Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last month, Apple submitted plans to relocate its flagship San Francisco retail store three blocks north, putting the new store directly on Union Square, the heart of the city's high-end shopping district.

Despite initial praise for the project from city officials, Apple's proposal rapidly drew criticism for a number of its features, including an 80-foot-long blank wall along Stockton Street and the apparent removal of a sculptural fountain currently located at the entrance stairway to a public plaza.

The San Francisco Chronicle now reports that the city's Planning Department has issued its preliminary project assessment (PDF) on Apple's proposal, indicating that it would like to see a number of changes to the project.
There's too much glass on Post Street and too much metal on Stockton. The plaza that would accompany it needs a friendlier entrance. Planners also want the project to include a circular bronze fountain by Ruth Asawa that is the centerpiece of the plaza now on the block.

Despite all this, the city's top planner said Thursday that he sees no reason Apple can't build a modernistic metal-and-glass box within the historic setting of the Union Square retail district.
The city's planners object to the uniform wall of glass along the store's main frontage on Post Street, suggesting that Apple should do more to break up the wall by including colors or textures or vertical design elements. The planners also suggest possibilities for improving the blank Stockton Street frontage, including adding windows or pulling back the storefront to allow for landscaping and perhaps public seating areas.

apple_store_sf_union_square_large.jpg
Regarding Apple's controversial proposed changes to the public plaza behind the store, planning officials have asked Apple find a way to widen the entrance stairway to help draw in visitors. Apple is also being asked to try incorporate the existing fountain sculpture by noted San Francisco artist Ruth Asawa into the new plaza design, and if it is not feasible, to assist with finding a new location for the fountain.

The Chronicle also spoke with San Francisco mayor Ed Lee about the fountain. Lee, who had been unaware of its proposed removal following his initial viewing of the project plans, suggests that an agreement with Apple to secure the fountain's fate may be near.
"I've had some very good conversations with Apple and the managers of the Hyatt," said Lee, who praised Apple's plans in May as "incredible" but later told The Chronicle he hadn't realized the new building would disrupt the Asawa fountain. "I think a decision will be made in a short period of time."
Apple has not disclosed a timeline for constructing the new store and relocating its operations from the existing store at 1 Stockton Street, and its timeline may depend on how long negotiations with city officials take to achieve a design satisfactory to all parties.

Article Link: San Francisco Officials Suggest Significant Changes Needed for Apple's New Flagship Store Proposal

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
I still think it would be a better idea to relocate the fountain elsewhere in the city.

As for the store, a little more creativity wouldn't hurt, but I don't expect the final design to look much different.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
"The city's planners object to the uniform wall of glass along the store's main frontage on Post Street, suggesting that Apple should do more to break up the wall by including colors or textures or vertical design elements."

How on earth did we get to the point where we think this is a proper function of government?

macse30

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2009
The Planning Department also asked for colors or textures or vertical design elements on the iPhone5S.

Gauntlet999

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2013
Not surprising...

"The city's planners object to the uniform wall of glass along the store's main frontage on Post Street, suggesting that Apple should do more to break up the wall by including colors or textures or vertical design elements."

How on earth did we get to the point where we think this is a proper function of government?

Planning and Design Review have always been functions of city government, it may be frustrating at times but it's nothing new.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Agreed. Why does the government get to determine aesthetics for Apple? I'm pretty sure Apple is quite talented in that department.

I'm pretty sure that if we wanted to build a house, make an addition, put up a stupid fence on our own land, the govt would have a say in what we do. So, people shouldn't be surprised by this. As for Apple's designs? I agree, it's not architecturely pleasing to the eye and this is coming from someone who lives in a very contemporary house.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
Yeah seems silly there. if this is a new building you aren't following an existing structure. and seems like they'd like it to look like the other buildings around it.

OR someone on the committee LOVES the new iOS7 BOLD COLOR look and wants that!

FrizzleFryBen

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC

I'm okay with maintaining rules and restrictions for historic districts, but this certainly does not look historic at all. Most of the buildings in the background look terrible. Seems as tho apple would be classing up the joint

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England

What would you suggest city planners do instead? or would you prefer a system with no regulations? I can see their point if this design doesn't fit with the surrounding architecture. All they're trying to do is make a better city for the residents to live in. Don't see how that infringes your civil liberties or is it just because they are saying it to Apple. Thou shalt not question the wisdom and decisions of the all mighty Apple machine.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
and Apple has clean lines in their hardware and stores. Other than people the store is open and clean. The same look as this building. a straight-edge, clean look. that shows off the Apple logo and the store, inviting you to walk right inside. Another one of those "wow, that's a on of glass and grand showcase for the store.

and I DON't live in a modern house or a contemporary style look. I don't like that for my home but see it very befitting to Apple.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville

It has been for over half a century, even if you didn't get the memo.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
Take that ugly POS fountain somewhere else. I don't care about the rest of what the officials had to say but that fountain has GOT TO GO.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Apple should just build elsewhere.

Then that plaza, residents and others can enjoy that fountain and loss of revenue.

Because that fountain pays for itself and everything else...right?

gwillhite

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2013
It is standard procedure for city government to approve building developments. However if I were Apple, I would counter with minimal changes and if the city wants all of their edits I'd just build somewhere else. Government officials lack any vision in architectural design or creativity really, they're just addressing complaints from residents of the city.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
I work close to union square and trust me that nasty looking fountain needs to go. Drop that junk in the Haight somewhere.

Exponent

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Silicon Valley
Clean has turned into harshly cold

I used to be a fan of Apple Store design, but have very much soured with the direction it has taken.

What started off working well in small shops: clean and white, balanced by warm wood tables & shelves, has morphed with Apple's success. The stores are now large and harsh, and dominated by cold metal, glass, and concrete.

In particular, the new Palo Alto Apple Store feels like one is in a secure prison indoor "yard", and the quality of the sound is as warm and welcoming as its totalitarian looks.

Perhaps this transition is just another sign of the times, but it would be good to see the pendulum swing back to warmth, joy, and the human scale.

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Apple should submit plans for a 4 story parking garage, then give them a choice between the two.

pavelbure

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2007

Keep voting democrat.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
Why did they have to build where the fountain is? They shouldn't move a historic landmark.

----------

Apple should submit plans for a 4 story parking garage, then give them a choice between the two.

Haha
Or put a giant blue donkey on the front of the store.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011

It is, if it wasn't for government regulation my town,would have been a nasty highriser condo haven with no character, luckily the government regulates greedy builders.

So yes, I am all for distinct and unique and modern (I live in a converted school loft), but there should be some overall city character.

UnfetteredMind

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
Apple is also being asked to try incorporate the existing fountain sculpture by noted San Francisco artist Ruth Asawa into the new plaza design, and if it is not feasible, to assist with finding a new location for the fountain.

How about relocate it to the steps of Town Hall?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
It is standard procedure for city government to approve building developments.

They approve building projects in order to assess issues with the construction hurting traffic, other businesses etc. outside of historic areas they really shouldn't have the power to say things like 'you need more color'

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
Reminds me of
'Too many notes.'

----------

Agreed. Why does the government get to determine aesthetics for Apple? I'm pretty sure Apple is quite talented in that department.

Ask that again when a neighbor decides to put up a giant wall with a mural of dogs playing cards next to your house.
Government is involved because these decisions affect everyone's property values and in this case, tax revenues.
That means the necessity of heading off legal disputes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.