper plastic products. The statement: quality is everything is just a hollow phrase when Apple discovers they simply have no choice. Same with size of screen, Apple repeatedly stated not having any interest in larger screens due power issues. Now rumors go they will come up with larger screen iPhones.

You see the picture? The whole industry is getting together, iPhones are no longer dominant, not because other companies come up with cheaper phones but also with hardware that even surpasses those of the iPhone.

Now my point, once more, Apple is loosing ground because people have more choice between just as good products or, in some cases, even better then those of Apple and cheaper as well. Apple had the advance because they came up first with a good working music device to carry with you, same story with the smartphone and the iPad. Then Steve died, and ever since nothing new has come up. Yes, Apple has made all of these devices better, thinner, smoother, nicer the whole bunch and this is all true and I applaud for that. But nothing "new", just "better". Now Apple is even making commercials not about "new" devices, or "new" ideas, no about the stuff they already have made. Meanwhile Google is charging forward with the upcoming Google Glass. Various phone companies will come with glass which users can bend. The only thing I hear from Apple, rumors, is that Apple is working on things....

Vague.. what things? The new Powermac kicks ass, but will it put other companies in the shadows? Hack no, you can actually build a machine that's cheaper but even faster then the new Mac Pro. Is this bad? Nope, not at all, I'll for sure buy the new Mac Pro since I love the OSX system, I'm just stating that Apple "should" come up with truly new inventions. It's not to late, and yes Apple has piles of money and a good market value, but it's shrinking. All the figures by independent organizations are showing this.

So for the last time, Apple is not going to being bankrupted any time soon, but that doesn't mean that Apple will be save for ever. Look at Microsoft, also still strong but struggling. I'm just saying.

----------

Please view this chart and explain how iPhone sales are decreasing.

I see a clear downfall when you look at your table.

Do you understand the difference between market share and sales?

I'm wondering if you understand market share, popularity and the effect of this all.

Did you seriously just refer to audited sales data as "one sided" and "not objective"?

Yeps, because in my context you can't see one without the other.

It's Electric

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2011
You should work as PR dude for Apple mate Yes, Apple is selling lot's of stuff in Asia and yes they still earning much money, no losses. That's not where I'm talked about, I just conclude that Apple is going down concerning popularity, less and less people are buying Apple products...

So, your conclusion from Apple's substantial increase in sales is that "less and less people are buying Apple products"? Yes, that makes sense.

I see a clear downfall when you look at your table.

I can't make heads or tails of your rant, but all I need to know about how little you understand business is this comment. Apple's fiscal Q1 includes the holiday season, which explains the decrease from Q1 to Q2 in a (relatively) mature product. Note that Q2 2013 is higher than Q2 2012 and way higher than Q2 2011.

Also, regarding America: there have been lineups for all phones thus far, and Apple is doing quite well in America.

dragje

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2012
So, your conclusion from Apple's substantial increase in sales is that "less and less people are buying Apple products"? Yes, that makes sense.

Not mine conclusion, figures showing that iOS is been used less and less.

I can't make heads or tails of your rant,

Pardon me? Rant? Seriously?!? Mate, I just stated some figures made by various independent organization like Forbes and various others. People with know-how. But I guess that being a bit critical is blasphemy for some Apple fanboys ;) I really couldn't care less.

I'm not stating anything new here. Apple's iOS is loosing ground. Those are just simply facts. So if you like to get pissed about it write to Apple, not to me.

but all I need to know about how little you understand business is this comment. Apple's fiscal Q1 includes the holiday season, which explains the decrease from Q1 to Q2 in a (relatively) mature product. Note that Q2 2013 is higher than Q2 2012 and way higher than Q2 2011.

Also, regarding America: there have been lineups for all phones thus far, and Apple is doing quite well in America.

Well there is no sense to argue with dogmatic Apple fanboys. I love Apple, but I'm not that dogmatic that I will ignore simple facts. Apple's iOS marketshare is going down rather fast and those other OS systems, like Android, is going up drastically. I'm not stating Android is better, I'm not stating I like Android better, I'm just stating what reports clearly showing.

Apple's ship is not sinking, but when it does I sure hope there captain won't be so dogmatic in this like you in this context by ignoring simple facts.

Europe
http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUK24197413

and worldwide:

http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS24085413

Good luck with denial.

Last edited:

demodave

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
Dallas, TX
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Apple today launched its online store in Russia, bringing direct ordering of its full lineup of products to the world's ninth most populous nation. The launch is being promoted with a large banner on the main Apple page for Russian visitors.

Apple was reported last August to be preparing to begin direct sales in Russia, with the possibility of brick and mortar retail stores following in the future. Apple was reportedly unhappy with its distribution network in the country, particularly with regard to the iPhone, and those distribution issues appear to have spurred Apple to launch its own direct sales there.

Evidence of Apple hiring team members for the Russian online store appeared earlier this year, with those positions based in Cork, Ireland. The company does, however, have a presence in Moscow where it handles iTunes Store, marketing, business sales, carrier relations, and other functions.

Article Link: Apple Launches Online Store in Russia with Full Product Lineup

Better late than never, I hope, I would like to note that while I was in Russia on vacation, I saw no shortage of iDevices on the streets and in people's hands. To think that Apple was able to get so many devices into a country without so much as opening an online store is pretty darn remarkable.

It was also kinda neat to see the International Keyboard add-on that those poor people have to use to write in their own language. I can imagine that Chinese and Japanese must be a real PITA for an iPhone user. (That is admittedly opined with no actual knowledge of the situation.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.