Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
United States
This is about Forums not related to news/rumors.

Why is it that the people who most often post replies to legitimate thread posts, either: A, only read one sentence or paragraph, then make ignorant replies (happens way too often, sometimes even after saying something again in a reply). OR B, seem to just jack you around for the fun of it...after all that's what forums are for, right? (wrong, BTW)

I'm tired of all the crap not related to the O.P. in a Forum thread.

What can be done about this?

OR, is there a better forum for discussing issues with apple products?

Sackvillenb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Canada! \m/
Honestly, it's simply because people are dumb.

They can be dumb, impulsive, lazy, immature, and emotional. And some of them are simply deliberate "Trolls".

It can be difficult to maintain intelligent and mature discussions about many topics, especially topics that people feel strongly about (because then they start making emotionally charged decisions).

I think this problem is quite unavoidable any time you have a group of people interacting, wether it's on a forum or in real life.

I guess we just need to focus on the facets of the discussion that are worthwhile: the comments and discussion generated by the more mature and reasonable members of our community.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA

Why is it that the people who most often post replies to legitimate thread posts, either: A, only read one sentence or paragraph, then make ignorant replies (happens way too often, sometimes even after saying something again in a reply). OR B, seem to just jack you around for the fun of it...after all that's what forums are for, right? (wrong, BTW)

Two suggestions...

First...it is necessary to develop a thick skin, because everyone gets teased or flamed at times. Also, at times folks will "hack around"...it's not the end of the world. Annoying to you, no doubt, but it happens.

Second...and much more important - if you feel a post is Off Topic, Trolling, or otherwise inappropriate, send in a Post Report. That's it's purpose. The Mods will evaluate your Report. They may not always agree, but it's worth it anyway. And if they agree with your complaint, action will be taken, even though it may not be obvious to the person who sent in the Post Report.

famous600

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010

It's the Internet, what did you expect? People have said whatever they wanted for quite some time now. You can choose to disagree with what is said and that's your right. This is a public forum not Nazi era Germany. What's next? A good old fashioned book burning?

benji888

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
United States
It's the Internet, what did you expect? People have said whatever they wanted for quite some time now. You can choose to disagree with what is said and that's your right. This is a public forum not Nazi era Germany. What's next? A good old fashioned book burning?

This is exactly the attitude I am talking about. "This is a public forum not Nazi..." You are taking things too extreme here, in the other direction. Are you serious? I am not talking about censorship.

One goes to a forum to find information on a particular subject. They go to the section on that subject, find the sub-section related to it and read or post there, because that fits what they are interested in. They write a post that can't be said in one paragraph, and they might not word things exactly so everyone gets it (which is why one might try to explain it). Then people see the new post and only speed read or read a small part of the original post and respond snidely to how something was said, or make an ignorant response (they tell me to do something I already had written I did, but it wasn't in the first paragraph, they didn't read that part), or say something like you here, which has nothing to do with: 1) the section of the forum I posted in, 2) the original post (which is the reason for the thread). Arg. It's frustrating because of how much time I waste, (like right now).

I started a thread and most of the people that are responding did not read it, they read one sentence or the first paragraph or the last post and missed the point entirely. Why do people respond if they are not even willing to read the original post? This is not the fist time, either. It's gotten way out of hand, it didn't used to be this way.

Ugh.

Maybe I need to go do more with macworld forums or...someone know of a better one? One that isn't infiltrated with people who type before they use their brains?

----------

...First...it is necessary to develop a thick skin, because everyone gets teased or flamed at times. Also, at times folks will "hack around"...it's not the end of the world. Annoying to you, no doubt, but it happens.

It just has gotten way out of hand. It doesn't really have to do with having a thick skin, it's wasting their and my time (except for the mean ppl, they enjoy what they do). And it's frustrating when someone might possibly be honestly trying to be helpful but just didn't read the whole post, so they tell me to do something I already stated that I did (for instance), and I have to repeat myself.

famous600

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
This is exactly the attitude I am talking about. "This is a public forum not Nazi..." You are taking things too extreme here, in the other direction. Are you serious? I am not talking about censorship.

