Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BoxBrownie

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2013
I agree with the previous post, Counter-Strike and Half-Life are extremely fun. If you don't already have it installed, head to steampowered.com and grab yourself a copy of Steam client. There are few free-to-play games on there as well such as great FPS Team Fortress 2.

Red Cube

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2013
Iowa
What is the best FPS for mac out there?

No windows (bootcamp, wine, etc) please.

COD4 is fun, but getting old.

Get the Steam client, and search for games by Valve (e.g. Counter-Strike, Half-Life, Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead, etc.) but oh, boy, do I have a list for you (it's sadly not alphabetized or in any order, just what comes to mind) so get ready. You will not believe how many of these I've played/own.

Garry's Mod
Half-Life
Half-Life: Opposing Force
Half-Life: Blue Shift
Half-Life 2
Half-Life 2: Deathmatch
Half-Life 2: Lost Coast
Half-Life 2: Episode 1
Half-Life 2: Episode 2
Half-Life 2: Episode 3 (if it's ever released)
Halo: Combat Evolved (only way is by torrent, ask me about it if you want to know more)
{Doom}
{Doom 2: Hell on Earth} - both need free source port to run (I recommend the Brütal Doom mod for both games)
Doom 3
Quake
Quake 2
Quake 3
Quake 4
Counter-Strike
Counter-Strike: Condition Zero
Counter-Strike: Source
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
Left 4 Dead
Left 4 Dead 2
Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition
Shadow Warrior Classic
Receiver
HaloMD
Ace of Spades
Ace of Spades alpha (far superior to the retail, find the 0.75 standalone port and instructions on how to join servers)
Cube
Cube 2: Sauerbraten
Red Eclipse
Nexuiz
RELOCK
Bioshock
Bioshock 2
Bioshock Infinite (when the mac port comes out next month)
Borderlands
Borderlands 2
SickBrick
Nazi Zombies: Portable
Insurgency 2 (called INSURGENCY on Steam, it is early access)
Postal 2
Serious Sam 3: BFE
OpenArena
Xonotic
UrbanTerror
Sanctum
Cod of Duty (OGM BEST GAEM EVAR HURR HURR HURR)
Nuclear Dawn
Red Crucible 2
BlackRose
AssaultCube
AssaultCube Reloaded (standalone port)
WarSow
ÜberStrike
Modern Combat: Domination (don't get this, it's a bad Counter-Strike ripoff)
Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45
Killing Floor
Day of Defeat (says it is PC only on Steam, but on the Steam page it also says Mac & Linux)
Day of Defeat: Source
Call of Duty: Black Ops - Mac Edition
Call of Duty
Call of Duty 2
The Darkness 2
Ricochet
Deathmatch Classic
Duke Nukem Forever (not very good)
Team Fortress Classic
Team Fortress 2
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

That's all I can think of right now. Only 74 FPS games for Mac... that's actually quite a lot. I've played only 45 of them, so I'm not sure if some of the others are any good Well, here you go. I'll recommend these before I go:

Anything by Valve (Half-Life, Counter-Strike, Day of Defeat, Left 4 Dead, Team Fortress, Deathmatch Classic, etc.)
Bioshock (Series)
Call of Duty (Series)
Nuclear Dawn
Insurgency 2
UrbanTerror
Borderlands (Series)
Garry's Mod
Doom (Series)
Quake (Series)
Halo: Combat Evolved

bluespider

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 12, 2009
Space Coast FL
wow what a list... thank you!

I've started playing insurgency. Steam is a great resource, I agree. It's the multiplayer that I'm really interested in... too bad Black Ops was only mac to mac and the multiplayer never really took off.

Red Cube

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2013
Iowa

I've started playing insurgency. Steam is a great resource, I agree. It's the multiplayer that I'm really interested in... too bad Black Ops was only mac to mac and the multiplayer never really took off.
Yeah, Steam is amazing, and better/more affordable than an Xbox or Playstation. Really wish I had insurgency ;_; but Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 fits into the same niche as Insurgency: realistic-ish tactical multiplayer

Last edited:

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
Unreal Tournament/UT2004, Quake 3.

Unfortunately there's no Intel native original UT for Mac, but you can find cider-wrapper versions that work flawlessly. Old game tend to do the best in cider. UT2004 has native Intel code, but the original installer is Power PC only. Quake 3, not sure about the installer, but the latest version has Intel code and runs across multiple CPUs.

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
I still always wind up coming back to Team Fortress 2. I have the most fun with that game. I don't know why I bother buying games on Steam anymore. I guess it's sort of like a tax to play Team Fortress 2 :)

Red Cube

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2013
Iowa

I just got Insurgency yesterday :D I love the crap out of it, and I'm making loads of friends in-game for some reason. It must be the type of people who play it. What's your steam? I'd love to play with another mac user, especially one who is the insurgency type.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
I would recommend the Bioshock and Half-Life series.

Isn't Bioshock Infinite coming out any day or week now for OSX? I know it's on Aspyr's upcoming list. Seems like worth the wait.

----------

Unreal Tournament/UT2004, Quake 3.

Unfortunately there's no Intel native original UT for Mac, but you can find cider-wrapper versions that work flawlessly. Old game tend to do the best in cider. UT2004 has native Intel code, but the original installer is Power PC only. Quake 3, not sure about the installer, but the latest version has Intel code and runs across multiple CPUs.

