Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Foxconn has announced a new smart wristband that can measure vital signs like respiration and heartbeat, and also check phone calls and Facebook posts, according to a report from the Want China Times.

Terry Gou, the head of Hon Hai Precision Industry -- the name of Foxconn's parent company -- said the company's research groups are looking to add fingerprint identification to the product as well. The device can make suggestions to the wearer on ways to improve their health if vital signs are out of the optimal range.

NewImage11.png
Hon Hai chairman Terry Gou said his company's wireless communications and medical research groups also plan to add new features such as fingerprint identification to the gadget in the future, to help record personal health data.

"With such a device, you can keep your phone in your pocket and simply check all kinds of messages on your watch," Gou told shareholders.
Wearable computers are a quickly developing market, with devices like the Nike FuelBand -- which Tim Cook wears -- and the Fitbit Flex wristband making inroads with consumers, while prototype devices like Google Glass have captured the attention of tech-savvy types.

Apple is actively developing wearable devices, including a smart watch with a curved glass screen. It's been reported that Apple has a team of 100 working on its smart watch project, and that the device's development has moved beyond the experimental phase.

Article Link: Foxconn Announces iPhone-Compatible Smart Wristband

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
hold on, let me check my heart rate.
*unlock iPhone with pass code*
*download Foxconn app*
*input iTunes password to download app*
*launch Foxconn app, (Please scan your finger to secure your data)*
*scan finger*
*scan heart rate*
*120 bpm*

"That's a bit high for resting...innit?"

RJCP

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
I wonder how many defective iPhones sneaked past their quality control while they were busy with an effin' useless wrist band.

Red Oak

Suspended
Jun 14, 2011
Foxconn now believes it must be a consumer brand, and develop its own hardware and software. This is quickly going to become another Samsung situation for Apple.

I love how Foxconn thinks it can just hire 3,000 software developers and overnight becoming a player in software. Same goes with Samsung. Apple has a true competitive advantage in software.

As if "we'll spend whatever it takes" is how you get there

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Other features not announced:

- GPS tracking of workers
- Health alert STATS on each worker for quick assembly line replacement
- Tracking worker hours
- Tracking employee stat's
- Electroshock if employee is behind their hourly assembly quota
- "Invisible Fence" partnership for added geo-fencing employees
- Tracking distance to ground level for each employee based on station
- Passbook support for docking meals from pay

*Neck collar coming soon

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
All the Foxconn jokes while ignoring that we're all dependent on them. It's not just Apple using them. Most consumer electronics coming out of China use them. HTC, Samsung, Nokia, Microsoft, Dell, Sony, and most everyone else us Foxconn. Thats why it was funny when Apple was the only one getting crap for using them as everyone else does too.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
That's handy, I've often wondered whether I breath or circulate blood.

Foxconn now believes it must be a consumer brand, and develop its own hardware and software. This is quickly going to become another Samsung situation for Apple.

I love how Foxconn thinks it can just hire 3,000 software developers and overnight becoming a player in software. Same goes with Samsung. Apple has a true competitive advantage in software.

Exactly!

no body's said it yet but, this is the best looking smart watch/app I've seen.

But it has no screen - how can it be a watch?

Aidyn's X

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
How is checking Facebook on this any easier than doing so on the app on your phone considering this has no screen and you have to go through an app to see that anyway? Or are they saying it will post to facebook for you? What is it posting? Your pulse?

albusseverus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2007
That thing is ugly :eek:

Hardly a wristband, it looks like a lump of black play-doh!, wrapped around a wrist. And it looks like it weighs a tonne.

(And then…) I can't wait to see how it checks calls and Facebook. Does it read them to you ???

So rather than put the phone to your ear, you put your watch to your ear???

"Check this out"… um. Maybe social media will go from pictures to audio, so people can hear things without checking their screen???

This just gets better all the time.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Is this part of their business diversification strategy that was reported by MR late last month?
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1587485/

Probably a good move for them, however.....

Foxconn now believes it must be a consumer brand, and develop its own hardware and software. This is quickly going to become another Samsung situation for Apple.....

I wouldn't go so far as to ring the alarm bells yet, but definitely something for APPLE to keep in mind, when dealing with FOXCONN, and for the APPLE lawyers to make sure those contracts are 'airtight'.

Timster83

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2007
Glasgow, Scotland

It's not so dissimilar to HTC's beginnings. They started out making carrier-branded devices, before becoming a consumer brand in their own right, probably around the time of WM6.

They only need to start churning out cheap Android devices which are higher specced than the competition. If they do this, there's no reason why they can't cannibalise market share from players like HTC, as well as adding new share from those consumers looking for a cheap first smartphone.

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012

Do they not have the right to do whatever they see as a solid business strategy? If they have a lot of cash from making things for others, and have learned a lot along the way, why cant they hire who they want, and do what they want? Coming on super strong and pumping a lot of cash into a new business wont turn them into a serious competitor overnight, but give it a few years and it would certainly fast track it. This is kind of what the big Japanese companies did a few decades ago - and it certainly worked for them.

I say good luck to them - maybe this device is not going to be a blockbuster, but maybe in a few generations time.

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky

And hardware too. That thing is ugly :eek:

That's handy, I've often wondered whether I breath or circulate blood.

Exactly!

But it has no screen - how can it be a watch?

It's not so dissimilar to HTC's beginnings. They started out making carrier-branded devices, before becoming a consumer brand in their own right, probably around the time of WM6.

They only need to start churning out cheap Android devices which are higher specced than the competition. If they do this, there's no reason why they can't cannibalise market share from players like HTC, as well as adding new share from those consumers looking for a cheap first smartphone.

Do they not have the right to do whatever they see as a solid business strategy? If they have a lot of cash from making things for others, and have learned a lot along the way, why cant they hire who they want, and do what they want? Coming on super strong and pumping a lot of cash into a new business wont turn them into a serious competitor overnight, but give it a few years and it would certainly fast track it. This is kind of what the big Japanese companies did a few decades ago - and it certainly worked for them.

I say good luck to them - maybe this device is not going to be a blockbuster, but maybe in a few generations time.

So the first time any of you ever heard of Foxconn was when Apple decided to use them to fab devices and in that brilliance decided since you never heard of them they NEVER did their own branded things before. How shortsighted to not be able to see past ignorance.

SvenSvenson

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2007
hold on, let me check my heart rate.
*unlock iPhone with pass code*
*download Foxconn app*
*input iTunes password to download app*
*launch Foxconn app, (Please scan your finger to secure your data)*
*scan finger*
*scan heart rate*
*120 bpm*

"That's a bit high for resting...innit?"

You forgot the step to delete the App, otherwise why would you have to download it each time and without *those* steps, your critique looks a bit weak...

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Is this part of their business diversification strategy that was reported by MR late last month?
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1587485/

Probably a good move for them, however.....

I wouldn't go so far as to ring the alarm bells yet, but definitely something for APPLE to keep in mind, when dealing with FOXCONN, and for the APPLE lawyers to make sure those contracts are 'airtight'.

Why do you shout company names?

litmag01

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2009
One more small step

Is it me or do all these companies seem to be taking baybysteps with wearable technology. Not that its a bad start, but there has to be something better to do than using app-linked-hardware simply to monitor vital signs and golf-shot distance. Its like the development process is run by healthcare providers training for the PGA.

Oldschoolers

macrumors member
May 16, 2013
North Carolina

Foxconn and other large CMs already do hardware and software designs, but you don't hear about them because they are branded under other OEMs. This is not a business model they are developing, it's been in use for a long time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.