Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Not sure what to think of this, but Letemsvetemapplem have posted a photo of an alleged iPhone 5S home button:

1.jpg

I don't think it's real, but could make sense as a larger window for the fingerprint sensor?

Cult of Mac article here: http://www.cultofmac.com/233786/the...-the-home-button-icon-on-the-iphone-5s-image/

Cult of Mac said:
A new shot published by Letemsvetemapplem — which has a credible history with Apple leaks in the past — suggests that Apple might make a major change to the home button in iPhone 5S, replacing the icon that exists there now with a big, glowing Apple symbol.
On one hand, it seems a little unsubtle for Apple. A little too strongly branded. Apple usually places their logo on their devices so that it faces away from the device’s owner: Apple wants other people to know you’re using one of their products, not constantly bludgeon you with their brand.
However, the iPhone 5S is widely believed to pack a fingerprint sensor underneath the home button. Perhaps this sensor requires a larger “window” to work than the current home button icon could provide?
I’m skeptical, but we’ll see.

http://www.letemsvetemapplem.eu/201...hone-5s-a-home-button-tlacitka-s-logem-apple/

Jimbo47

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Looks like the logo is transparent. Maybe a window for a finger print sensor, or maybe this is their idea of a notification LED? The button lights up when there is a notification.

KenAFSPC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Another rumor out of Asia says that the home button will include a LED that lights up briefly in certain situations, such as to indicate a successful payment.

The home button can and likely will appear solid black most of the time. This is the first potential evidence I have seen for the "light up" home button. Otherwise, there is no reason for the cutout to be in the shape of the Apple logo.

DBZmusicboy01

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2011
iPhone 5S to have Apple Logo Home Button that includes

Fingerprint scanner AND LED transparent neon light notifications. Multiple colors :D that will be very awesome.

TheProFTW

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2013
Washington, DC
Another rumor out of Asia says that the home button will include a LED that lights up briefly in certain situations, such as to indicate a successful payment.

The home button can and likely will appear solid black most of the time. This is the first potential evidence I have seen for the "light up" home button. Otherwise, there is no reason for the cutout to be in the shape of the Apple logo.

I can think there might be an apple shaped white plastic in the back of the home
button, thus the reason it is transparent.. that's a huge maybe tho.

For all we know, it might be fake

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
I would much rather see a lighted Apple logo on the back, with the option to customize it to on/off/timer/on or off during calls or charging or incoming calls etc... than this!!

KenAFSPC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Fingerprint scanner AND LED transparent neon light notifications. Multiple colors :D that will be very awesome.
Don't forget home button gestures. If the home button has a fingerprint sensor, Apple can use the sensor to support gestures. That's a feature of the sensor technology that Apple acquired from Authentec.

Cody21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Honestly, I think it looks hideous. Just enlarge the current button icon and make it transparent. I hope it turns out to be fake.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Don't forget home button gestures. If the home button has a fingerprint sensor, Apple can use the sensor to support gestures. That's a feature of the sensor technology that Apple acquired from Authentec.
Finger print sensor, and capacitive touch sensors are not the same thing, and have in the past been exclusive.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Is it possible that this is just some custom work someone did on their own iPhone? For that it looks pretty good. I certainly wouldn't be able to do something that good on my own iPhone.

But for something officially Apple it looks old and uneven.

3rd Rock

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Over here
I don't buy it. Apple has its logo already on the iPhone..

"On one hand, it seems a little unsubtle for Apple. A little too strongly branded. Apple usually places their logo on their devices so that it faces away from the device’s owner: Apple wants other people to know you’re using one of their products, not constantly bludgeon you with their brand."

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-06-29 at 7.10.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-06-29 at 7.10.54 PM.png
    141.4 KB · Views: 256

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Agreed, it is awful.
Same here. One of the reasons I like the iPhone is because it doesn't have someone's darn logo or anything else distracting on the front.

I don't buy it. Apple has its logo already on the iPhone..

"On one hand, it seems a little unsubtle for Apple. A little too strongly branded. Apple usually places their logo on their devices so that it faces away from the device’s owner: Apple wants other people to know you’re using one of their products, not constantly bludgeon you with their brand."
That's a great quote. Where's it from?

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Looks like the logo is transparent. Maybe a window for a finger print sensor, or maybe this is their idea of a notification LED? The button lights up when there is a notification.

It is transparent. There is also a small circular opening to the upper (R) of the square. The part is square with the round button within. Zoom the image below.

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/06/iphone_5s_displays_production_line.jpg

IMO, I'm thinking scanner on the Square and a RED Notification LED under the small opening to the (R). :apple:

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Seems like a gimmick.

It's a gimmick if (assuming it's true) it adds no additional functionality; but of course we do know that yet. I can see a wide variety of possible uses for a notification light on the front of a phone that just happens to be in the shape of the Apple logo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.