Quake 4 for MacOSX is currently published by Aspyr. They even sell it at the Mac App Store, so it likely can be bought everywhere else (Steam, DVD, Amazon, BestBuy, etc)

----------

Cod of Duty (OGM BEST GAEM EVAR HURR HURR HURR)

LOL. This sounds like a winner.

MacGamerHQ

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
Lyon, France
That's a tough question and I guess you will never have 2 different people agreing on this...

We did a Top 5 last week, with video and all. You can check it out here:

Other than that, we basically did a vote kind of thing and came out with Borderlands 2 on top and Black Ops, Deus Ex, Bioshock in the ranking too.

Wardenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2012
Isn't Bioshock Infinite coming out any day or week now for OSX? I know it's on Aspyr's upcoming list. Seems like worth the wait.

Its a good game but IMO it borrows too much from COD. Most of Columbia is off limits which is a shame. But its probably worth the wait if you insist on OSX version. Be interesting to see if the DLC gets ported.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
TF2 for me, too!

The graphics may not be spectacular or anything, but TF2 is quite simply FUN as a multi-player FPS title!

To me, the game never gets old, and since they made it free, you can't beat the price either!

The only disappointing thing about it, in my opinion, is a relative lack of different levels to play. They went crazy selling the in-game hats and other items that don't do anything other than give your characters a custom look -- but you still can't just pay a few bucks to download a "level pack".

Some of the custom levels offered on servers I do connect up to and try out are just lame, too.... Lots of them designed just so people can sit in them and generate huge numbers of points for their class of character, or quickly obtain items.

A few of them are truly unique though, like the Minecraft looking map, or the Super Mario looking one. But I'd rather just have more good maps that stick to the theme of the original TF2 levels.

I still always wind up coming back to Team Fortress 2. I have the most fun with that game. I don't know why I bother buying games on Steam anymore. I guess it's sort of like a tax to play Team Fortress 2 :)

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Its a good game but IMO it borrows too much from COD. Most of Columbia is off limits which is a shame. But its probably worth the wait if you insist on OSX version. Be interesting to see if the DLC gets ported.

If there is already DLC for the Windows version, then Aspyr may also make the DLCs available also at a future date.... just like they do with many of their other games with DLCs (e.g. Borderlands 2, Civ 5, CoD Black Ops, etc).

rampancy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
If you want to kick it old school, GOG is selling System Shock 2, the famous sci-fi/survival horror fps, for $4.99 as part of their summer sale (DRM-free and with a boatload of extras).

Erko

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2011
Estonia
You can try RAGE, its mac port is on Mac App Store and maybe on steam too. Played it on a PS3 and really digged the shooting mechanics. The story was kinda meh though...

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
What is the best FPS for mac out there?

No windows (bootcamp, wine, etc) please.

COD4 is fun, but getting old.

Bioshock
Counter Strike: Global Offensive
Half Life 2
Team Fortress 2 (Free)
Quake Live (Free)
Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Pro tip: Get a good FPS gaming mouse (like a Razer Death Adder) to use instead of Apple's gesture-based Magic Mouse. As great as it is for browsing the web, and navigating OSX, it's crap for games.

----------

You can try RAGE, its mac port is on Mac App Store and maybe on steam too. Played it on a PS3 and really digged the shooting mechanics. The story was kinda meh though...

It was also a short game, which seems be the trend in recent years. A little over 20 hours to play what was touted as an open world game.

Bioshock Infinite will be about 12 hours to finish.

Pompiliu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
Get the Orange Box from Steam.
  • Half Life 2
  • Episode 1
  • Episode 2
  • Portal
  • Team Fortress 2
Only 14 euros.

Trust me on this one. ;)

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012

I'm sorry, but how is Bioshock Infinite ANYTHING like the COD series? That is an insane comparison. Infinite is a moving, philosophical, work of art. How is that anything like shooting endless waves of faceless brown people? I know it comes down to opinion as to which you like better, but the two games are absolutely nothing alike aside from falling under the wide umbrella of "FPS".

Anyway, great list at the top of the thread! I would add both Portal games in there as well. They're more puzzle than FPS, but still excellent games. And the co-op in Portal 2 is fantastic (not to mention cross-platform with PS3 users).

Also: thanks to whoever mentioned System Shock 2 over at GoG. I know what I'm doing the moment I get off work.

Wardenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2012
I'm sorry, but how is Bioshock Infinite ANYTHING like the COD series? That is an insane comparison. Infinite is a moving, philosophical, work of art. How is that anything like shooting endless waves of faceless brown people? I know it comes down to opinion as to which you like better, but the two games are absolutely nothing alike aside from falling under the wide umbrella of "FPS".

Bioshock Infinitie is far more linear than Bioshock 1 and 2. The story is great buts its not as deep as Bioshock 1 and 2 IMO but those were more like adventure games. The selection of strategies in B:I is similar to options in the COD series (e.g. bombing).

Also, the use of just a few weapons is similar to COD. To be fair though, having 8 plasmids and 8 weapons in BS:2 with 3 types of ammo each was a bit much.

BTW, I never said I liked COD better - I don't own COD, I have only played it at a chums house. I like haddock though.

Nothing wrong with linear games as long as the atmosphere is good, good mechanics and there is a good story (e.g. Half-Life 2, Infintie). I am just saying its a different experience to Bioshock 1 and 2.

Indeed, Bioshock Infintie is probably one of the best looking games I own. Its art is awesome and the character models (esp faces) are the best I have seen in a game. Sound on my 5.1 is epic, Bioshock 1 and 2 has epic sound effects but I found it quite buggy sometimes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.