Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

French site Nowhereelse.fr shares [Google translation] a photo of what are claimed to be trays of batteries for the iPhone 5S coming off of a production line. While their identity as iPhone 5S batteries can not be confirmed due to a lack of markings on them, if the claim is true it would be further evidence that production is indeed ramping up for the next-generation iPhone.

iphone_5s_batteries_tray.jpg
Alleged iPhone 5S batteries
Over the past week, we've shared several photos of a prototype iPhone 5S manufactured in December 2012, revealing that the battery offers a higher capacity than the iPhone 5 battery, moving from 5.45 Whr and 1440 mAh to 5.92 Whr and 1560 mAh, an increase of roughly 8%.

iphone_5s_battery_front_rear.jpg
Battery from December 2012 iPhone 5S prototype
Our photos show that the battery in the prototype iPhone 5S is itself a prototype, with a number of placeholders for various regulatory logos and identification numbers.

Earlier this week, a photo of iPhone 5S display assemblies on a production line also appeared, with the new parts identifiable by a change in the design of the flex cable connectors.

The iPhone 5S is expected to be introduced later this year, with the September timeframe being the most commonly claimed window for launch.

Article Link: Alleged iPhone 5S Batteries Photographed on Production Line

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
They're 'finger gloves' for handling stuff without leaving fingerprints..

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
They appear to be finger cots, worn to prevent contamination of the parts when full gloves aren't needed.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Not sure why all these rumors are saying 5S when these simply could be reduced price iPhone 5 as they have done ever year. I think the 4s has a slight redesign on internal stuff when they $99 version was released.

Not saying we won't see a 5s, but there is a chance we could see a redesign 6 to go along with iOS7.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
A bigger battery to accompany all the energy saving features of iOS 7? How innovative!
You mean like the increased GPU/CPU usage for Parallax and Transparency across the entire OS?

I'm not sure if you are serious or sarcastic.

jfx94

macrumors regular
May 22, 2013
where ever I am at.
You mean like the increased GPU/CPU usage for Parallax and Transparency across the entire OS?

I'm not sure if you are serious or sarcastic.

Was meant as sarcasm. I've never seen apple put a smaller, less powerful battery in a new device. They only increase capacity and power.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Bigger battery because the narrow logic board. Either apple adding hardware features or increase the battery life.

But i'm guessing new hardware/software features with the same battery life as the 5.

Last edited:

Ajones330

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
SEC Country
Gotta see what the specs are on the next iPhone but my 5 is doing great. Not sure of what they could add to make me want to upgrade to a newer phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.