Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr. Stealth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
SoCal-Surf City USA
After scouring the web I located a modded rom file for the 4GB version of the card. It’s obviously the rom from the 2GB Mac card, same one that’s been posted here on Mac Rumors. Version number and date are identical. However it’s been modified to work with the 4GB card. So I flashed my cards, one at a time to be safe, and low and behold I have my beautiful EFI boot screens back. Didn’t really know how much I missed them but so glad to have them back.

At this point there’s only one issue. My stock speeds of 1085MHz GPU & 1150MHz Boost have now dropped to 1006MHz GPU & 1059MHz Boost. These are the stock 2GB reference card values. Boooo….

I spent several hours combing through the hex of the rom in an attempt to locate the errant bits. Although familiar with hacking hex it’s a process that is tedious and can make your head hurt and eyes cross after a few hours. So I took a break and turned to scouring the web again for Nvidia Rom Hacking information. I found on a German web site a wonderful win utility with GUI for editing the clock speeds and several other parameters of the BIOS imbedded in the rom. Kepler BIOS Tweaker v1.25.exe

Here’s what I didn’t know. Will both the BIOS section and EFI section of the rom need edits to restore my clock speeds? I figure probably yes. This was a Windows utility to edit the BIOS so I thought at best I’d have my clock speeds restored in Windows but still have the slower clocks when in OS X.

I did the edit to both cards restoring my clocks to 1085MHz & 1150MHz and wrote the roms back to the cards. Rebooting to windows showed my clocks back to normal. Now booting to OS X was the surprise. The clocks are now back to the higher speeds in OS X as well! So the EFI needs no edit only the BIOS.

These cards are working awesome, full boot screens, full clock speeds & PCI-E 2.0. Just as if you walked in an Apple Store and pulled them off the shelf. (If you could…)

Good Stuff..... Enjoy ! ROM and utilities attached below for the adventurous.

The rom is just as I found it with reference card speeds. But you can tweak it with the included utilities.

r1.PNG
mine.jpg

7.jpeg

Attachments

• GTX680-4GB-ROM.zip
    172.7 KB · Views: 7,031
  • Kepler BIOS Tweaker v1.25.zip
    94 KB · Views: 5,730
  • Nvidia-Inspector.zip
    232.7 KB · Views: 4,873
Last edited:

Prince134

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2010
Wuo.. Here it comes.

Cards I’m referring to: EVGA GTX 680 FTW+ 4 GB

After scouring the web I located a modded rom file for the 4GB version of the card. It’s obviously the rom from the 2GB Mac card, same one that’s been posted here on Mac Rumors. Version number and date are identical. However it’s been modified to work with the 4GB card. So I flashed my cards, one at a time to be safe, and low and behold I have my beautiful EFI boot screens back. Didn’t really know how much I missed them but so glad to have them back.

At this point there’s only one issue. My stock speeds of 1085MHz GPU & 1150MHz Boost have now dropped to 1006MHz GPU & 1059MHz Boost. These are the stock 2GB reference card values. Boooo….

I spent several hours combing through the hex of the rom in an attempt to locate the errant bits. Although familiar with hacking hex it’s a process that is tedious and can make your head hurt and eyes cross after a few hours. So I took a break and turned to scouring the web again for Nvidia Rom Hacking information. I found on a German web site a wonderful win utility with GUI for editing the clock speeds and several other parameters of the BIOS imbedded in the rom. Kepler BIOS Tweaker v1.25.exe

Here’s what I didn’t know. Will both the BIOS section and EFI section of the rom need edits to restore my clock speeds? I figure probably yes. This was a Windows utility to edit the BIOS so I thought at best I’d have my clock speeds restored in Windows but still have the slower clocks when in OS X.

I did the edit to both cards restoring my clocks to 1085MHz & 1150MHz and wrote the roms back to the cards. Rebooting to windows showed my clocks back to normal. Now booting to OS X was the surprise. The clocks are now back to the higher speeds in OS X as well! So the EFI needs no edit only the BIOS.

These cards are working awesome, full boot screens, full clock speeds & PCI-E 2.0. Just as if you walked in an Apple Store and pulled them off the shelf. (If you could…)

Good Stuff..... Enjoy ! ROM and utilities attached below for the adventurous.

The rom is just as I found it with reference card speeds. But you can tweak it with the included utilities.

Here it comes the 4gb rom for gtx680 Mac version.
I will give it a try.

Thanks.

Dr. Stealth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
SoCal-Surf City USA
NVFLASH Also

Oh.... You'll need NVFLASH also. (attached)

If you place nvflash.exe into the same folder as Kepler BIOS Tweaker you can read, save & write the roms to or from your card all from Kepler BIOS Tweaker. All with GUI all very easy.