One goes to a forum to find information on a particular subject. They go to the section on that subject, find the sub-section related to it and read or post there, because that fits what they are interested in. They write a post that can't be said in one paragraph, and they might not word things exactly so everyone gets it (which is why one might try to explain it). Then people see the new post and only speed read or read a small part of the original post and respond snidely to how something was said, or make an ignorant response (they tell me to do something I already had written I did, but it wasn't in the first paragraph, they didn't read that part), or say something like you here, which has nothing to do with: 1) the section of the forum I posted in, 2) the original post (which is the reason for the thread). Arg. It's frustrating because of how much time I waste, (like right now).

I started a thread and most of the people that are responding did not read it, they read one sentence or the first paragraph or the last post and missed the point entirely. Why do people respond if they are not even willing to read the original post? This is not the fist time, either. It's gotten way out of hand, it didn't used to be this way.

Ugh.

Maybe I need to go do more with macworld forums or...someone know of a better one? One that isn't infiltrated with people who type before they use their brains?

----------

It just has gotten way out of hand. It doesn't really have to do with having a thick skin, it's wasting their and my time (except for the mean ppl, they enjoy what they do). And it's frustrating when someone might possibly be honestly trying to be helpful but just didn't read the whole post, so they tell me to do something I already stated that I did (for instance), and I have to repeat myself.

Yet again, it is a PUBLIC forum. If you have such a big problem with people saying really anything different then what YOU are looking for then go somewhere else. I'm sure everyone will miss your excellent thought provoking posts and excellent content you bring to this forum. What's your plan kick anyone out of here that strays from this self determined line of what is appropriate?

benji888

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Yet again, it is a PUBLIC forum. If you have such a big problem with people saying really anything different then what YOU are looking for then go somewhere else. I'm sure everyone will miss your excellent thought provoking posts and excellent content you bring to this forum. What's your plan kick anyone out of here that strays from this self determined line of what is appropriate?

How is it you think your posts are helpful?

famous600

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010

Exactly. How dare anyone express any type of opinion. YOU asked a question. If you wanted to ask a question to a specific moderator then why not PM them? This wasn't even supposed to turn into an argument. It is just simply what do you expect? Sure it would be nice if everyone was respectful and was mature in their thought process. Every post has that one person just looking for trouble.

Last edited:

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
Shrink and famous600 are spot-on; it's a public forum, and keep in mind there are over 800,000 members. That means that not everyone is going to be helpful, and that some people will try to be humorous, but that humor won't always be understood or appreciated.

We prefer that people aren't rude, but we can't make everyone nice by way of the rules.

But the advice about using the report button when there are off-topic or rule-breaking posts is good. If the thread gets off-topic due to the kind of answer you're talking about, we'll clean it up.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Honestly, it's simply because people are dumb.

They can be dumb, impulsive, lazy, immature, and emotional. And some of them are simply deliberate "Trolls".

It can be difficult to maintain intelligent and mature discussions about many topics, especially topics that people feel strongly about (because then they start making emotionally charged decisions).

I think this problem is quite unavoidable any time you have a group of people interacting, wether it's on a forum or in real life.

I guess we just need to focus on the facets of the discussion that are worthwhile: the comments and discussion generated by the more mature and reasonable members of our community.
Wrong. Respondents to one of his most recent threads suggested that the thread was misleading. That his title stated one thing and his post stated another. I agree and I responded to his thread. He was not getting the answers he wanted and therefore, the tantrum.

People are not dumb. What people are dumb? Your people? Maybe, but not all people.

Did it ever occur to you that people try to help but you are not exactly clear or that people don't have the same problem as you do so they're explaining that you are isolated? If you don't like a post then report it. Just because you don't like it though, doesn't mean it will go against the many rules on this site. Rules you are welcome to read if you click the FAQ/Rules tab up top.

Threatening to leave a website is silly. There are many sites like this around with a varied amount of users. Just use those other sites if you want, but threatening to leave doesn't really do much. Long time members have threatened and carried out the threats to leave and no one blinked, no one.

