Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Izaiah

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2013
FL
Were you able to unlock after receiving the email? I called on Tuesday, got my email on Wednesdy, but still not able to get the unlock. Curious as to how long it is taking for others.

Well, it does say to wait 72 hours, but I tried the day I got the email and it wasn't unlocked yet. I just tried again and it's now unlocked.

Stewie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2004
Austin
Well, it does say to wait 72 hours, but I tried the day I got the email and it wasn't unlocked yet. I just tried again and it's now unlocked.

Yea I know it said 72 hours, but I am not a very good at waiting :)

But a few hours after posting that I stuck my AT&T sim in there, the phone rebooted and was unlocked.

ross1998

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2013
I called tmobile And they did a unlock ticket. I got a email I wasn't eligible to unlock cause I have to do 2 payments of phone first. I called agian and this time I told the rep that I didn't get approved for the unlock and I need my iPhone unlocked very bad cause I'm going to Ukraine in 6 days.( I really am going). And got an email 6 hours later that unlock went throught and to wait 72 hours and connect to itunes

Stewie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2004
Austin
I called tmobile And they did a unlock ticket. I got a email I wasn't eligible to unlock cause I have to do 2 payments of phone first. I called agian and this time I told the rep that I didn't get approved for the unlock and I need my iPhone unlocked very bad cause I'm going to Ukraine in 6 days.( I really am going). And got an email 6 hours later that unlock went throught and to wait 72 hours and connect to itunes

Mine was unlocked after about 32 hours after getting the email. However the connecting to iTunes never did it for me. Only after I stuck another sim card in did iTunes acknowledge the unlock.

(Unless in the 3 minutes from the last time I connected to iTunes until I stuck the other sim in there apple actually process the unlock)

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 9, 2008
Hmm...I just submitted my request yesterday as I now passed the 60 days required to get the iPhone unlocked if you are on a prepaid plan. I just got this response.

T-Mobile Sim Unlock Request
Sim Unlock Reference: -------
IMEI: ---------------
Thank you for taking the time to contact T-Mobile. We have forwarded your request to the manufacturer. These requests normally take 24-48 hours, but may sometimes take longer based on circumstances that are not under our control. Please allow 14 days before submitting a duplicate request. If no response has been received after 14 days, please submit a new request.

NOTE: Since T-Mobile is requesting an unlock code from the manufacturer we cannot guarantee the response time or that an unlock code will be provided.

Thank You,
Sim Unlock Department
T-Mobile USA, Inc.

Seems to be a non-iPhone specific e-mail unlike the one posted here earlier. Will I get the iPhone specific one once T-mobile gets confirmation back from Apple of the unlock? Should I just try to restore my phone in a couple of days and see what happens? Is there a chance something is screwed up with the unlock request since their system didn't seem to know I had an iPhone?? I did double check to make sure my IMEI was listed correctly in the e-mail.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Should get the unlock verification within 24 hrs... No need to restore. Just pop in a non TMO sim and the phone will try to re-activate. If it does sucessfully, you're hard unlocked! :)

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 9, 2008
Should get the unlock verification within 24 hrs... No need to restore. Just pop in a non TMO sim and the phone will try to re-activate. If it does sucessfully, you're hard unlocked! :)

Well I never did get any other notification from T-mobile and after both restoring and trying different SIMs several times, my phone still didn't work. So I tried faxing a request to the number that was given earlier along with a copy of the note saying my phone was to be unlocked and my receipt and a note telling them that my phone is an iPhone and I thought the notice they sent me was incorrect.

About 2 days later I got the notification saying my iPhone would be unlocked within 72 hours. Finally tried another SIM again yesterday and it was unlocked.

I've got to say this was the worst unlocking ordeal I've ever gone through, but persistence paid off. It really shouldn't be that hard and T-mobile will hopefully get the process streamlined.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Sucks that you had such a hard time to get a simple job done. I guess it's the draw of the luck with pretty much any company now!

boelle

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2013
hi

i got an ipad2 off ebay and its locked to t-mobile uk

seller does not respond and t-mobile will not unlock, not even when offered Money to do so

now i live in denmark so need it unlocked unless i want a flat brick (brick since its tied to be used home only)

is ther any way arround my problem?

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 9, 2008
Are you sure it's locked? I didn't think iPads were SIM locked at all.

FlyUnlock.com

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2013
hi

i got an ipad2 off ebay and its locked to t-mobile uk

seller does not respond and t-mobile will not unlock, not even when offered Money to do so

now i live in denmark so need it unlocked unless i want a flat brick (brick since its tied to be used home only)

is ther any way arround my problem?

Hi, PM me your IMEI or serial number, I will check it if is locked. Maybe that there is another problem and its not caused by the iPad being locked ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.