Attachments

• nvflash_windows_5.134.0.1.zip
    403.5 KB · Views: 4,447
  • KBT.PNG
    KBT.PNG
    83.7 KB · Views: 4,003

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
So you're saying that I can use this Kepler utility to set the clock speeds back to normal on my flashed 2GB EVGA GTX680 Superclocked card (02G-P4-2682-KR)?

Dr. Stealth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
SoCal-Surf City USA
So you're saying that I can use this Kepler utility to set the clock speeds back to normal on my flashed 2GB EVGA GTX680 Superclocked card (02G-P4-2682-KR)?

That is correct..... =) Both mine are back to normal speeds on win & os x.

For your card you would only need to change 3 fields to be back to normal.

Base Clock: 1058MHz
Boost Clock: 1113MHz
Memory Clock: 3104MHz They advertise 6208 MHz (effective) but actual is 1/2 that or 3104.

Last edited:

xcodeSyn

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
Both mine are back to normal speeds on win & os x.

Thanks so much for sharing the Kepler BIOS tweaker. I just used my original ROM copy to confirm the original settings and reset them accordingly in the Mac ROM. It's nice to be back to the original overclocked speeds.

Durex

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2009
If this works for EVGA FTW+ 4GB cards, would it work for other EVGA 4GB cards too, like the EVGA GTX 680 Classified 4GB ?

What would the appropriate clocks be?

Dr. Stealth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
SoCal-Surf City USA
If this works for EVGA FTW+ 4GB cards, would it work for other EVGA 4GB cards too, like the EVGA GTX 680 Classified 4GB ?

What would the appropriate clocks be?

Yes, the utility is for Nvidia Kepler cards...

Just checked the EVGA site for the GTX680 4GB Classified....

They say:

1111MHz Base Clock
1176MHz Boost Clock
3004MHz Memory Clock (1/2 effective speed)

----------

Can i tweak Macvidcards one to higher factory clock? ( i only have 2 6 pins mac pro 2010 ho extra PSU)

this one (it seems down clocked):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nvidia-GeFo...841?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item35c80aae31

You should really check with Macvidcards to find if in fact the card was down-clocked as a result of the rom flash. It may be running at it's native speed.

marbeljoyce

macrumors member
May 13, 2013
yeah those are factory clocks most likely, i would expect Macvidcards to stay on top of the game.

Thank you sir!

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA

They say:

1111MHz Base Clock
1176MHz Boost Clock

----------

You should really check with Macvidcards to find if in fact the card was down-clocked as a result of the rom flash. It may be running at it's native speed.

Does a GTX680 with a 8-pin power connector "down-clock" if only a 6-pin power cable is plugged into it (without any jumpers to the unused pins)?

Dr. Stealth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
SoCal-Surf City USA
Just curious, would the 680 roms work for the 670? I'd like to flash at least one of my 670 2gb for bootscreen.

I'm no expert but I kind of doubt it. Even the 680 2GB rom did not work with the 680 4GB cards until someone hacked it.

----------

Does a GTX680 with a 8-pin power connector "down-clock" if only a 6-pin power cable is plugged into it (without any jumpers to the unused pins)?

According to Macvidcards.... No it does not. He's done testing with them and says with either cable setup the benches come out the same.

patlee88

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2010
Finally! That's great to have 4Gb Gtx680 rom image available, and I definitely will give a try for that. Actually I did read through the thread of flashing Gtx680 2Gb, but still confusing as:

A/ I'm using MacPro 2010, with Pc zotac Gtx680 4gb install, I heard that the flashing process can be done using bootcamp windows, and there is no need to have extra display card to do the process, if anyone can provide the steps in details? Thanks

P.S/ Im using windows 7 64bit

Dr. Stealth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
SoCal-Surf City USA
Finally! That's great to have 4Gb Gtx680 rom image available, and I definitely will give a try for that. Actually I did read through the thread of flashing Gtx680 2Gb, but still confusing as:

A/ I'm using MacPro 2010, with Pc zotac Gtx680 4gb install, I heard that the flashing process can be done using bootcamp windows, and there is no need to have extra display card to do the process, if anyone can provide the steps in details? Thanks

P.S/ Im using windows 7 64bit

Okay..... All the standard disclaimers apply. Don't cry to me if anything goes wrong. :D

1. Download- nvflash_windows_5.134.0.1 - Kepler BIOS Tweaker v1.25 - GTX680-4GB-ROM - Links above.

2. Unzip contents of Nvflash to folder.

3. Unzip GTX680-4GB-ROM and put it in the same folder.

4. Unzip Kepler BIOS Tweaker and put it in the same folder.

5. Folder should now look like this.

rom1.png

*************** Important ! SAVE your Original BIOS file ! ********************************
6. Start Kepler BIOS Tweaker and use "ReadBIOS" button to read the PC rom image from your card!

