Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
Bitch, whore etc etc
(not filtered by the profanity filter).
And there are other words not picked up. This needs to be updated to filter more of the obvious profanity.

Last edited:
Reactions: apolloa

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
Bitch, whore etc etc
(not filtered by the profanity filter).
And there are other words not picked up. This needs to be updated to filter more of the obvious profanity.

First of all, input is always good. :) This section is the right place for this kind of comment, and others can add words if they feel they're a problem. But for anyone who wants a guarantee of a personal answer, you can also use the Contact Us (link at bottom of almost every forum page).

Both "bitch" and "whore" have uses that aren't considered profane here, so we prefer to moderation inappropriate use as it comes up.

"Bitch" is for example a female dog, and you can say something along the lines of "I'm a specs whore" without it being a problem.

But feel free to report any inappropriate use you see, and we'll consider whether or not something needs to be done.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Sorry for probably circumventing the profanity filter, but why is a.r.s.e. filtered? The American and British words for one's behind can be used for more than just insults, as far as I know, but then again, I see, that there is much more forbidden in the USA for people below a certain age than it is in Europe, whether this is good or bad is a matter of another topic though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Or you could simply refrain from using that language in the first place.

I agree. The English language is rich enough, nuanced enough and expressive enough for one to be able to say (and write) what one wishes to say without having to seek refuge in what can broadly be seen as crude, and insulting expressions.

First of all, input is always good. :) This section is the right place for this kind of comment, and others can add words if they feel they're a problem. But for anyone who wants a guarantee of a personal answer, you can also use the Contact Us (link at bottom of almost every forum page).

Both "bitch" and "whore" have uses that aren't considered profane here, so we prefer to moderation inappropriate use as it comes up.

"Bitch" is for example a female dog, and you can say something along the lines of "I'm a specs whore" without it being a problem.

But feel free to report any inappropriate use you see, and we'll consider whether or not something needs to be done.

Fair point.

SprSynJn

Sep 15, 2011
Japan
Sorry for probably circumventing the profanity filter, but why is a.r.s.e. filtered? The American and British words for one's behind can be used for more than just insults, as far as I know, but then again, I see, that there is much more forbidden in the USA for people below a certain age than it is in Europe, whether this is good or bad is a matter of another topic though.

This man makes a very good point. I would expect the two words used in the original post would be much more inclined to be filtered than the two mentioned above. Also, I had heard that the word fag is now filtered. Is that true?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Arse and bastard are not on the profanity filter.

If anyone has any specific complaints on moderation please use the contact us link at the bottom of the page and an administrator can discussion your questions/concerns.

As with many things in life, context is key, the words may not be filtered but how they are used may represent a rules violation. As per the rules for appropriate debate Discuss/debate the topic, do not taunt or attack the member.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Arse and bastard are not on the profanity filter.

If anyone has any specific complaints on moderation please use the contact us link at the bottom of the page and an administrator can discussion your questions/concerns.

As with many things in life, context is key, the words may not be filtered but how they are used may represent a rules violation. As per the rules for appropriate debate Discuss/debate the topic, do not taunt or attack the member.
Sorry, was confusing it with shi*e. My bad.

Hmm, new words to think about that should get unbanned. What about ***** Riot, Michael okayed it on TLLSwCF last week.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Maybe people should just stop being uptight about curse words in general. It's a combination of letters. I could construct a sentence that is far more derogatory, offensive, and bigoted without using a single curse word than if I threw the 'F' word in there. Grow up people.

Of course there is, but using censorship is just a way to control people, and as we know, a lot of people like to be controlled and some people like control.

And defining certain words to be inappropriate is a fine way of controlling one's thoughts.

I recently heard of an radio play (cannot remember its name) circling around the usage of words and its classification into classes, and if one wanted to use more words than the standard class allowed, one had to purchase the next class to use those.

Reactions: Gwendolini
Nov 28, 2010
located
OR we could just disable the profanity filter all together.

But that would be profane in itself, would it not be?

I am not a frequent user of other message boards but one other, and over there profanity is allowed as long as it is not used to insult each other that harshly, but then again, it is controlled by a Romulan with a severe attitude. Not everyone gets along nicely and civility is often looked for on one special sub-forum, but most of the time it is fairly self regulating, but then again, it is not as big as MR and does not attract that much wackos.