No one is wasting their time by force. If you feel your time is wasted by reading replies to your posts then perhaps you should just ignore them?

You'll be treated as you treat people. His posts have been far more helpful thus far.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
If you wanted to ask a question to a specific moderator then why not PM them?
iThink™, he should use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of this page.

If not, he gets the appropriate answer:
spam_laser.gif
<- Mod

Just my experience. :)

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Assuming you are talking about the thread I think you are, it's easy to see why you got the responses you did. You posted an inflammatory thread title that really had nothing to do with your issue which was possibly a bug in ios7 and/or you not understanding how to disable the app updates over cellular.

I see nothing that warrants any kind of reporting given the tone of your title and original post.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011

You are in the internet, in a forum with too many kids with too much ego and no much experience. They are here because is where they can be right or to pretend they are. It is call Internet by the way.

So, when something like that happen just do not take it personal, understand you may too wasting your time in a web site just for leisure.

You can get important info or see responses but do not get hooked up into things.

As I always say to everyone: Internet is just a data base to get info, period. It is not to socialize.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Assuming you are talking about the thread I think you are, it's easy to see why you got the responses you did. You posted an inflammatory thread title that really had nothing to do with your issue which was possibly a bug in ios7 and/or you not understanding how to disable the app updates over cellular.

I see nothing that warrants any kind of reporting given the tone of your title and original post.

inflammatory? I was trying to warn others that if you are using iTunes Radio over cell data, you may get more than you bargained for. I for one, can't go over a certain amount.

----------

You are in the internet, in a forum with too many kids with too much ego and no much experience. They are here because is where they can be right or to pretend they are. It is call Internet by the way.

So, when something like that happen just do not take it personal, understand you may too wasting your time in a web site just for leisure.

You can get important info or see responses but do not get hooked up into things.

As I always say to everyone: Internet is just a data base to get info, period. It is not to socialize.

I think you hit the nail on the head. A few years ago I had to wait for a response if I posted something. Now, people respond without reading everything, and there's all kinds of crap to weed through. ...goes for just about anything on macrumors forums, really.

----------

...Threatening to leave a website is silly. There are many sites like this around with a varied amount of users. Just use those other sites if you want, but threatening to leave doesn't really do much. Long time members have threatened and carried out the threats to leave and no one blinked, no one....

Actually, I was asking where else to go? I used to use macworld forums, but they moved it from the top line of their website some time ago, buried it.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
inflammatory? I was trying to warn others that if you are using iTunes Radio over cell data, you may get more than you bargained for. I for one, can't go over a certain amount.

You found a bug in very early pre-release software. No more no less.

iTunes Radio: no unlimited data plan? Beware! when you've just found a bug IS an inflammatory title. You wanted different responses; I'm telling you from the point of great experience why you got the responses you did. If the title had been; iOS 7 - unable to disable automatic app updates via cellular (bug?) or something similar you would have gotten very different responses.

glutenenvy

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
WA

I noticed the title and thank you for these. But what I was really looking for were some internet links to return to my pre-internet life back when it was a new thing to overhear people talking about games and messaging through BBSs, before AOL littered us with floppies and later CDROMS. A hot tub and an energy drink might do the trick.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Actually, I was asking where else to go? I used to use macworld forums, but they moved it from the top line of their website some time ago, buried it.
You can do a search for "mac forums" and find all kinds of forums to join. Good luck with that.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I noticed the title and thank you for these. But what I was really looking for were some internet links to return to my pre-internet life back when it was a new thing to overhear people talking about games and messaging through BBSs, before AOL littered us with floppies and later CDROMS. A hot tub and an energy drink might do the trick.

Allright here you go:
http://www.amazon.com
buy stuff and I will get some cold ones and we will meet up at 8? :)

------
Anyways, TS, chill, this is the internet and people will be people... Read what you need, throw out the rest from your brain and if your thread gets too out of place then state it so in a reply so that it can get back on track (nicely always helps).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.