Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
What do you reckon is going to happen in the next 10 years in terms of technology?

My guesses are:

iOS and OSX will merge.
Windows and Windows Phone will merge

Hard drive size will most like be around 10TB.

Smartwatches will be out, although I doubt they'll be very popular.

There will be smart appliances and they will be able to communicate with each other.

All new cars will have Internet capabilities in them.

Phones
Will be powerful enough to replace laptops for people, just dock it and full desktop OS will pop up on the screen.

The size will probably stay at 5", with super thin bezels, maybe even none.

The thinness will reach 5-6mm.

They'll be filled with all kinds of sensors. Touch sensor and recognition will probably be all over the phone, so when you just take it, it'll recognize you and unlock.

They'll still hardly last a full day.

Majority of phones will be smartphones, and the cheapest crappiest phones, will still have a 720p camera.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
I wonder what this guy has to say.....

1_2_captain-obvious-1024x377.jpg

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Apple will end up being Chinesse or have some middle eastern CEO, probably a kid with too much money.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
I wonder what this guy has to say.....

I thought his post was quite original. How obvious is technology in 10 years to you? 10 years in tech is eons... You'll be a millionaire if it were that obvious to say.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
iOS and OSX will merge.

Some would argue that already happened with Lion.

Windows and Windows Phone will merge

Seems like that happened with Windows 8.

Hard drive size will most like be around 10TB.

Probably.

Smartwatches will be out, although I doubt they'll be very popular.

I think they'll be out much sooner, or at least more main stream and they will be popular.

There will be smart appliances and they will be able to communicate with each other.

Just what we need, more computer controlled devices...

All new cars will have Internet capabilities in them.

They already do.

Will be powerful enough to replace laptops for people, just dock it and full desktop OS will pop up on the screen.

If cell phones will be that powerful, don't you think desktops will be even more powerful?

The size will probably stay at 5", with super thin bezels, maybe even none.

Nah the iPhone will be at 4.01" and they'll it innovation :D

The thinness will reach 5-6mm.

That would be hard to hold IMO.

They'll be filled with all kinds of sensors. Touch sensor and recognition will probably be all over the phone, so when you just take it, it'll recognize you and unlock.

Sounds like current tech.

They'll still hardly last a full day.

You don't think battery technology won't improve in 10 years? I read an article where a new type of batter is in the works. Super fast charging and last a lot longer.

Majority of phones will be smartphones, and the cheapest crappiest phones, will still have a 720p camera.

Who knows, phones might be outdated by then. We might have a whole new way of communicating and getting information.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
I'll be 46 in ten years.

Silicon will be gone replaced by graphene.

quantum will be on the high end.

we probably won't have phones in the way we think of them today.

organs will probably be able to be manufactured or really close to it.

3d printing will be in most homes.

cars will have actual effective crash avoidance.

Gas will be near $10 a gallon in the state and probably in a phase out program in Europe

thats a start.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
I thought his post was quite original. How obvious is technology in 10 years to you? 10 years in tech is eons... You'll be a millionaire if it were that obvious to say.

I think what he meant was that these are the sort of predictions that have been all over the tech community already. Obviously we don't know how accurate they are, but OP didn't say anything new, he just repeated what's already been predicted thousands of times before.

The truth is, as you say, technology is very unpredictable, and none of us can accurately work out what the next 10 years will hold. I doubt most of what the OP said is actually going to happen for this very reason.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia

They already exist They just are not prominent since no one buys them. Smart homes or home automation has been around for quite a while. It's really become quite affordable. But people just aren't buying into it.

There really isn't any benefit for the cost and labor involved. It's not that difficult to flick a light switch while automated lighting would be buggy and waste electricity if on a schedule instead of flicking a switch. Having the HVAC make your house more comfortable when you are getting close to home could be convenient and save some energy.

As for most appliances what's the point? If I already have soap in the dishwasher and it is loaded why would I want to take out my iPhone to turn it on when I could just hit the on button? Do I need my blender to turn on automatically? Would I trust leaving my oven on automatic instead of practicing proper fire safety by being home to monitor it myself?

They tried smart fridges a decade ago. With sensors and touchscreens they were a tremendous flop.

The problem with the home automation stuff is that the stuff that would be really compelling to home buyers is also much more complex. Making it very expensive and unreliable. Such as blinds or curtains that work on a schedule or when a command is given. Doors and windows that can open and close on their own and lock. These all require costly professional installation or the DIY homeowner that knows wiring and general construction.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
Cloud storage will be the norm, HDD for the the minority.

Filesystem. Old, fragile. Needs to go. In it's place? No clue.

Robots?

Solar powered electric vehicles.