Anyway,

Reactions: E.Lizardo

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
Still can't believe a female dog is called that yet a female cat is called a "queen" which is a word for royalty. I guess that is why I hate dogs and love cats. The ONLY FORUM that filters those words is Sony PSN community.

Also to the morons it is bicker, baulk, complain or whine not the b-word well I am not a moron so I won't say. At least you don't allow the F & S word which is very offensive. Many forums allow it so kitos for filtering that or I would be out of here.

Last edited:

LuxoJunior

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2013
Or you could simply refrain from using that language in the first place.

Yeah, because the internet is only for prudes and the overly sensitive. Perhaps people can grow up and get over it. They're just words. I'm going to start swearing on this forum in Mandarin.

OR we could just disable the profanity filter all together.

This is the only option that isn't complete **

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
Or give us a option to turn it on or off and the level of strictness which would be on for me at the strict level but I don't know of any such forum that gives that option.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Yeah, because the internet is only for prudes and the overly sensitive. Perhaps people can grow up and get over it. They're just words. I'm going to start swearing on this forum in Mandarin.

Be warned, non-English posts or expressions here get deleted (not that your's was so bad, rather because it's an English-language board and as such we ask members to use English), and we have an admin who has a master's degree in Chinese. ;)

LuxoJunior

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2013
Be warned, non-English posts or expressions here get deleted (not that your's was so bad, rather because it's an English-language board and as such we ask members to use English), and we have an admin who has a master's degree in Chinese. ;)

Fine, it's the only suggestion that isn't complete horse dooky/dung/manure/droppings/poop. It's amazing how an assembly of 4 letters gets everybody so riled up around here. I guess I'll have to make up some new works for the Seven Words You Can Never Say On MacRumors. :rolleyes:

Are you sure there isn't a little German influence on this board?

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Fine, it's the only suggestion that isn't complete horse dooky/dung/manure/droppings/poop. It's amazing how an assembly of 4 letters gets everybody so riled up around here. I guess I'll have to make up some new works for the Seven Words You Can Never Say On MacRumors. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

I don't think you understood my post. I didn't edit your post because it was profane, as I explained.

The point is that the rule is there for a reason. With over 800,000 members, not everyone will like every rule.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
I notice that profanity curses are easy to spell but the non profane words are harder which is why people post them but they are still morons for doing it.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

But why do you feel the need to express yourself using words which you know to be offensive to some (even though you might dispute the socio-cultural context which made them offensive in the first place?) when it is quite clear that you are more than perfectly capable of expressing yourself in plain English?

Why the perceived need to have the 'right' to use language deemed offensive? It is not a question of lack of language, or vocabulary, so - and I am really rather curious about this - is it a desire to shock, or to use language as a tool of power? Reading your two posts, quoted above, I am struck by the unpleasant and rather derisory tone as much as by the content of the posts themselves. And no, 'they' are not 'just words'. Words matter, and words are not neutral, and neither is language.

There are good socio-linguistic-cultural reasons why terms deemed offensive are considered offensive. In general, it is because language (like other modes of expression of power, prestige and influence) is not used equally. Insulting terms tend to be used by those considered more powerful (or who consider themselves more powerful, or exempt from the obligation of having to observe normal courtesies) towards those whom they consider of lesser worth.

So, it becomes an issue both of the use of offensive language and the context in which the user of such language considers themselves justified in using it.

To be honest, I doubt that it is a question of protecting 'prudes' and the 'overly sensitive' from the harsh glare of the light of life; it is more a question of showing respect for your fellow forum members by not using a form of language generally accepted as somewhat offensive.

Last edited:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
To be honest, I doubt that it is a question of protecting 'prudes' and the 'overly sensitive' from the harsh glare of the light of life; it is more a question of showing respect for your fellow forum members by not using a form of language generally accepted as somewhat offensive.

Well composed and beautifully written. Though what you wrote was what I was thinking, I could not have articulated it in such a way as this. Moreover, I wholeheartedly agree as well.

Reactions: willmtaylor

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Might want to not filter out Mat****a.

EDIT:
I'm clueless. Mat s h i t a. The DVD drive company.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.