Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Rolocule, which debuted its Rolomotion concept back in April, has launched its first game that uses the technology. The Rolomotion software is designed to convert an iPhone or an iPod touch into a motion controller, similar to a Nintendo Wii Remote.

The first game to use the technology, Motion Tennis, hit the App Store this morning. Motion Tennis is meant to be played on the Apple TV using AirPlay Mirroring, where it takes advantage of the iPhone's gyroscope, magnetometer, and accelerometer to detect movement and translate the movements on screen. Like with the Wii Remote, the iPhone serves as a racket in Motion Tennis.

rolomotion_3.jpg
Motion Tennis should only be purchased by users with an Apple TV with AirPlay functionality, as the game does not work on its own. It plays similarly to the Tennis game in Wii Sports (it is, however, less polished), and although there is some slight lag, the game is responsive to the phone's movements.
Key Features:
Swing like a Champion: Get the real feel of tennis as you swing real forehands and backhands by swinging your iPhone/iPod Touch and taking control of your player on TV.

Hitting glory: Hit multiple shots like the groundstrokes, slice and lob, and simultaneously give accurate direction to the ball, just like in real tennis.

Multiplayer: Team up with friends and family by connecting two iPhones wirelessly and play together as doubles partners to beat the opponents.

Tennis fitness: Get an approximate count of calories burnt with each tennis match and track total calories burnt.

The new home of tennis: Choose between Grass, Clay or Synthetic courts along with four difficulty levels to become a tennis master.

Tennis Survivor: Think you can survive this continuous onslaught? Play the survival mode where you cannot make even ONE mistake. Get a highscore and compete in Online leader boards.
The game requires an iPhone 4S, an iPhone 5, or a 5th Generation iPod touch running iOS 6 to play. It also requires a second or third generation Apple TV for AirPlay Mirroring.

Motion Tennis can be downloaded from the App Store for $7.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Wii-Style iPhone Game 'Motion Tennis' Hits the App Store

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
While I agree this seems a little dangerous, it is definetly the most innovative iPhone & AppleTV game thus far. I hope this helps pave the way for more games that utilize AppleTV as a second screen. The iPad being utilized could really make a great replacement for the Wii U. :D

On a side note, this game works on the iPad too apparently - that would be strange to play! haha

magiic

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
San Jose
Even if this isn't great it's a good start. I am glad to see developers trying stuff like this out. Pretty cool.

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
They could make a killing on a cushion case and before each game display an annoying reminder to apply the case and strap to your wrist.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
A cool concept but lag while using airplay means this isn't going to be a real fun game.

You should try the game and see if there is lag before claiming there will be, don't you think?

I think this is a neat direction for games and if it works well, $7.99 a game isn't bad.

autrefois

macrumors 65816
You should try the game and see if there is lag before claiming there will be, don't you think?

I think they were going off the article in the first post, which said "although there is some slight lag, the game is responsive[...]". If it's an occasional, very short lag, it's probably not a huge problem (although should be addressed eventually). If it's a long lag, it's frequent, or you never know when it's going to happen, then it's obviously a problem.

Battlefield Fan

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2008

I think this is a neat direction for games and if it works well, $7.99 a game isn't bad.

Are you serious? Airplay lags. This game will be no different. You'll just have to time your shots accordingly.

I wonder how many TV's will be ruined by flying iPhones?!?!

outie2k

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
Are you serious? Airplay lags. This game will be no different. You'll just have to time your shots accordingly.

Or how many flying iPhones are ruined? This isn't a cheap $30 Wiimote and it's most likely the TVs cost less than the iPhones ;)

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
Cool idea, but as others have already said, people are going to be slamming their iPhones against the wall and the floor and the tv screen. Anybody who has played a Wii knows that if you don't have a wrist strap on, you'll throw the controller across the room in short order. The only way this will even have a chance is if they also come out with a wrist strap contraption of some kind.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005

I'm serious when it comes to this game and finding out if it still lags. This is a first, isn't it?

giardinop

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2011
Expensive consoles? I'm having trouble with the math:

Console $350 + Game $50

AppleTV $100 + iPhone $649 (16Gb) + Game $8

Am I missing something?

Even if you swap the iPhone for the iPod Touch it's still $8 more for this setup.

chimpboy74

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2007
Scotland

Console $350 + Game $50

Am I missing something?

Even if you swap the iPhone for the iPod Touch it's still $8 more for this setup.

I think the assumption is that you already have the iPhone and atv.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
I think they were going off the article in the first post, which said "although there is some slight lag, the game is responsive[...]". If it's an occasional, very short lag, it's probably not a huge problem (although should be addressed eventually). If it's a long lag, it's frequent, or you never know when it's going to happen, then it's obviously a problem.

I definitely noticed some lag while playing, but the game does compensate for this by prompting you to "swing early." There are also settings that can be turned off to cut down on lag, but nothing seemed to eliminate it entirely. That said, even with the small bit of (inevitable) lag, the game was playable.

CTay

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2013
Am I the only one that noticed the SUPER clean wire job that was done in the picture within the article. :D

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004

Console $350 + Game $50

Am I missing something?

Oh come on. This app is clearly geared toward existing iPhone and iPod touch owners. They may need to shell out $100 more for Apple TV (and $8 for the game), but that is still cheaper than buying a new console.

Having said that, $8 seems rather expensive for a simplistic tennis game. I suppose it is priced as such given Apple TV requirement (smaller market). The developer should provide a free version to demonstrate it is playable for those with such setup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.