Apple goes bankrupt :D

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
The main 'improvements' in computer technology won't be in areas of 'speed' or 'bigger' (as in HDDs) but in the area of miniaturization. While the physical size of the computer and cell phone won't get much smaller. While there will be all sorts of bleeding edge human-computer interfaces, the majority of people are still going to tap or type with their fingers and to look at a flat monitor. The alternatives will exist... there is no technology barrier to more advanced interfaces. It is simply that human abilities will limit their adoption.

All the components inside a computer will continue to get smaller. More and more integrated chips will be used. Pretty soon the entire computer - everything - will be housed in just 2 or 3 chips. The logic board will simply be used to physically extend the I/O functions to where they need to be.

Hard Drives won't exist anymore, at least in the form factor we have come to know and love. All main storage will be all be solid state, and it will all be integrated. Increasing main storage will be as easy as slipping a memory card type thing into the side of the computer. Some people will pay to make that card almost impossible to pull out since it is so easy to use.

Either we will do way with landlines entirely, or cell phones will be called something else. It makes no sense at all that these two devices share the same name. For some households, it will make sense to replace the landline with a cellphone that never leaves the house. That is.... each person has a cell phone, plus there is a phone for the house.

Gasoline will be astronomically expensive. In a complete reversal, the US will have started to place punitive sales taxes on carbon fuels to fund R&D into cleaner energy sources. This will have come about after several years of deadly and costly weather related disasters. Micro cars will be hugely popular, and public transit will be beefed up.

Just a few opinions.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
What do you reckon is going to happen in the next 10 years in terms of technology?

My guesses are:

The interesting advances will all be software. Who cares if hard drives get bigger and CPUs faster. I hope we will see advances in user interfaces and "strong AI" moving into more apps.

Perhaps web cams will be part of the user interface. Voice input needs to be MUCH better.

Image editors should be able to "see" objects in the image

I want the entire "messaging" system to merge and to follow me. vice mail on the phone text messages, email, social media and the like needs to all be routed through some kind of filter that "knows" where I am and what I need to hear/read now and what can wait.

Aylan

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2013
Boston
-An effective cure for cancer and most infectious diseases will be around but only the super rich will be able to afford it. (graphene based nano-technology or simply done through genetic engineering of viruses, much like the HIV virus that got "re-wired" to cure a child of cancer)

-The US will be in the middle of a "culture shift" in which the young generations are embracing technology, openness, and a move to a more peaceful global type of government while the old generations and the "powers that be" will stick to the old paradigm of imperialism and "American Exceptional-ism" During this time corporations will continue to be in charge and the affluent will have the latest and greatest while our infrastructure continues to deteriorate. Gas will most likely be around $7-$8 per gallon and our Mass Transit will not be up to par.

Technology will continue to advance at an exponential rate. The rich and capable will have access to technology that will allow them to live in a sort of Augmented Reality. Smart glasses will be the "rage" and it will be the center of your digital life. Always connected device with 1 (or 2) screens that will give you immediate access to every person you know through any available "channel" there will be no such thing as phone numbers, handles, etc. You will have access to the entire Internet through this device and by extension the entire database of the human species up to that point. Human-Computer interfaces will continue to become more intuitive, it will be gesture and voice controlled with an AI assistant to manage the interface. Storage will be cloud based with minimal local storage for cache purposes, etc. This technology will continue to advance to the point of having devices implanted in your eye for display purposes. The computing device may be in your pocket and communicate via wireless with the display device and the Internet. If a keyboard is needed then you will be able to project a holographic keyboard on any surface.

Electric cars will be like today's hybrids and everyone will want one since gas is so expensive. Solar power and other renewable energy will be mainstream. Planes will be the same as they are now with smaller planes being some sort of hybrid. Space tourism will be the thing among the rich.

We may all be moving to China.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Siri will work like the Siri in the commercials.

Apple will come out with a Mac Pro Mini. It will be the same size and shape as a soda can. It won't have any port as all the connections will be wireless, even power

A new 60" Cinema display (16,000 x 9000 pixel resolution) sporting Apple's new wireless display connection technology.

With the merger of OS X and iOS, there will be a cry for a dedicated OS just for computers. :apple: answers by creating a Hyper Operating System (HOS), code name "Forbidden Fruit," that only runs on Mac Pro and Mac Pro Mini. iMac owners will be forced to us the iOS X hybrid.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
You don't think battery technology won't improve in 10 years? I read an article where a new type of batter is in the works. Super fast charging and last a lot longer.

No, I actually think it won't improve in the next 10 years by much, if at all.

Thanks everyone for interesting replies, after the first reply, I thought this thread would be trolled hard but it's nice that most posters actually offered their serious opinion on the topic.

Dannel

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2013
At that time I will be 36 years old then.
Maybe everyone will use apple but I hope Apple's products will be much more cheaper than right now, so I can upgrade my apple ASAP :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.