Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beachguy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Florida, USA
A couple of weeks ago, my ATV (3rd gen) started pausing while playing video via AirPlay from my MBP. On the MBP it continues just fine- the pausing is on the AirPlay. I've restarted it several times (removed the power) and waited until there was the OS update, but nothing changes. The MBP is an I7 with 16 gigs, so it is more than powerful enough. Wireless is an Arris YN3720 from Xfinity (Comcast) which is provided to me (not my choice!)

As I was typing this and watching a film, it froze completely (the video.) I had to disconnect and reconnect to AirPlay.

Thoughts, suggestions...??? The ATV does NOT have this problem with internet provided video, only AirPlay.

Thanks!

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Also make sure you're not getting some interference on your WiFi.

I had terrible problems on 2.4Ghz in my 'hood - baby monitors, wireless CCTV, microwave ovens, all sorts of crud. Great connection for 2, 3 or 4 days, then almost no throughput for hours or even days.

It all disappeared when I went to 5Ghz.

Beachguy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Florida, USA
I'll try rebooting.

I don't think I have any interference since my neighbors are Canadian and went home for the summer (I'm in south Florida) but I'll look to see if I can change channels on this thing.

Many thanks!

Any other ideas?

slothrob

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
It sounds like you are talking about Mirroring. Then, most likely, either your Mac is choking on the real-time transcoding, or your network is being overwhelmed by real-time transmission of the complex video. Since it is being aggravated by simple actions on the computer, it sounds like the former.

How smoothly does something Airplay (not Mirroring) from iTunes? That will test the process without the transcoding bottleneck.

Beachguy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Florida, USA
The video continues to play just fine on the MBP- it's a June '12 I7 (2.6Ghz) model with lots of RAM (16GB). The ATV is what is pausing- audio AND video.

slothrob

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
The video continues to play just fine on the MBP- it's a June '12 I7 (2.6Ghz) model with lots of RAM (16GB). The ATV is what is pausing- audio AND video.
Right, so the problem is somewhere between getting the video from the desktop, through the network, to the aTV and onto the TV. I suspect it is the first step, since it was affected by typing on the computer. Remember that the Mac has to take the video it is playing and transcode it to mp4, then send that through the network so that the aTV can play the video.

If you try a simple Airplay (not Mirroring), which sends a properly encoded video to the aTV from iTunes without playing it on the screen, it should play fine, unless there is a problem with the network connection (radio interference from another electronic device, for example). I would find a free HD TV show from iTunes and use that as a test, as it will be relatively complex, but within specs of the aTV. You could try a full quality BluRay MP4, to really stress the system. If that plays fine, then the problem is at the computer end of the process.

Once you know where the issue is, you might be able to solve the problem by tweaking the problematic system. QOS settings or wifi channel change on the router or moving the aTV to avoid local radio interference, as a couple examples). On the computer, you might be able to remove a background process to improve the transcoding process. Hopefully, you'll be able to find a thread where someone has optimized their mac for Mirroring, in that case.

Beachguy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Florida, USA
SOme clarifications:

1. While playing video, the Mac is NOT in use otherwise.
2. This is video played locally on the Mac, not iTunes or otherwise.
3. How do you do straight Airplay?
4. This only started happening recently.

I am usually playing my video through VLC, since they are usually AVI or MPG vids, since I also have Windows machines used to play video.

Also, the router won't allow me to change channels. My own routers do, but I don't have them in use right now.

slothrob

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
SOme clarifications:

1. While playing video, the Mac is NOT in use otherwise.
2. This is video played locally on the Mac, not iTunes or otherwise.
3. How do you do straight Airplay?
4. This only started happening recently.

(5) I am usually playing my video through VLC, since they are usually AVI or MPG vids, since I also have Windows machines used to play video.

(6) Also, the router won't allow me to change channels. My own routers do, but I don't have them in use right now.
1. I'm not sure I know what you mean by this.
2. Airplay works best from iTunes, since you are simply sending a file to the aTV that it can play natively, not converting it in the computer first.
3. From a Mac, you use iTunes, select the aTV from the airplay menu (looks like a box being pierced by a "^"), then hit play.
4. Unfortunately, computers and networks are dynamic systems.
5. Windows machines can also play .mp4/.m4v. If you are using videos transcoded by someone else, they may simply be bad conversions that are taxing the limits of your system.
6. My Comcast router, when I had Comcast, allowed me to sign in and administrate things like channel settings. I think I got the default sign-in and password off the internet, somewhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.