Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bamff

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2013
I just looked at my phone, ip5, tmo, I have been on 3G, and see this pop up that states 'carrier settings automatically updated'. Now carrier in settings is t-mobile 14.2.
Would this be a forced carrier update from apple and, or tmo, and has this happened to anyone else. Are there any benefits compared to 14.1, just curious for anyone else that wants to or prefers to stay in the 3G speeds for now.

Edit: I apologize for the confusion between AT&T and T-Mobile 14.2. I'm on T-Mobile and meant for the topic to be for T-Mobile carrier update 14.2.

Last edited:

ross1998

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2013
I just looked at my phone, ip5, tmo, I have been on 3G, and see this pop up that states 'carrier settings automatically updated'. Now carrier in settings is t-mobile 14.2.
Would this be a forced carrier update from apple and, or tmo, and has this happened to anyone else. Are there any benefits to 14.1, just curious for anyone else that wants to or prefers to stay in the 3G speeds for now.

This is a carrier update for everyone that triggers when you go to settings>general>about. Your phone use to display 3G but the carrier update makes 3G display as 4g do speeds didn't change. This carrier also updated you to make your tmobile iPhone 5 LTE capable and it enabled visual voicemail. It does take your tethering away if your plan doesn't include tethering. The update is worth it and you will have to update to it sooner or later because it comes baked into ios 7.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
AT&T 14.2 update was pushed today, as well. I cannot find any information on what changed.

14.1 (with AMBER alerts for AT&T) just came out two weeks ago.

Bamff

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2013
I didn't go into the settings section. It did it automatically. I know about the carrier update, as to update now or not now. And before it was carrier 14.1.
I guess T-mo pushed out the update because they're probably going to announce LTE markets going live, and I've read on one of these forums that devs that have downloaded ios7 have had the 14.2 carrier update installed and that it has to do with better LTE speeds.
We shall see..

Last edited:

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
AT&T 14.2 update was pushed today, as well. I cannot find any information on what changed.

14.1 (with AMBER alerts for AT&T) just came out two weeks ago.

Very curious as well. Have been searching around for a while and there is no news on 14.2.

ratbrain

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2010
ditto here. i noticed around 530 pm PT a notification on my phone saying that a carrier update was made.

i've been ignoring the prompt for months now and it was forced on my phone today....

good bye hotspot...

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
This isn't the same carrier update that changed the 3G icon to 4G on Tmobile. I installed that one when I got my iPhone 5. This one just applied itself automatically when I went into settings > about.

MNWildFan

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2013
Minnesota, USA
I also got this message about this update earlier today

In case anyone is wondering, I have an AT&T iPhone 5 with the latest version of iOS for it, 6.1.4. Unlike the slight changes us AT&T iPhone users got in the last carrier update with the additions of emergency and AMBER alerts in the notification settings, I haven't noticed any big changes in this carrier update. I have heard though that with this update on the T-Mobile iPhone 5, the 3G indicator got updated to 4G, and I would guess that it would soon start showing LTE like all the other variants of the iPhone do right now, that is once T-Mobile gets more of their LTE network rolled out. I also heard that some people have lost their emergency and AMBER alert settings though. Thankfully, that didn't happen to me.

iLoveMyApple

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2008
Southern California
I clicked this thread and thought "I didn't get a carrier update" and as soon as I unlocked my iPhone, it said it automatically updated to 14.2. Weird! I have an AT&T iPhone 5 running 6.1.4. I got the 14.1 carrier update back when everyone else was getting it.

MNWildFan

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2013
Minnesota, USA
I cannot find any information on what changed.

Nor can I. I guess since it's so new, I guess there's no official source that shows exactly what "changes" happened. Or maybe they were really minor changes that occurred in this carrier update that no one even knows what they are.

mactmaster

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
I couldn't find much changes when comparing both files. The few changes were just the new version number.

I did find one change on the carrier.plist file; the addition of this key:

Code:
<key>MinimumDeviceCategorySupported</key>
<integer>10</integer>

Not sure what this one does. I couldn't find this key documented anywhere.

This might just be about getting people off the 'Hacked' carrier profiles that came out recently.

coolio93

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2013
Houston, TX
Why "good bye hotspot"? I still have hotspot ability on my TMobile iP5 after the update. Am I missing something?

If you are on the old classic plans than hotspot will be disabled unless you pay for it. Not applying the carrier update was a way to get around that.

Castielle

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2013
at&t iphone 5 carrier update 14.2 slows download speed

I've done several speedtests on my iPhone 5 since 14.1 and here are the results I've gotten:

Post 14.1
Download test 1: 26.38
Download test 2: 23.81

Post 14.2
Download test 1: 5.06 :mad:
Download test 2: 8.98 :mad:
Download test 3: 7.69 :mad:

I'm on AT&T Chicago.

Anyone else notice this? :confused:

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
I've done several speedtests on my iPhone 5 since 14.1 and here are the results I've gotten:

Post 14.1

Post 14.2

I'm on AT&T Chicago.

This is a T-Mobile thread

----------

No update for people on iOS 7 beta forT-Mobile as my carrier setting is 14.5.2
I have the same in iOS 7b2.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010

Post 14.1

Post 14.2

I'm on AT&T Chicago.

Yep, my iPhone 5 updated this morning and I did a speedtest here in NYC, same results as yours. This is a bunch of horse ****! :mad:

Upload speeds are in the toilet, too. I used to get 4-6 Mbps, now I'm lucky to get 1 since the carrier update.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Yep, my iPhone 5 updated this morning and I did a speedtest here in NYC, same results as yours. This is a bunch of horse ****! :mad:

Upload speeds are in the toilet, too. I used to get 4-6 Mbps, now I'm lucky to get 1 since the carrier update.
My speeds have not changed.

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
For the TMobile update, does anyone know what this does to the Hacked Carrier file, if you are running it? Does this overwrite the hack, or does the update even happen if you have the hacked carrier file?

Irish Rose

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2010
Received the update on my iPhone 5 this morning. The LTE speeds seem to be a little faster now here in Philly. :)

5a2ege8e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.