7. Click "Save BIOS As" button to save your Original PC rom image to your computer!
***********************************************************************************************

8. Use "Open BIOS" button to open the Mac rom image. GTX680-4GB-ROM.rom

9. It should look exactly like this.

rom2.png

10. Now press the "FlashBIOS" button. A command prompt window (nvflash) will open and flash your rom. If it asks you to continue click Y. Wait for it to finish ! Takes maybe 30 seconds.

11. You're finished, re-boot to OS X or Windows to verify all is well.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
I did this yesterday; 1) downloaded the Kepler BIOS Tweaker and NVFLASH, 2) put these into the same directory in Windows (bootcamp), 3) executed the Kepler program, 4) read the BIOS, 5) updated the values (base/boost/memory clock), 6) flashed the bios, and finally 7) prayed for 1 minute...

It worked just fine, and the MHz I lost when flashing my PC GTX680 card I now have back. Hurray!

Thanks to Dr. Stealth for providing this thread!!!!

Dr. Stealth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
SoCal-Surf City USA
Verify Power Control Settings

It worked just fine, and the MHz I lost when flashing my PC GTX680 card I now have back. Hurray!

Thanks to Dr. Stealth for providing this thread!!!!

No problem, glad to help. Hey Killerbob, one thing I did not mention. Verify the "Power Control" settings of your Original PC ROM and set your Mac ROM settings to the same. (you did save a COPY right ?) :D

The Power Control settings generally get bumped up a bit as the clock speeds increase from the reference values.

enjoy....

Attachments

• bob.PNG
    bob.PNG
    50 KB · Views: 2,769
Last edited:

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
I hadn't actually, but I do have the original BIOS from before flashing it with the GTX680 Mac BIOS. Comparing that with the current BIOS settings, they are exactly the same as for the Power Control.

One thing though is;

In the original settings, for the GK104 Board - 20020000. Date 07/13/12, Version 80.04.47.00.80, the Base Clock is 1058.5 as you suggest. The Memory Clock is 3104, but the Boost Clock is 1124 MHz. You suggest a Boost Clock of 1113 MHz. Also, what should I set the Boost Limit to?

Where did you find the settings suggested by EVGA (link)?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ant3000

Dr. Stealth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
SoCal-Surf City USA
I hadn't actually, but I do have the original BIOS from before flashing it with the GTX680 Mac BIOS. Comparing that with the current BIOS settings, they are exactly the same as for the Power Control.

One thing though is;

In the original settings, for the GK104 Board - 20020000. Date 07/13/12, Version 80.04.47.00.80, the Base Clock is 1058.5 as you suggest. The Memory Clock is 3104, but the Boost Clock is 1124 MHz. You suggest a Boost Clock of 1113 MHz. Also, what should I set the Boost Limit to?

Where did you find the settings suggested by EVGA (link)?

I think I just pulled yours specs off the web... My have been a different version of the card.

So... Here's the bottom line. If you have a copy of your original BIOS before flashing (you should). Make all the settings on the first tab (Common) of the Tweaker match. The new Mac rom settings on this first tab should ALL match your original unflashed PC rom.

You can use "Open BIOS" from Tweaker to open your original PC rom file and verify all the settings.

There's no risk, your just setting everything back to the way is was when you bought the card. You just now have the EFI for the boot screens. :D

Just re-checked your card specs at Newegg. You are correct. Your Boost Clock should be 1124MHz.

Last edited:
Reactions: m4v3r1ck

patlee88

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2010
Boom!! It works. Finally my Zotac 4GB gtx680 can see the grey screen again. Thanks for everyone effort.

Reactions: Derived

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Now i really wish id bought the Mac Pro whilst it was still available in the UK, instead i (stupidly) held out for the refresh, so instead of having to do some slight hacking of a couple of GPU cards, ive now got to build and hack together a hackintosh PC that can output Thunderbolt, so i can hide it away from my desk and use my iMac as a monitor.

Reactions: JamesPDX

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona

Oh how silly. Don't you realize that the new pro computer paradigm is soldered-in GPUs? Upgrading a computer is so last year:)

Durex

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2009

They say:

1111MHz Base Clock
1176MHz Boost Clock

Thanks for this! I've got a GTX680 4GB Classified on the way, and I already have the 450W aux. power supply for the 2x 8-pin connectors it needs. I've read your thread on fitting the aux power supply and it's the neatest approach I've seen --- I'm gonna copy it :D

It might take me a little while to get it all done, but I'll report back how it works out!

Cheers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.