Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

At its Worldwide Developers Conference earlier this month, Apple rolled out a new advertising campaign centered around the tagline "Designed by Apple in California", focusing on the company's brand and how its primary goal is enriching lives. The campaign has included a 60-second television ad, as well as a dedicated page on Apple's website and most recently two-page spreads in major newspapers.

But Bloomberg reports that the campaign is not registering well with the public, citing survey data from consulting firm Ace Metrix showing that the TV ad is Apple's lowest-scoring commercial over the past year.
The company's latest ad, which began airing June 10, has earned the lowest score of 26 Apple TV ads in the past year, according to Ace Metrix Inc., a consulting firm that analyzes the effectiveness of TV ads through surveys of at least 500 TV viewers. The ad scored 489 on the company's scoring system, below an industry average of 542 and far below past iconic Apple campaigns that often topped 700.
Boston University advertising professor Edward Boches notes that the campaign marks a significant shift for Apple, with the focus on the company rather than its products rubbing some viewers the wrong way.
"Apple was never a company that bragged about itself," said Edward Boches, a professor of advertising at Boston University. "In a manifesto ad, it's hard not to come across as self indulgent. And even though it suggests the wonderful things Apple products can do, the ad lacks joy."
Boches goes on to point out that some view the campaign as inappropriately political, highlighting Apple as a California-based company in tacit contrast to Samsung, which is based in South Korea. He suggests that the campaign may end up being a rather short-lived one, similar to the "Genius" campaign that consisted of just three ads running for a brief period during the Summer Olympics.

Article Link: Apple's 'Designed by Apple' TV Ad Scoring Poorly with Viewers

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
I love these ads compared to some of the previous ones. Reminds me of the Think Different campaign which was also more of a company manifesto. Hope to see more like it.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
For me the ad is great, captures what apple is all about,
and got the same spirit as the think different ad.

jfx94

macrumors regular
May 22, 2013
where ever I am at.
The ads talk about a part of apple that is incredibly important and essential to the company. But it's not the part that gets people excited. The attention to detail is what keeps customers happy with their products and enjoying their experiences. But it might be something that is better kept behind the scenes, and put some of the more exciting stuff in ads at the forefront.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
The ads are very un-Apple to be honest. Instead of focusing on the device, or the experience (ala the PC vs Mac ads) they decided to focus on a tagline.

Disclaimer:
On a side note, I didn't really mean to say they focus on a slogan/tagline . . . the "Think Different" campaign did as well, but that campaign had more of a rebel feel to it than these. That campaign wanted folks to see that Apple as a company is going to go against the status quo and not follow the leader. The current ads are kind of like Apple trying to excuse away some of the things they've done in the past few years, and simply follow.

Not to mention, the company is facing a lot of criticism for its supposed "lack of innovation" and these ads aren't very innovative.

Last edited:

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
it's not the ad

it's the lack of new things that's scoring poorly with Apple.

I understand why Apple moved everything to Fall, but in today's tech 9 months without a single new product is A LONG TIME.

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
Sigh. I like the ad.

But, I guess you must have two people secretly scheming against each other, or one person making another look foolish, or some scene of awkward humor that has little to do with the product, otherwise your commercial is a failure nowadays.

jasonv1

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2009
You have to admit, phrases like "deserve to exist" and "make life better" are a little over the top for advertising devices like these.

Get back to showing what the device can do and how it can be used. Don't try to make me feel like my life is incomplete if I don't own one (which admittedly is the goal of marketing).

Perhaps this is just the shift in tactics given that many people own these devices now (talking US, can't speak for other countries). Now the focus is on getting people to upgrade over winning new customers. Not saying one group should be avoided over the other of course, just that there may be more money to be made in getting people to upgrade.

CountBoni

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2011
London, UK
Rubbish

Those focus groups and consultants just want clicks and publicity. Now EVERYTHING Apple does is absolute rubbish isn't it? I don't think so, I think the ads are beautiful, Apple is doing great and there are great thinks coming for the future, I hope they don't listen to all the detractors, like SJ used to. Apple has a heart, unlike most tech companies. I love the ads.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
The ads are very un-Apple to be honest. Instead of focusing on the device, or the experience (ala the PC vs Mac ads) they decided to focus on a slogan.

Not to mention, the company is facing a lot of criticism for its supposed "lack of innovation" and these ads aren't very innovative.

I disagree. I think they are clearly focusing on the experience. All you see in the ads are people experiencing their Apple products.

Qfic

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2011
Don't like the ads, it sorta feels like they're taking credit for life.

Newton70

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2011
I actually like the ads. However, is it possible that the "California" reference might be turning some folks off? I'm from California and even I know that many outsiders don't hold the state in such high esteem.

swarmster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004
Since Midas died, EVERYTHING they do is wrong, it's uncanny. They're like headless chickens.

Heh, I assume "they're like headless chickens" refers to the critics? They've always kind of been that way.

I mean, take the quoted professor, who obviously hasn't been following Apple advertising very long if he thinks "Apple was never a company that bragged about itself".

And "inappropriately political"? I actually rather like the subtle implication that they're one of the few large consumer companies left employing American engineers. Isn't that worth considering in today's international marketplace? Is supporting your country's economy now passé and/or solely the responsibility of the government? Why pretend it doesn't matter?

CoolSpot

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
I think what really rings hollow is that they keep trying to show people deriving meaning and significance in their life from "stuff".

Meandmunch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
As some one else pointed out, it is not the Ad, it is a lack of new and product AND compelling features. As all the product line have evolved specifically the iPhone, the problem is the differences between Apple products and competitors is virtually zero. What are you left to sell with, to make yourself distinct? Designed in California? I personally love the ad, this IS who Apple is an always has been, but I see the problem.

inlinevolvo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
I don't really agree with this analysis. I liked the ads. My only gripe with the industry is its heavy reliance on outsourced labor. Sure it's designed in the USA, but its made in China. With that, I see a different political message playing out. Not one of Apple vs Samsung.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
For me the ad is great, captures what apple is all about,
and got the same spirit as the think different ad.

But is this something the people are interested in viewing. People are interested in a product, not what Apple is about. I say who cares.

efktd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2011
USA
Boches needs to get his head out of his ssa. Right away people want something new and fresh all the time when Apple only has the best products on the market. The signature ads are to let people know, we're post jobs. Ive is in control. We're heading into a new direction. We're developing the future. And we won't stamp any products unless we know they're as good as what you've seen and have fell in love with in the past.

extradryny

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2011
One problem here: while consumers love their Apple devices on an individual level, I think many have mixed feelings about whether these devices have really improved our emotional lives -- as the sappy narration implies.

A young girl alone in her room staring at an iPhone, constantly connected... a woman on the subway with headphones stuck in her ears, who will never have a chance conversation with a stranger... a elementary school kid with an iPad in the classroom, who will never write legibly...

Not making a claim about the utility of iDevices - I love mine, too - but I think the mixed feelings most of us have really challenge the effectiveness of an emotion-driven campaign like this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.