Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

julienM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2013
Hi everyone!

Maybe like many of you, i am very disappointed when i see interesting games on PC that are not available for MAC.
Racing games are no exceptions..

For that reason, i would like to share with you the development of a Racing Game i am developing right now and that run perfectly on MAC.

We are only 2 guys working on that project for the moment so don't expect a professional polished game, but we are doing our best to make the game better and better in every aspect.

Actually the game work very fine on my 7 years old MAC Book Pro (I am developing the game on it).

So the required spec to play the game should not be an issue.

I would love to hear some feedback from you guys and what you think about it.

Here is the link to the download
//========================================
// REDLINE RACING
//========================================
http://www.redline-e.com

Screenshots of Build 08 Available soon
1388246505.jpg

1388328382.jpg

Video of Build 06

Here is how to play
*** Inside Menus ***
Keyboard only, arrows to move, space and enter to select

*** During Driving ****
You can play with Keyboard / Controller / Mouse.
Use A and S to shift up and down if you have manual transmission
Use space bar to Handbrake

Have fun!

Last edited:

Confusius

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2012
New York
Hi everyone!

We are only 2 guys working on that project for the moment so don't expect a professional polished game, but we are doing our best to make the game better and better in every aspect.

Have fun!

That looks terrific! Downloading now. Félicitations les gars.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
I hate to bring this up (because what you're doing is pretty cool), but I'm guessing you don't have a license to use real cars. There's a very real chance you could run afoul of an automaker's legal department for that.

ianwuk

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
I hate to bring this up (because what you're doing is pretty cool), but I'm guessing you don't have a license to use real cars. There's a very real chance you could run afoul of an automaker's legal department for that.

Surely they can make them look 'similar' with made up names? Like Burnout did?

I will try this - thanks!

JaguarGod

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2010
IS this the same Redline I saw demoed by Ambrosia in the early 2000s?

Edwin

It does not appear to be. I played the Ambrosia Redline for many years after it's release and this looks to be something different. Redline from Ambrosia Software had a lot of mods, but not a lot of original content. But it was well worth the $25 in my opinion just for the addons. You can still buy the game and download all of the mods from the Redline game forum on the Ambrosia site.

Good luck with this game as I am always interested in new Mac racing games.

julienM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2013
Thank you everyone for your encouraging comments!

About the license, that is correct, we do not own them.
But to be honest, i think it's useless to think about it seriously right now because our game is so little impact...

But you are right, maye we are too naive and should care more about it.

We have to find a solution soon about that issue.

The build 7 of our game will probably be out next month with a lot of fixed bugs, more cars, and more accurate physics + some more contents.

ianwuk

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
Thank you everyone for your encouraging comments!

About the license, that is correct, we do not own them.
But to be honest, i think it's useless to think about it seriously right now because our game is so little impact...

But you are right, maye we are too naive and should care more about it.

We have to find a solution soon about that issue.

The build 7 of our game will probably be out next month with a lot of fixed bugs, more cars, and more accurate physics + some more contents.

Just give them made up names for now and you are right, get the game righr first. Focus on the details later. :)

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
Focus on the details later. :)

They should nip the real/fake car issue in the bud right now. Don't want to go nuts with programming only to have to go back later if and when they might see a cease and desist order.

julienM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2013
They should nip the real/fake car issue in the bud right now. Don't want to go nuts with programming only to have to go back later if and when they might see a cease and desist order.

We are going to find a solution for it. As i said, we are only 2 guys and work on this project on our free time, so its difficult to find a solution right now..

What i am more interested actually is to know if any of you guys tried the game with a gamepad ?

If yes, was the gamepad working ?
How was the precision of the Analog ?

Do you have any recommendation to make this prototype better ?
I am working hard on the next update to make it really better.

arashb

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2009
We are going to find a solution for it. As i said, we are only 2 guys and work on this project on our free time, so its difficult to find a solution right now..

What i am more interested actually is to know if any of you guys tried the game with a gamepad ?

If yes, was the gamepad working ?
How was the precision of the Analog ?

Do you have any recommendation to make this prototype better ?
I am working hard on the next update to make it really better.

Great game! :D

I love the clutch, any benefit in actually using it? :p

I was racing using the keyboard and after a lap I got the hang of it, counter steering is kinda hard on it. But that's expected.

I noticed if you put the Skyline in reverse and completely turn and press on the gas you move diagonally. Also I've never heard an R34 in person but the turbo and blow off noise don't seem right. I've never seen a car where you can hear the blow off from factory.

I didn't get to try anything other than the M3 or R34, it crashed when I went to get a new car. Or else I would've kept playing :D.

Last edited:

julienM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2013
arashb thank you for testing the game!
Benefit from using the clutch ? What do you mean ?
Actually, the indicator is just here to help me debug whats going on.

Yeah countersteer need some rework, its not fully optimized yet.

Actually, the sounds from the car are all very beta at the moment.
So yeah, factory turbo and blow of valve could almost not be heard.

But i added a strong one to show that the car was a turbo one :)
I may change this later.

Thank you for testing!

Erko

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2011
Estonia
Every time I go to the dealership it starts loading and it doesn't seem to have any effect. Is it just me or is the loading just very long or...?

arashb

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2009
Every time I go to the dealership it starts loading and it doesn't seem to have any effect. Is it just me or is the loading just very long or...?

That's what it did to me when I tried to get a third car. But first two were fine.

julienM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2013
Ah, yeah, actually, an internet connection is required to play..
In the dealership, it take the informations on the net.

So if the server is busy or not internet, you can't play.
This is very bad, so i will make sure that we can play without internet connection in the next Build.

Need to be updated.
Sorry about that issue.

aschi

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2013
Hi, I played your game on the new MBA 13" base model and it was really good :) but i felt like the steering is not the best, like the front has no grip. And I noticed one more thing, when I was approaching turn and started downshifting and braking, the game pressed clutch in second gear. I think it is bug or you want it like that? But it is great game! :)

julienM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2013
@aschi

Hey aschi, thank you for your sweat comment.
I don't know if what you are talking about is a bug or a desired issue.

All i can say is every time you shift (upshift or downshift) the clutch will automatically be engaged to change the gear.

@Ddyracer

Hi! damage model is surely very cool, but out of capacity for us.
It would be just too much work and too painful to develop atm.

I guess you can be disappointed when game like gran turismo and forza have a very poor damage model while the dev team is 100++ people with enormous budget.

And i hope you can forgive us to not add it when we are 2 people with like 0 budget hehe.

Home my non native English make sens..

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
@Ddyracer

Hi! damage model is surely very cool, but out of capacity for us.
It would be just too much work and too painful to develop atm.

I guess you can be disappointed when game like gran turismo and forza have a very poor damage model while the dev team is 100++ people with enormous budget.

And i hope you can forgive us to not add it when we are 2 people with like 0 budget hehe.

Home my non native English make sens..

It's fine, i agree that alot of devs have poor damage models. Btw, you can multi quote someone by hitting this
multiquote_off.gif
button for who you want to answer, and then hit this
quote.gif
to reply.

julienM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2013
It's fine, i agree that alot of devs have poor damage models. Btw, you can multi quote someone by hitting this Image button for who you want to answer, and then hit this Image to reply.

But even if we will not add damage to cars, i think the best is to penalize players that try to do a kind of dirty play.

Like in gran turismo, you can really play in a dirty way...
Rebounds on walls, rebounds on other cars, drive in grass etc..

That does not encourage fair and clean driving.

About the release of the Build 07 i have good news.
The dev is going very very well, and the next build should be available very soon!

Tons of issue fixed, a lot of new features, better performance etc...

aschi

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2013
I know that clutch engages to change gear, but what happened to me is that it stayed engaged even after the gear shift. Apart from that the game is really good :)

julienM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2013
I know that clutch engages to change gear, but what happened to me is that it stayed engaged even after the gear shift. Apart from that the game is really good :)

Yeah, this is an issue i had forgot to fix when released the build 6.
Should be fixed in the next build. Sorry.

thanks for the games you have provided
Yeah i am glad to provide this game for the MAC community!
MAC definitely need more games.

julienM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2013
I would like to ask to you guys what device are you using to play the game?

Did you use mainly keyboard ? gamepad ?
If some of you used Gamepad, may you teach me the specific gamepad you used ?

I try to improve the gamepad compatibility for the next Build.

By the way, next build 07 will be ready the 10 of this month!

Here are two screenshots of the WIP.
Bonnet / hood cam view + lightmap with shadows on the racetrack.

build07_01.png

build07_02.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.